Notices

First stepper here

Old 09-19-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First stepper here

Hi I'm Rob.
I'm 28 years ol, excuse me. 3 days old.
I finally went to a meeting today and I do have a sponsor who is there for me. My fiance left me because of my drinking. She's the third one to do so. All of this happened after I took a dirtbike off of a 30ft cliff where I broke 6 bones on the left side of my face and burned half of my neck off all the way to my shoulder, and tore all the ligaments out of my left shoulder.

I've been drunk for three weeks up until Monday. I was brok. I think that's why I quit. I could've found a way I guess, but I'm sick of oweing people money. I wanted to try something different. Every time A women left me because of my drinking, I just whooped it up until I found my next ex. Doesn't take long for someone to see the real me after a few brewskis.

I did a tenth step today at the meeting. It was right in time. I need to do a personal inventory daily. It's one of those steps that you don't need to have done the rest in order to do.

This is the first time I'm trying this on my own without someone else in my life telling me to. Might be because there's noone left in my life, might be because this time I truly want it. either way. I'm reading alot about this disease and talking to alot of people in recovery now.

I really want this and like the BB says, I'm willing to go to any length to get it. I should be dead by now
Someone has been looking out for me my whole life. It's about time I start to look after myself.

Thanks for reading this
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
simplysober

Hi Rob

Ive been sober 40 days now, and I have been poking around at the whole step thing, Its a really neat way to organise my recovery i think. Im a little scared of the steps where it says to make amends with people- yikes man, thats a hard one, for me anyway.

Congrats on starting on step one- im here too.

on to step 2 i guess- i really need to get that book everyone is talking about lol
also some meeting are probably in order too lol

hugs
maria
Old 10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rob,

Good luck on step one and congratulations on getting a good sponsor.

Thanks so much for your honesty. It's nice to have you here.

I thought reading ""Under The Influence" helped me a lot with Step 1. I know it's not AA literature but I thought I would just mention it cos it helped me understand what was happening to my body.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JRock

I wasn't actually in the recovery process until I had a sponsor who could guide me through it. The sponsor I ended up with talks alot about recovery and as far as I can tell actually tries to live by what is outlined in the text. If I didn't know how to swim with sharks I probably wouldn't just go out on my own and swim with them, I would definitely ask someone who had been before to show me the way they found worked so they didn't die.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would like to read “Under the Influence” a google search comes up with several different books do you have the full name and author? Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by slerner View Post
I would like to read “Under the Influence” a google search comes up with several different books do you have the full name and author? Thanks
Hope this helps

by Milam & Ketcham
"Under The Influence"

There is also a sequel
"Beyond The Influence"

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just started bawling I thought my Rob was back! Rob I miss you so much I wish you could lean baby just a little!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism ?