Notices

I'm new......

Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I'm new......

I was wondering if anyone can give me hints on what to do. Do i just read what everyone else is putting into threads or is there a chat room. (I guess you probably get this asked a lot)

Also, i have tried to sober up a number of times with help and without help. It never sticks. I have come along way from living on the streets, to having my own apartment, car, grocery's, and yet i cannot get rid of the urge to drink and smoke meth. (oh yea.. a job to in the nursing industry)

I always go back to meth. I just cannot get over it. I wish i never tried it. I wish i never even got to the point of being able to try it. I know with my job, i cannot do this (i usually call into work with a migraine and it doesn't happen often) because i will lose my job or more.

Right now i am hiding out in my apartment on my days off getting over my last mistake. anyway... i guess i have said to much.

thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you haven't said to much hon!!! This board is PACKED with people just like you. You have found a great site. Please stick with us, talking about things. Hugs!
And welcome!!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As long as you are getting your feelings out there you can never sy too much. You have just tipped the iceberg in my opinion. I hope that you come back and let us hear some more. There are so many people like you here...I'm one of them. Different drug though but a good job etc...etc. My DOC was benzos and alcohol. I did dabble with the oxys for a while. I would love to hear more about you Great. Keep coming back...you will make friends and get help...That's a promise.........Viki
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR.

For a start around here, maybe read the posts that say "sticky" beside them that are located at the top of the different forums.

NA meetings is a great place to gather up the tools and solutions that can help you get past the urges and find a sober way of doing things.
It can be done and YOU can do it. Those who have been there and done that will show up and share what has worked for them as they get here.
Glad to have you aboard. Welcome.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Originally Posted by greatdenial31 View Post
I was wondering if anyone can give me hints on what to do. Do i just read what everyone else is putting into threads or is there a chat room. (I guess you probably get this asked a lot)

Also, i have tried to sober up a number of times with help and without help. It never sticks. I have come along way from living on the streets, to having my own apartment, car, grocery's, and yet i cannot get rid of the urge to drink and smoke meth. (oh yea.. a job to in the nursing industry)

I always go back to meth. I just cannot get over it. I wish i never tried it. I wish i never even got to the point of being able to try it. I know with my job, i cannot do this (i usually call into work with a migraine and it doesn't happen often) because i will lose my job or more.

Right now i am hiding out in my apartment on my days off getting over my last mistake. anyway... i guess i have said to much.

thanks
Hi I'm new as well. Looks like a good community packed with people who know exactly what we're talking about. I'll be coming back here, I hope you do too.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi,
Welsome to SR. Joining here is a great step towards recovery. Glad to have you here
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcometo SR you've found a great place to be.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community. I hope you keep reading and posting. Ask anything that comes to mind, there is a lot of support and encouragement here.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Welcome....start going to as many meeting as you can...Meth is a rough one BUT no excuses you can do this....you really can!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR! Glad that you have found us! Keep posting and read some stickies at the top of the forums-This is a great step-you are here! Blessings to you
Old 09-20-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr...

Hi,

So glad you are jooining us...

Keep posting...
Old 09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, great. and thanks for reaching out! keep posting, k
Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey!! I'm new here, too! Thank goodness I found this site...those hours between meetings can be a killer. Please keep up the good work all you guys out there....you are helping soooo many people!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's great that you found us and expressed your concerns.

Keep reading and posting.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greatdenial31 View Post

thanks
Hi GreatDenial and welcome to SR!

Here's an excerpt from HBO.com website about addictions:

"I have a substance use problem but I don't want to go to a treatment "program."

See a private practice psychiatrist, psychologist or counselor

Many people go to private, office-based therapists for a variety of personal problems. Licensed and appropriately trained therapists may help you not only reduce your substance use but also help resolve additional personal, relationship and emotional problems.

If you feel you may need a medication to help deal with any of these problems it is best to choose a psychiatrist, as they are trained physicians who can prescribe medications.

Look for therapists who have experience and specific training in alcohol and drug issues. You can find this information on the Internet and in the telephone directory. Once you do make contact with a prospective therapist, ask directly about his or her training and experience in substance use treatment and about methods of treatment. If the potential therapist has no plan or experience for addressing and monitoring the substance use problem directly, it would be wise to make a different choice.

See a member of the clergy

Many people value spiritual and religious counsel in their daily lives. Though not all clergy have been trained about counseling in matters involving alcohol and drugs, many have. They can be located through the Internet. Again, there should be a plan to directly address the substance use and agreement to pursue a more intensive option if results are not as expected.

Try AA

Alcoholics Anonymous is the most widely available form of intervention and care for alcohol as well as all other types of addiction. It is anonymous, free, there are meetings at virtually all times of the day and there are many locations. It might be wise to go to an AA meeting even if you think this is not for you. You will meet people who will be glad to give you advice and suggestions from their own experience; and hear from them about treatment options. It may not be for you but it could give you some valuable information and it won't cost a thing.
__________________________________________________ _________________
If self-management efforts have not worked, it may be time to seek specialty care. Within the category of specialty care programs there are many options. Think about the nature and severity of the problems you are experiencing as you decide which option might be best. Consider the following questions as you make your decisions:

Do you need detoxification or stabilization?

If your use of various substances has really gotten out of control, or you have used significant amounts of various substances for extended periods of time; or you have used significant amounts of alcohol, opiates (heroin, methadone, OxyContin, etc.) you may need a period of medical care to help you stop use safely.

If so, you should call a detoxification center and arrange for an appointment. Sometimes this can be done as an outpatient but most cases require a period of hospitalization for 3-5 days. Following stabilization and evaluation you will have other treatment options described below.

If you do not need detoxification, or you have completed detoxification, do you think you have to get away from your living arrangements to get control of your substance use?

If yes, then you may want to consider a period of rehabilitation care (usually 21-30 days) in a residential program. If you are able to demonstrate the medical necessity of this, private insurance can support at least part of the cost (about $15,000-$25,000).

If you think you could get things under control without going away, then you may be able to do well in an outpatient program. Although you may have to fight hard to gain coverage, insurance companies will usually support at least part of the cost - about $100-$200 per week.

Good rehabilitation treatment programs employ qualified and well trained staff, and offer a range of treatment components (medications, therapies and services) that address the problems of their patients. Better treatment programs have more quantity and better quality of the following components:

* Therapies and therapists - Does the program have therapists who have been trained and certified in different types of therapy? Do they offer individual therapy as well as group
* Medications - Does the program have meaningful involvement by physicians and medical staff trained in addiction medicine? Do they offer anti-addiction medications for nicotine, alcohol and opiate dependence? Do they offer medications for treatment of co-occurring mental and physical problems?
* Family involvement - Family involvement should continue beyond the rehabilitation to help prepare the family for the post-treatment period. Does the program have therapists trained in a specific form of family therapy?
* Social services - Ask about assistance in getting help with your social problems related to your addiction, such as housing, employment and transportation. These services may help you develop an improved lifestyle that will support your recovery.
* Urine drug screening - Does the program have randomized drug testing at least once per week? Testing is likely to help improve your motivation and self-management. Finally, your family, employer or other referral source may want evidence of sustained periods of abstinence.
* Continuing care - Does the program provide telephone or in-person visits following completion of treatment? Are there provisions to link individuals with trained therapists near your home following completion of care?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Welcome!! Keep posting..lots of good support here.

Karen