Notices

Welcome Newcomers

Old 09-19-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome Newcomers

We like to do this from time to time here on Sober Recovery to encourage any newcomers who might be too shy to start their own thread, or simply don't know what to say.

Do you want to stop drinking or using drugs? Not sure?

Please feel free to introduce yourself here and share a few words with us.

We are glad you found us. Recovery IS possible.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Excellent idea Rowan! Welcome to any of you lurkers, make that first step towards recovery, ask a question or just say hi!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Welcome...come on in!...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Fellowship

Hey hows it goin...I recently received my 90 days and life is coming together for me well physically and financially. I'm currently working on the 4th step with my spons. I moved to Florida from NJ two months ago and I'm very pleased with the amount of young people there are here in recovery, from what ive been told Delray Beach is the capital of recovery in the US. However, despite being around so many recovering peops and attending meetings daily, I'm struggling with making a support network and friends that I can share recovery with. Im an extremely fearful and introverted person and I'm open to any tips, suggestions, or shared experiences on how some of you built a network.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Jerzy, congrats on your sober time and recovery efforts!

I was an introvert and isolator myself, so I found it necessary to hang around the rooms of AA and force myself to reach out for support and Fellowship. Now I've got so many friends in AA that I don't have a free minute to think about drinking. It might take awhile to feel comfortable, but the rewards are worth every second of discomfort.

Glad you're here!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Jump on in newcomers, the water's fine!

We've gotta give it away to keep it, so you're a huge help to us by allowing us to share our experience, strength, and hope with you.

(Rowan, you rock for starting these threads!)
Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jerzy, and congratulations on your sober time. I can sympathize with the move and trying to establish a support network, especially while still so new in recovery. I applaud you for attending meetings daily, for getting a sponsor, and for working on your 4th step. I met a new friend recently, she had moved to my town to go to school, and was struggling with building a support network herself. What she did was attend meetings, as you are, and when she shared whe would say that she was new in town and looking forward to meeting other women in recovery. She's well on her way - and we are going to do a step study together this fall.

Keep reaching out - you'll get there. Thanks for posting!

Rowan
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, jerzy! congrats on reaching out and finding recovery. we really appreciate newbies!

oldies, carry on!

blessings, k
Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone and my ramble

Hi all,

I signed on almost a week ago and am learning a lot from everyone. I am 39 years old & have been drinking about 1-2 bottles of wine a night for the past 7 or so years (with maybe a 9 month dry period about 5 years ago). I have tried numerous times to quit, but that has lasted only up to 7 days at a time... I usually reward my accomplishment with a glass of wine (yep) which of course takes me back to square one. One night last week, I was (trying) to shut a window, but slipped and pushed the screen out of the window instead (big window, big screen). Well, I forgot about the screen until I was pulling out of the driveway the next morning (driving my kids to school) and saw the screen, oddly perched on top of a shrub. It was a surreal event for me. I always knew I had a problem, but for some reason, this slapped me in the face. I was lucky enough to find SR that evening (too interested in your posts to drink!). I got sick the next day, but kept reading and didn't drink that night. Well, tonight will be my 6th night that I haven't drank. (YAY!)

I know that I have an addictive personality. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I am currently taking Welbutrin for depression and recently stopped Effexor. (Effexor was good for me for a while, but I personally felt like I drank even more while taking it... don't know if that is true, but that is my take on it).

I struggled with an eating disorder for about 19 years, but thankfully, I am able to overcome that urge for over a year now.

I haven't had any strong urges to drink yet... I know in time I will though. Every night that I don't drink is giving me more hope that I will be able to fight off those urges when they do come.

Yesterday I was feeling very anxious. I haven't been getting to sleep well since I stopped drinking BUT I have been able to stay asleep. Today I feel surprising good, plus I got a good sleep in last night. I used to get plastered at night, fall asleep, but wake up at 4:30 a.m. feeling like a piece of crap. (Guilt plus hungover).

My triggers (I think?) are boredom and anxiety. I usually don't drink until after 5 pm. My kids (they are young) call wine "mama juice". Pretty pathetic.

Anyhow, although I am probably going to continue lurking for a while, just thought I'd say hi and thank everyone for starting me on my journey. Sending positive thoughts to all who are struggling and cyber hugs to everyone.

R.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thanks for posting, reubana, and being so honest. 6 days - congrats! there's a lot of moms here who will be able to relate to you and your situation. so keep reading and posting!

blessings, k
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Reubena,

I identified strongly with your post. I drank a lot of wine, too. And I used to climb/fall out of windows while drinking. I also suffer from depression, and take Celexa for it. I am also 39.

You are very wise to recognize your triggers, and also to realize that the urge to drink will likely return. As alcoholics, it's what we do. We drink.

I'm glad you decided to post, and hope that you do so again when you feel ready. Feel free to PM (private message) me anytime if you would like to talk some more.

Rowan
Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Reubena, and welcome to SR. You're invited to lurk, but the honesty and openness in your first post has been an inspiration to me. I hope you'll continue to share.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Thanks for the love!! It's been quite a journey for me Reubena and I can relate to your triggers of boredom and anxiety but it keeps getting better as I form habits of a simple life instead of the chaos that I lived in for so many years in addiction
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
And I used to climb/fall out of windows while drinking.
Dang Row, I thought I was cool sawing my thumb off during a drunken home improvement project, but you can fly!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Dang Row, I thought I was cool sawing my thumb off during a drunken home improvement project, but you can fly!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rowan can do anything she's my hero....

LOL welcome to all you newbies. We're not all doom and gloom, but we are here to help and support each other in the serious business of recovery.

Hiya !!
D
Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Please, come join us!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello. My husband abuses alcohol and cocaine, and has been doing so for the last 2 years. Cocaine is a much larger problem for him. He acknowledges that it is a destructive, addictive behavior and many times has attempted to abstain, including going to AA/NA and seeing a counselor. Despite his attempts he continues to struggle with addiction. On top of this, he lies to me about when and how much he is using. I am supportive of him, but am tired of being constantly lied to and hate watching my husband ruin his mental and physical health for a sickness that he assures me he is "working on." I have suggested rehab, but every time there is an excuse and I understand that I can not make him do something he does not want to do.

As a result of my husband's abuse we have had to borrow money from his parents to pay the bills. His family is aware of the alcohol addiction, but not of the cocaine. My husband is very afraid of disappointing his family, and in my opinion, being held responsible for his actions. His father has told me many times that my husband's drinking is just a "bad habit" that he needs to outgrow. I fear that they do not understand the magnitude of his addiction. If they did, I know they would do everything they could to support him in recovery. I have been told that if I tell his parents I am only enabling him in his addiction.

I am fearful of what may happen to my husband if I leave. I love him very much and it is so painful watching him do this to himself. I also feel betrayed and that by lying to me, my husband is telling me that he does not want or need my support.

I guess this is a cry for help.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello holdingouthope, thank you for sharing your story and I hope you'll feel welcomed here.

I'm going to suggest posting your story in the Friends And Family forums. You'll get much more help and experience there than you could ever imagine.

I look forward to hearing more from you, and I'm glad you're reaching out for help.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi holdingouthope,

Welcome. One of the forums that Astro mentioned can be found here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/

You will find many who can identify with what you are going through with your husband.