Medical questions

Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical questions

Hi guys. Most of you know my AH's DOC is pain pills, it used to be lortabs, lately percocet, but I think anything he can get his hands on. For the past year or so I have noticed that he changes underwear in the middle of the night almost every night. He was telling me that he was getting up to go to the bathroom and just got a little pee on his underwear and thats why he was changing them so often. Well, I have been watching more closely lately and he is actually peeing on himself in the night. I cant figure if its because he is just lazy and not getting to the bathroom on time or what. Of course I dont know any other grown men that pee on themselves all the time either, so.... He wont drink water. All he ever drinks is mountain dew and sweet tea. So I keep thinking that is waht is doing it. This morning he says his kidney area is hurting and he feels like he is going to die. I keep thinking that his liver is going to quit because of all the dope he has taken over the years. What do ya'll think? Just wondering. This morning I had a flat tire on my car. Well, I called my sister in law who is the secretary where I work and told her I had as flat and she said she was sick so I could drive her car to work. Well then I get here and both bosses are out of the office today and no secretary, but then AH calls me whining about huurting and needing to go to the doctor, but I am in someone elses car and I am pretty much left in charge at work, ,and he knows it, but he doesnt care. He is about to run out of pain pills with several days before a refill and he knows it and thats the only reason he wants to go to the doctor. I would not be surprised if the whole thing was not an act. And if he really is in pain, you know what, as wrong as this is, I really dont care. He has done this to himself.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I'm no doctor, but I knew someone who took oxy's like no one's business and she developed kidney and liver problems and had several bladder infections. All that caffine he's drinking isn't helping matters any. He might have an infection causing him to urinate himself.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Kris. I just think its disgusting that a grown man is peeing himself every night. I just have no sympathy for him. He has caused all of his own hurts.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anvil, I know its his problem and his responsibility to deal with. I guess I am being a coward and hoping that he bails out physically so I dont have to uproot my life and my sons life. Thats my fairytale. I know its stupid and I know I need to get out. I want out, just not ready to jump yet. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tell him if he is in so much pain to dial 911. They will come to the house and pick him up and take him to the hospital. He has options. He is an adult.

((hug))
Broken
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it can be very frustrating and disgusting...my xbf had major stomach problems from abusing pills but he had to change his underwear b/c of blood - i know that seems more identifiable then urine but it is best for him to get it checked out. He should have to go through the tests however for his kidney & liver, pills really cause some major damage there. Be honest with the doctor, up front make sure he knows he has a problem with pills, and be sure to watch the prescriptions he writes. But frankly it' sup to your AH to tell the Doc...not for you to worry about
Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well Broken, he is at work. He texted me a few minutes ago and siad dont worry about it, I think it may just be a stomach virus. I said whatever, all the while thinking I was not worried about it to begin with.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im workin on it, Im workin Anvil. Boy I dont know how you could ever go back to using with your persistence. LOL I know you only want whats best for me. I want the same things.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know Anvil and I very much look forward to that day!Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

My AH DOC is any kind of RX drug that is an pain killer or muscle relaxer, etc. He would pass out and then be in such a deep sleep that he would not know that he urinated on himself.

Wendy - everytime I read your post - it almost sounds like you were living in my household about 5 - 7 yrs ago - when things were at their worst. I remember the days of sleeping with my purse wrapped around my arm so that I would wake up when he tried to steal things (money, cash, keys, etc.) out of it - sounds like a fun life huh?

You keep taking care of you & even if you stay in the home with him - you do have the right to sleep in a clean bed - maybe you can set some boundaries to sleep in another room or have him sleep on the sofa?

You deserve a good nite's rest.

Rita
Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rita, thanks. Actually he is not soaking the bed. He is only getting it on his underwear. Thank goodness. And yes, I sleep with my purse in my pillow case everynight. Anytime we have any sort of guest at the house they think I am crazy cause I carry my purse around my own home with me. I cant go to the bathroom without taking my purse. How crazy is that? I keep waiting for our 3 year old son to ask me why I sleep with my purse under my pillow. I am not sure what I will say. I am so tired. Oh, yeah right, if anyone would be sleeping on the couch it would be me. Heaven forbid him sleeping on the couch!lol Yes I need and deserve a good nights rest. Here lately I dont sleep even when I am asleep cause subconciously I am waiting for AH to try and get in my purse. I also hold his meds. We go to a new doctor at a pain clinic this Friday. I always thought that a pain pump would be the most horrible thing in the world, but every day I hold those pills and dole them out, that pump looks better and better. As stupid and crazy as that sounds. That would take pressure off of me. Thanks again Rita.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Wendy,

When you are ready, you may learn to say the words I had to learn to say . . .

I am not a Pharmacist, I will not hold your RX's, I will not control your RX's and I will not distribute your RX's

Even tho my AH is where he is today - I'm not relapsing with him. My purse usually stays locked in my vehicle. No one else has keys. I purchased a locking safe (I have the only key) for any RX drugs that I may, The pharmacy I use knows not to allow ANYONE to pick-up a prescription in my name without checking my ID 1st.

Took me a while to start doing these things, I know I am powerless over the A's in my life, powerless over addiction/alcoholism but I am not powerless over ME. So, I am little by little changing the things I can.

Sending our prayers for you to find the strength & courage to do what you need to do to change to little things in your life that would help you feel safe and secure in your own home.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, Anvil you took the words right out of my mouth.lol I know that is what I need to say to him, I am just a scaredy cat. I hate addiction and everything that goes with it.

Rita, thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I havent read all the other replies but my dad has taken Oxy since before anyone knew what it was. Today atleast 10 years or more of regular use he has kidney problems. It takes him sometimes 40 minutes to urinate, and other times he has no way of stopping. Its caused by nerve damage some related to back injury others related to damage to his body.
Prolonged use is awful, he has gastrointestinal problems that have caused all his teeth to rot (drs say from meds) He rocks back and forth like a alcohol fetal syndrome child. (From ammonia going to his brain that Kidneys no longer filter) This once brilliant man no longer has a life, the drs and pharmacists have listed him as terminal, not from his spinal cord injuries, but from the meds.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry if this is TMI.....I never thought about the pills causing AH's pee problems until I read this thread!! He, too, has peed his pants in the night both on the couch and in bed, and he frequently has to stand in front of the toilet for a bit before he can actually go. Sometimes he says he feels like he needs to go but it just won't happen. If it were an infection I thought he would have other symptoms like burning. I thought it was because he was too out of it to get to the bathroom. Hmmmmm maybe I should get him to ask the dr.....

Thanks for the posts!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Interesting that you would mention peeing. There was another thread about peeing a while back on the f&f of alcoholics.
It brought back a lot of memories of my mom and my childrens father peeing themselves.
I took note of lovestoomuch's reply. You know, my xh took oxys and within a year had hep c. I know they're not related, but I wonder if it can raise issues in that area.