Community Service

Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Community Service

I know we had a post like this not long ago, but I am wondering if anyone is doing any community service?
This week I am starting to counsel families at a rehab center not far from my home. I will be doing this twice a month. I am nervous about doing this, but hope that my me going there I will help at least one person a week. I hope they understand that they are not alone in this mess.
Let me know if you are doing anything to help others and what it is that you are doing. If you plan to do something.
Thanks in advance I hope this helps others to see what we can do for others.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Service has always been important to me. I don't feel like I'm the best person to give advice but I love to volunteer for church functions and such.

A hospital near my house is having a volunteer run halloween carnival coming up and I'm trying to get people excited to help with it. Its a great chance to get to help kids and thats always good for the soul.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Until our last move, I used to volunteer at a women's home for abused women (and their children).

As sad as the situations were, it was one of the most rewarding things I have every done and I plan to get involved here in my new city soon.

Good thread. And for those who haven't tried it, I guarantee you that you will get back even more than you give because service is so very needed in every area.

Hugs
Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Saron and Ann,
I agree with both of you that volunteering to help others feels good. I am happy that you both are doing what you can for your area. I want to help others and figure I will start this way, maybe in time I will help with abused woman/children or at the hospital.
Thank you both for sharing
Old 10-12-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in a "circle" that helps one of our local assisted living home. We meet once a month, have actually adopted two of the residents so we provide for their birthday and Christmas presents. Some of these people have no one to visit with them or to talk to outside of the home. We hold fund raisers and play bingo with them. Right now we are planning to do a Mardi Gras thing and have a "parade" inside the home with the residents in their wheel chairs throwing beads and stuff at us!!
It does help me take away the "poor me" attitude I get sometimes.
Thanks for posting.
Terri
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

bless each of you that do work like that.it is very noble. i try to be here for others if i can help them in any way but i do not have any particular place i work for.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wanted my kids to understand how good it can feel to give. For years we worked Santa's Workshop. This woman named Mrs Kinney used to have gifts donated to her home all year. She wold have them in different catagories, baby boy or girl, 2-4 yr old boy or girl & on up to age 18. She did this for 6 area hospitals. She also had a list of how many kids were termanal & it would be their last Christmas. They no matter what their age would get an angle bear. The kids & I would go work a couple weekends helping her wrap & sort.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

For those who cannot commit to a regular schedule of volunteering, there are many places that need help whenever you can give it.

Something very rewarding that my husband and I did for several years was to help the Salvation Army delivery Christmas baskets. It only took a day but I can't tell you how it touched my heart to see the smiles of the people, especially the children, who could see that they too would have a wonderful Christmas.

Children's Aid (I believe it is Child Protection Services in the U.S.) can also use help. Sometimes they need an emergency "safe house" where a child may stay for only a night or two until other arrangements can be made.

Hospitals need volunteers to read to children or write letters for seniors or maybe just listen to their stories for a while.

I feel so blessed in my life that I want to give back, but I have found that there really is a gift in the giving, my blessings never seem to deplete when I share them.

Hugs
Old 10-13-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the most rewarding volunteer services I have participated in was working a a safe house for young kids. Family services placed them there when they had to pull them from the house quickly and there wasn't time to get an appropriate match with foster care or find out if a relative could take the kids. We had the kids for a few nights or even up to a month. I felt as if I just wanted to fill them up with love and hugs and snuggles and laughter enough to hold them over until their young lives were less filled with chaos. Kids needs are so simple...just love them and help them feel safe and secure.

Pam, your counseling service sounds great - what a wonderful way to give back. Hugs
Old 10-14-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
I do community service. I have now for almost the past two years. It's a positive thing in my life.

Sigh