Notices

Please welcome mizchacha

Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sorry to just cut in but i just recently found this website and think its wonderful... but can one of yall please tell me what PTSD is???
Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. It stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I could link some googly articles or wikipedia stuff if you like, but I'm sure people here know more.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Well

[QUOTE=GailJ;1477233]Yes PTSD is trauma terror, guilt, fear, self blaming, that feeling of always being unwanted or a failure, being desperatly needy to the point of driving anyone who dares care about you away, and that comes from seeing or experiencing extream violence, being a victim of sexual abuse at a young age, or long continuing abuse.
It gets so buried, so deeply imbeded, that it doesn't become aparent untill flashbacks or triggers wake it from your subconscious.

....The above quote is from GailJ from a different thread she posted. This is what helped me to realize that I suffer from PTSD and seek help.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome mizchacha,

There was once a separate board for PTSD. I donīt know why it was changed, maybe because there is so much anxiety involved.

If you feel like addressing these issues, feel free. Gail has been writing about her experience here in a different thread.

Love and light,
Old 09-19-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome, Mzchacha.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thats where i first saw the term was on gails thing and i could not figure out what it meant.. thank you guys!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello I'm Gail and I think it's wonderfull how many people have come forward with this disorder here. I thank blue for the quote as well. It took me ten years to fully the discover that I had ptsd. Doctors often cannot tell and will tell you it is just depression or general anxiety disorder. It is sad so much negative stress and trauma we try to assimillate into our daily lives. Much of it we do hide, because of the graphic or horrific nature from which it stems. There is information on the web and it is very hard to live with once you realize that you have it. Psycological evalution is essential because i know a lot of people with bipolar who think they have ptsd when they do not. It is one hundred percent different. In therapy and in recovery.
I have read that that younger you are when he initial abuse happened the stronger or more deeply imbeded the anx and stress.
Also that repeated negative or severe stress actually shinks the hippocampus of the brain causing a lot of the symptoms and making mediction essential and permanent in recovery. There is more on the web. And some really excellent medical sites which cover a lot of the medical aspects of the disorder. It is very complex and often involves manic or prolonged depression, high anxiety, panick attacks, low tolerance to stress of any kind, physical symptoms such as memory malfuction including flashbacks awake and asleep, dizziness, confusion, stomach ulcers, or persistant stomach cramping, can include anorexia, definately insomnia in all forms, irritable bowel, both diarrea and constipation, tremors(oh I hate the tremors) anemia,
blurred vision, excessive fatigue, muscle wasting and muscle tightness(pain especially in neck and shoulders) and heart palpitations and persistant headaches.
I am not a doctor but I have done a lot of reserch just in finding out how to recover myself. I hope this helps
Old 09-19-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will try to recover ad post some of the med links, A lot I deleted or lost but I am sure I can find them again.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Gail.

Good information. I think it is important to find out if you have this condition and then address it the best way possible.

I was a prisoner of old abuse and rape issues for a long time, but I assure you itīs possible to lead a good and full life once you get the proper help.

There is hope, so keep posting.

Love and light,
Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you know i would just love to go to a doctor but when its something internal like that i know how easy it is for them just to say its depression and i really dont want that and im too too toooo embarrased to speak with them and tell them what's up, you know?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my country, someone at a crisis hotline for women would be able to refer you to a good doctor who understands these issues. Iīm sure itīs similar in the States.

Love and light,
Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had a similar problem, m. i didn't want to talk to my doctor. how do you discuss something like that? how do you describe it properly? i went in once and couldn't even speak, really, i was so confused and detached from things. i got flustered and i think began crying. i was then diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, which is probably a correct diagnosis. maybe. anyway. i didn't want to go through the same stuff again, crying in the office, having to go to the hospital just to not convey myself correctly yet again. and so i began emailing my doc. this is a great way for me to communicate with my doc! i love it. for me, the written word is much more effective. this service is part of the people who work under my insurance company, i guess, but i think it might be pretty standard. after emailing them, then it is easier to go in, not having something huge looming over you...it's already out in the air.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thats a really good idea actually i never thought of it.
and on top of everything i dont have any health insurance...i just got taken off my mothers because im out of school. and i know how pricey it can be.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reserch research, reserch, I'm not much of a gamer. I think thats avoidance.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No real med or theapy places to go to here in th middle of farm hic country. Especialyy when there' abut fifteen last names and you are not form there to begin with sorry rambling time for a new Gail thread.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mizchacha View Post
thats a really good idea actually i never thought of it.
and on top of everything i dont have any health insurance...i just got taken off my mothers because im out of school. and i know how pricey it can be.
Is it ok if I ask how old you are?

If you are still a young adult, then there should be good, free resources for people your age if you are in a moderately sized city.

If you are not, I would still check out the facilities in your area. There are free and pro rated clinics all over.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No problem I am 41, 42 in Dec. I have three boys 22, 21, and 16(17 in Oct)
Old 09-21-2007, 11:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

sorry just realized you were ask miz not me.......duhhhhh
Old 09-21-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No problem. Glad to get to know you better!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

yea i just turned 20 and i live in nashville...