Notices

Is ADHD medication safe?

Old 06-06-2003, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Is ADHD medication safe?

I'm a recovering 3 year vicodin/ oxycontin/ opoid addict (441 days, woo hoo!) and have been seeing an enterage of therapists and Dr.'s since last June. I have been taking lexapro for months and it keeps my spirits up, but it doesn't help my ADHD. All throughout high school I took ritalin 10mg 3 times a day which helped a great deal, (I'm now 29). I was considering going back on it, and didn't give it much thought until I mentioned it at a meeting, and heard mixed opinions (and very heated ones at that!). Yes, it is a 'controlled substance', but I don't remember that it made me feel 'high', then again I haven't taken it since I finished high school. My psych says that it wouldn't hurt to try it a week at a time, but that it's up to me to decide.

Dr.'s tried me on wellbuterin, effexor, and prozac, but the side effects were too much. Now that my depression is gone, he doesn't want to stop the lexapro (and neither do I because, well... I like being happy). I've heard that untreated ADHD leads to substance abuse, and I didn't start taking drugs 'till after I stopped the ritalin.

I'm trying to get all the advice I can, because (obviously) I've made some poor choices on my own. Being sober has been and is #1 in my life, so if taking my ADHD med is considered 'using' then there has to be an alternative. I don't know what the $%#@ to do because my ADHD is out of control. I've gone through 3 jobs in the past year, and lost them all because I just couldn't keep it together! It's like driving 80 miles an hour through a torrential downpour without windshield wipers! AARRGGHH!

I would appreciate all opinions on this or if someone knows of a
better alternative.

Thx -JoJo28
Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are seeing a doctor who is knowledgeable about treating addicts, then i would suggest you follow their advice.People at meetings mean well,but you will(as you know)find a wide range of opinions regarding the use of just about any medication.It's important to remember that most of us are not qualified to give medical advice.all any of us have to offer is our own experience,strength and hope.Most will agree that if you are taking medication as prescribed it does not change the fact that you are clean/sober.

I do know that my son takes medication for ADHD and does not get a high from it.It simply allows him to focus his attention.I resisted putting him on it because I didn't like the idea.but he was not functioning well at all in school in spite of everything else we tried.The difference it has made for him is amazing.He has always been bright and creative...and now he can shine because the ADHD is under control.

Keep posting and let us know how it goes

phoenix
Old 06-06-2003, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi,
I was an opiate addict among other things as well. I am on medication for my ADHD. Dexedrine 10mg extended release capsules twice a day. It greatly improves my decision making and concentration to stay on one subject and keep at it. Without medication, I am one of the ADHD patients who would probably abuse drugs. I have bad decision making because I don't think things out logically. The side effects are limited for me. Occasional tremor or muscle twitch is about all. I saw a doctor who was specialized in addiction before asking to be put on them just to be safe because they can be abused. If you have ADHD you won't feel the high unless abused and addiction is rare without abuse. I was tried on Ritalin at first 10mg three times a day but I witnessed many side effects and its efficancey was low. I was told this because usually adults outgrow Ritalin's effects. I hope you find what works for you. Good luck
Old 06-12-2003, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Most doctors agree that untreated ADD/ADHD leads to self-medication. I was hooked on the pain pills because they, ever so slightly, calmed my brain. Of course, that wonderful effect begins to wear off, but you still take them hoping to get the calmness.

As soon as I was put on Adderall XR, the desire for pain pills ceased. It slowed me down ... which is what I was hoping for with pain pills.

At one point, I was self-medicating with everything under the sun . . . downers, uppers, rounders, benders, upside downers. You name it, I did it.

What I have always found extremely interesting was how someone like me can take Adderall and be calm and focused and someone else can take it and bounce off the walls, staying up all night.

It's the people that don't need it, who get speedy and high, that draw the negative attention to it.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

epitomized

I would have to agree. I used pain pills for the same reason, to slow my a$$ down and calm my mind. ANYTHING to slow me down and that just led to anything. But the meds have deffinitly helped, I can think things out and not worry about self-medicating.