Notices

New

Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New

Hello, I myself am not an alcoholic myself, but one of my best friends is. And I am trying to help him become sober while realizing addictions of my own. He is at the point in his life where he is starting to become a little violent. And his last straw was when it was taken out on me. I dont know what to do. I know he needs support and I need to be there for him. But he doesnt want to just cut drinking completely. he just wants to cut down...is that really possible? He drinks everyday. And he drinks by himself. And he drinks heavily. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi, I'm afraid your friend must want sobriety, nobody can stop a drunk even with all the love in the world...not unless they want to stop. JMO.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Shift8start

I think its great that you are trying to help your friend out.
For me, moderating drinking is impossible. As an alcoholic I am just unable to control it. I have tried many times and I always returns to excessive drinking. I am learning that this is typical of all alcoholics. Basically, if we were able to moderate we would be normal drinkers right? We wouldnt have a problem. Its the fact that we cant that makes us alcoholics.
The other thing I have come to learn is that a true alcoholic cannot be made to stop drinking. They have to want it themselves. If an alcoholic choses to drink, nothing short of physical restraint will stop them. The best you can do with your friend is to try to raise their awareness of their drinking problems - perhaps by showing them this site, getting them to read some accounts of alcoholics - and then let them come to their own conclusion.
And then get on with YOUR life and look after yourself. You dont deserve to be confronted with violence. If his behaviour becomes unacceptable then walk away. He has the problem so he must resolve it. You just need to be there to provide help and support when he does.

Good luck
Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

head over to the friends and family section...

and be openminded to the replys...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/
Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Get thyself to Al-Anon as quick as you can!!!

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome . Lots of good info and support here. Do check out the link Rusty posted... very helpful for friends and family that want to help.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,

Welcome to SR...

I can relate to the pain you are feeling...You will be ok.

Thinking of you...
Old 09-24-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, shift. my daughter is an alcoholic and alanon really helps me.

remember this about your friend's drinking -

you didn't cause it.
you can't cure it.
you can't control it.

blessings, k
Old 09-24-2007, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The thing is...he wants to cut down. But he never wants to really stop drinking. He got a divorce from his wife because she wanted him to quit, and he wouldnt. He only wants to cut down and eventually become a normal drinker. And that scares me because i dont think its possible for him to do that. He's established some rules for himself:

1) One 12 pack/week
2) Dont drink alone
3) Dont drink when its only him and one other person (i.e. his new girlfriend)

And hes going to try and change his hours at work so it will limit the time for him to drink.

I dont know whats going to happen.

Gosh. Its so hard.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Shift;
Kudos for your concern, but as has already been said, none of us can control another’s drinking no matter how much we love and care about them. I have a son who is a recovering alcoholic; he had to decide he was one and couldn't drink, period! As much as I wanted to help I couldn’t, and I AM a recovering alcoholic!

The "rules" that your boyfriend established for himself look good. If I may let me add a few more that some fellows back in the "good old days" set for themselves.

Chapter3 the book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums we could increase the list ad infinitum.

In other words we alcoholics have been making and breaking rules for decades.

Whatever happens it will rest in your boyfriend's hands, and until he believes that drinking is causing more harm than good you can only take care of yourself.

Best of luck,

Jon
Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post

In other words we alcoholics have been making and breaking rules for decades.

Best of luck,

Jon
Good stuff Jon I would like to add that we will continue to break the rules for another decade even if we put down the drink if we are not willing to change and take a look at why we do what we do? The fourth and fifth steps will help on this one.

Continue to post here there isn't a finer bunch of people.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Beat me to it JFangle !

Tried all those, and then some.

Shift8star, yeah, Al-Anon. There's nothing you can do until he seeks help, and is willing to try anything.