Notices

Hi Everyone

Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't stop.

Hi Everyone

Hi! Here's my short little story...

I have been the codependent, ((the "moral compass", the "chastising" friend)) for two of my best friends for the past....God only knows how long. They are both strung out on drugs (a combination of prescription and anything else), in addition to alcohol. I realized something was wrong when my life was falling apart due to their addiction, but their lives are, "perfectly fine".

Last weekend I found this site, after three hours of searching. I refused to give-up, knowing someone else has got to be out there dealing with this as well. I have been sneaking around this site for a while - but now it's time to write something.

So, hi! I don't know much else I can do with this friendship..I don't know if it's better for me to leave them or stay.

Luvs
Old 10-22-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Autumn, and welcome to SR.

I'm an alcoholic, but in the last 6 months I've started to scratch the surface on understanding my codependancy with the help of CoDA meetings. Ever tried attending any? Here's the CoDA homepage to get you started if you're interested
http://www.codependents.org/

Glad you're here, you're not alone.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep reaching out, autumn. my daughter is an alcoholic/addict and alanon really helps me. nice to meet you, k
Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Autumn,

It's good to meet you - welcome.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Autumn!
If I understand correctly you're not an alcoholic and/or addict. But you do seem like a very caring person for your friends - that is nice.
In my modest oppinion and humble understanding of the condition I believe their's nothing anybody can do to help somebody else unless they actually want helping.
I'm an alcoholic. Many times my mom and dad and my grandparents and friends and probably everybody I know, at one time or another, have tried to do something about my drinking, but their was never anything they could do because i wanted to live like that.
Sorry, but that's the way I see it. I hope for you and your friends that you will be able to help them.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome autumn you will find a lot of good advice and support here.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't stop.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
Hi Autumn!
If I understand correctly you're not an alcoholic and/or addict. But you do seem like a very caring person for your friends - that is nice.
Yes - sorry if i didn't make that clear. I realize I myself have a problem because I try to control their addiction..which lead to my life falling apart! So that's why I need to be here - so I can learn to take a step back and away from them.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Autumn,

Welcome! You'll find lots of support here.