this is the card I plan to send.......your thoughts

Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this is the card I plan to send.......your thoughts

I so appreciated everyone's advise so this is what I plan to send unless someone really thinks it isn't appropriate...........
the front of the card says this:

I constantly remember you in my prayers
Inside it says............
and ask God to be with you
and to bless you
with good health and happiness always

Happy Birthday

that's really the best I could come up with and the funny ones just didn't seem right since we have had limited contact.

For my personal inscription I wrote this........
I think of you each and every day. I hope that the coming year will be better for you in every way possible. It is my prayer that you will strive to become the kind of father your son will be proud of and that you will cherish God's greatest gift to you, your son. He deserves a happy life and you do too.
I send you my love and my prayers for better days ahead.
Love, mom

so if you'd like to comment if that sounds okay I 'd really appreciate it. thank you in advance....dixie
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

I think it's a wonderful card, sweetie. I just picked one up for my own son, as
his 26th b-day is coming up on Thursday. It reads...

Front: A son is someone you want the best for always.
You wish him success in life, and while you don't say it quite enough,
you're grateful for all that he is and thankful for all that he does.
Inside: He is your heart, your joy, your son.
Happy Birthday
Love and happiness always,

That's the best I could find. Hubby was with me and I told him
about my idea of creating my own line of greeting cards.
For addicts/alcoholics, people going through divorce, codependency issues, ect.
I think in this day and age we really need greeting cards that say it, you know...
really say what we mean and mean what we say. lol
Don't anyone steal my idea. This is my mission statement in b/w.
Steal it and I'll sue. lol
Dixied... I love ya, girl.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you bookmiser. i needed that encouragement. tomorrow will be the first time I have seen or spoken to him since May. I really don't know what to expect. I just think it will be awkward and I am a little afraid of the unknown but I greatly appreciate your support. I do also think your card line would be great. I have a friend that just published a beautiful book on cats. The photography is amazing . If you are interested at all go to Amazon and type in Urban Tails. Just beautiful pics and done so artistically. thanks for everything. I do appreciate your kindness to me........dixie
Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you found the prefect card. Hope things go well for you !
Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Perfect! a few words that say it all!
blessings,
susan
Old 11-13-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My AS sons BDay is 12/25. Getting a card is always tough. His Mother (My Ex) celebrates Christmas so it's very tough on her those days. It's also tough on me because we had big family dinners celebrating the holiday/Hanukah/Birthday.

Don't want to hijack this thread...I agree with caileesnana - perfect choice of cards. Keep the communication open.

My thoughts go out to all.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Good choice of cards, and I'm sending my prayers that your visit goes well today.

Hugs
Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Perfect Dixied...just perfect.
I'll keep both of you in my prayers for brighter days ahead.
((((Hugs))))
Cece
Old 11-13-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

IMHO - the part you added to the card is another time that you are trying to teach + preach to him. When they are sick in their addiction they won't hear it anyway and it aliented my son even more. One yr. when he agreed to go out to dinner with his grandmother and I for his B'day he asked on the phone before we went: "Mom can you give me a present for my B'day?"
I said "yes" He then asked , " Can we make this B'day normal? Will you please not look into my eyes to see if I am stoned and please just for my B'day don't mention addiction or recovery." That is all he wanted. I honored his req. and for his B'day put my agenda aside. I think he taught me a lesson that day. I can't always be preaching and teaching. It only makes him estranged bec any call or visit he knew that was what he was going to get. Now I try not to load my convers. with questions. inquiry and shoulds. We get along a lot better when I do this. He knows what he should do and has shame about his choices even when not taking the steps to change. He knows how I feel w/o me having to tell him ea. and every chance.
It is hard for me not too but I remember MOM = maskingtape on mouth.
I don't always get it this way but for sure on the B'day.
You are a wonderful mother but there is no easy way when our kids are addicts.
Bless you and your son on the day you gave birth to him. I admire you.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can so relate to it being hard to keep your mouth shut at times. My ABF has asked me to stop pushing him he says he knows he needs help, but when its all I talk about its a constant reminder in his mind that he is sick. They will get there on their own and do it not because someone is telling them to but because they want to. We also get along alot better when I dont bring it up.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dixie I think the card is perfect. I thought that seeing my daughter after 7 months would be awkward but it was okay. It felt like we had not been apart. I hope your meeting goes well. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-13-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dixied
Just sending some more support from another mom for your meeting.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dixie,
I have worked for a greeting card company for 18 years, and I think the card you chose is absolutely perfect. I saw your thread earlier asking which one to choose, but only you can do that, and you did a terrific job!!!
And by the way, Bookmiser, those cards you speak of are already out on the racks. I put up one about recovery yesterday, they are usually in the "encouragement" section. We have divorce, etc, even sympathy for miscarraige. Beleive me, when there's money to be made in our business, someone has it covered!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think your card is very nice Your inscription is very sincere and touching. I would leave out the line containing 'becoming the father that your son will be proud of'.

From my experience, addicts would find this line to be insulting and offensive. My sister, truly thought she was a good mother during her addicted periods. When she was clean, she was very appreciative and thankful that my family took care of her son. We too always wished she would be a good mother.

By leaving the line out, the chance of upsetting your son will be reduced. It is painful having a family member with a drug problem, I think it is better to avoid unnecessary pain. For a birthday card, I would avoid the confrontation.

XOXOX