Extremely new here

Old 11-12-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery

In the event that you do attempt an intervention, I would love to hear the response/result that you get. It's an idea I've been thinking about for some time now, but I feel my mother is beyond that point. I wonder if there is a point during rock bottom where you are just too far down to get up? I am hoping and praying your mother is ready to accept the help she needs, and you too can get the help YOU need. It's a tough road, but with support, it's do-able I am sure
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nic

Wow...You've got your hands full don't you? I know what it is to live with and love and alcoholic mother...brother, father, step-father. It's hard and unbearable to think about what they are doing to themselves and us and all of the other people around them. I know what it's like to "keep the peace" and stay really still and try not to breath so you don't disturb them. Ever heard of the elephant in the room? I know those feelings. I also know the feeling of enough is enough and I'm sick of this!! I wanna control you! I wanna make you stop!! If you love ME then you'll quit!! Yeah...not likely to happen. For some people interventions work and are great...and then it doesn't for others. It's a crap-shoot I guess. Thankfully I've never thought of doing it. I've never had to. My family has decided on thier own to do what is best for them and most are in recovery. I'm very proud, but I guess that sounds like i had it pretty easy huh? Guess again. I watched quietly as they used. I stood back and did nothing even though I wanted to smack them all and tell them I hated them for what they were doing. But I knew I was powerless over it and there was nothing I could do. I just loved them in pain and found my own way to heal my heart. And I didn't allow them to hurt me.

For you, dear friend, I suggest finding a way, your way, to heal your heart. Heal yourself. The Al-Anon 12 steps are great for kids like us. We are afterall just kids ya know! Broken kids, but non-the-less, kids. We love our parents but there is only so much we can do to raise them. I don't wanna...do you? Really? I wanted to share a small part of my story with you...maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't, but we are all here for you and we are rooting for you no matter what you choose to do. Just please do what ever you do for yourself...if it will help you heal then go for it! But if it's for someone else only, rethink it...even if it's just for a second!

I wish you all the best!! My prayers are with you and your family!