Notices

Moved out of my halfway house 1 year ago today

Old 10-01-2007, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Moved out of my halfway house 1 year ago today

On Oct 1st 2006, I moved out of my halfway house into my own apartment. i had spent 9 months there. wow i cant believe ive been living on my own for a year now! my halfway house was public and housed 18 people. mostly people were court-ordered there. i had 10 different room mates during my time there (all of them relapsed). 100 people most have come in and out during my time there and i am the only one who never relapsed. not very good odds but im grateful God chose to grant me the willingness. i knew it was time to leave when i kept thinking "i cant wait to get out of here so i can go to whatever meeting i want....when i want!"

i am forever in debt to my old house and still show up there for meetings on anniversarys. actually i get sentimental thinking about it because i think about where i was at when i lived there and where im at now. the journey of recovery is the most amazing, strange, wonderful thing ive ever gone on. it all started at a halfway house where i learned how to live again. a place that took me when i was a skinny white kid in chicago...scared to death, hungry, hopeless, and lost....and introduced me into a program that has since turned me into a healthy, professional, and confident kid.

tons of horrific things have happened to people i lived with there who relapsed. one was an incredibly friendly men who had 5 years clean (prison time) who relapsed out of the house one tuesday and died from OD by sunday. another was a 25 year old kid who i spent night and day with for 4 months before he relapsed. we were best friends at the time and spent hours up all night laughing. after 4 months he relapsed and was kicked out. one day 3-4 months ago he bought heroin for him and his brother and his brother OD'ed and died. he admitted to police he scored the heroin and was convicted of manslaughter and sits in prison.

thank God for the miracle of willingness that God grants us. that God i made it.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read your story in the other post and I must say that you are an inspiration to all that think things are hopeless. No matter how bad things get, there is a way out. I'll always remember that. Anyone who has managed to kick this disease in the butt can look back and see just how obvious the answer was. Those looking for a way out should be so lucky as to see the answer. It's right there.
Thanks for the post.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Amen to that.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really, you're story is amazing and just goes to show that it really is possible to recover.
Congratulations. Keep it up.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

proud of you, chicago!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

halfway houses

hey chicago,
which halfway house were you in? i recently got released from jail and am trying to find a halfway house in chicago. im not finding much info. online however.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please keep posting, you are helping people like me more than you know or realize. Nice work!