Notices

Battling on

Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Battling on

Been off the booze for a month now and have coped far better than i thought i would.The thought has crossed my mind a couple of times this weekend,but not in a serious way,just the idea seemed momentarily good.I've tried to be optimistic in general but lately everything is closing in.I have big problems at work which could mean a large loss of earnings in the next year, and as we struggle to get by now,is too scary to comtemplate.Also i've had a big falling out with a friend and feel that what he has done is inexcusable.I don't want to sort it out because he believes one thing and i another,in my view i have principles and he doesn't.Unfortunately i still have to work with him and it is putting me in a foul mood.
I've been working a lot and not getting much sleep and haven't been able to check in here much the last few days.With my wife being a non drinker and friends being drinkers,i don't know anyone who has actually stopped.With the hours i do and working around the kids i really can't see it possible to go to AA at this present time.I think as a result i rely on SR,there is so much support and good advice.However,i think what helps me most are the people that are clearly struggling.
Tonight i feel shattered,i got home 5pm Friday then back in work at midnight.I couldn't get any sleep until midnight Saturday and have to go to bed now 7pm because i'm working tonight.I don't finish until 5pm Monday and even though i don't work those hours every night i feel there must be more to life than working to survive.Apologies for the moan and thanks for everyones posts,you offer so much support and inspiration.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dave

You certainly sound a bit overwhelmed atm, you poor old thing . Congratulations on your sober time , excellent !

You know, I have found that the biggest threat to my sobriety, has been what AA people call H.A.L.T.s . If I get hungry, angry, lonely, or tired, it is a very vulnerable time for me. So I guard against this diligently.

Be kind to yourself , literally. eat properly, sleep when you need to, call a friend , and discuss your feelings ( thats where AA is invaluable), let go of the anger towards your friend, it will eat you up.

I know that with family responsibilities, and working shift work ( I do too) it IS hard to plan, but try to get to an AA meeting if you can, they are at all times of the day and night. If you could do that, you would have some face to face support from people who understand where you are coming from, and could no doubt share their experiences with you , and lighten your load .

I do wish you all the best , but do try to take care of yourself and get some support

HUGX
Leigh
Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was going to bring up the H.A.L.T. too. To me my sobriety is #1. If anything gets in that way I have to change something. Being tired is my biggest trigger so I pay special attention to that. I'm 30 days sober today and I don't go to AA meetings. I feel good and strong. These forums on S.R. is enough for me now. I'm not saying you shouldn't go, it's helpful but not absolutely necessary. I hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dave,

You really are working hard and I think you know it's not good for you. I'm not sure what you can do in your situation to change that, but being stressed and tired isn't going to be good for your recovery. I hope you can find some time to keep reading and posting here, because it really does help.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,
Remember to breathe.

Huge congratulations on your sober time.

Warm Regards
Evanna (also in UK)
Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Dave...Thanks for checking in
and Well Done on your sober time!

Blessings to you and your family
Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

It's good to see you - I hope things settle down for you, and that you are able to slow down and put more emphasis on your recovery.