Sharing Methadone

Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Sharing Methadone

Hi Everyone. Can Anybody Share With Me Thier Experiences With Me About Tapering Off Methadone? My Abf Is On 20 Mg Right Now And Is Thinking About Going Lower. What Should I Look For And Can I Help? What Is It Like On Less Than That? He Has Been On 20 Mg For Almost 2 Months Before That He Was On 26 Mg, He Drops 6 Mg Approxiamently Every 2 Months, And So Far No Withdrawl Symptoms? Are They Coming???
Old 09-26-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I don't have clear answers, but I believe it is different for each addict and also personalities are different so how one may react may be very different to how your boyfriend may react.

Now I have a question for you, okay? How are you doing with all this? What are you doing to take care of you? I'm not challenging your recovery or how you are doing it, I am asking because I care.

For me, no matter how my son was with his addiction or recovery, the best thing for keeping my own balance was to go to meetings and do the "do" things needed for me to stay healthy. When things were good, it was easy. When things were not good, I needed to support of a group and the guidance of a sponsor to help me along.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but my prayers go out that this works well for both of you.

Hugs
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

I Am Doing Very Well, My Addict Has Not Drank Or Done Coke Or Heroin In Just Over 2 Years, He Has Also Quit Smoking Ciggs. I Am Very Well Actually. He Last Relapse Was Just Over 2 Yrs Ago And He Broke One Of My Boundaries. The Consequence To Breaking My Boundaries Was Going To Counseling One On One Addiction Counseling. He Has Been In It Ever Since And Has Not Touched Drugs Or Alcohol, But However Is Slowly Coming Off Of Meth Because He Feels It Is Not Good For Him, And It Is Not A Long Term Option. I Have Not Had To Deal With Any Drug Or Alcohol Related Incidinces Since That Day. I Think He Realized He Could Lose Me And The Kids, Which I Flew To My Parents House In Fl For 3 Weeks Until He Decided To Change Something (go To Counseling) I Have Been Very Grateful To God. All Is Wel.....finally. So How Has Your Son Been. I Remember Reading Posts From You Almost 2 Years Ago
Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nice to see you Audra, and I'm thrilled to hear of your BFs progress.
I would think he and the addiction counselor (if he still sees one) could answer that better for you.
Other than that, it sounds like he knows full well what withdrawal feels like, and will recognise the symptoms.
Keep taking care of you and the kids, he sounds committed enough to see this through.
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by AUDRADAVID View Post
So How Has Your Son Been. I Remember Reading Posts From You Almost 2 Years Ago
Nothing's changed since then Audra, I still haven't heard anything from him in over 3 years now and don't know where he is. I give him to God every morning and then just trust that he's in good hands.

I'm so glad things are going well for you and your husband. I know it can be a long journey and you've both done really well.

Big hugs to both of you.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Wow Ann I Had No Idea U Hadn't Heard From Him. That Must Be So Hard. It Is True God Works In Wonderful Ways. What A Great Grasp On Such A Hard Thing That Is Going On In Your Life. Trust God. He Is Good.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks, Audra. I trust God and I trust my recovery. That lets me see the beauty in each day and live my life well.

Hugs
Old 09-26-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((AudraDavid)))))

My son went to a methadone clinic when I first found out about his addiction to heroin. He went there for almost a year. Up to 85 mg toward the end.
He started tapering off because I told him that he would have to start paying for it himself. He was back to feeling normal and had a good job in a factory.
He would rather not take it at all, then to have to put out his own hard earned money to pay for it. So he started to wean, then relapsed, after getting down to 5mg a day. I'm just being honest here....methadone, imho, is more of a band aid.
Sure, it gets them off the intravenous drugs or what have you, but the real work begins when the addict is free of drugs completely. My son went to the methadone clinic two times in 5 years. Both times, I'm sure it saved his life. Yet, when it was time to do the real work, ie: meetings, avoiding people, places, and things that were triggers, working a twelve step program, ect., he didn't want to commit to the work involved. It took going to jail for 6 months to get completely clean of it.
Sending prayers out to you and your husband.
Linda