Notices

Can't stop Won't stop

Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't stop Won't stop

Hello.

I've just done a home liver test and it's come back mild liver disease. Not sure what it means or if it could get worse but it's not unexpected as I've been drinking several times the safe limit since 16, which is is ten years now. Plus since spring 2005 my foot's gone bright red and been hurting every time I have a drink, everyday - as far as I can self-diagnose off the internet that's either alcoholic neuropathy or the start of cirrhossis?

Have occasionally been trying to quit and for the last 8 months have prepared prepared to quit constantly... only drink after 10pm and binge the same amount into the early hours - four bottles and eight cans of beer. Have been eating right all the time plus plenty of vitamins and minerals supplements, although it's been a bit out-of-hand as I take 18 different tablets a day. Still, one habit that can't be bad for you. and it includes milk thistle and Vitamin b6, which is supposed to help alcoholics?

Did one week last November, a week in May and two weeks in July but can't be bothered now. I can't really see the AA way working as I've got agrophobia and never leave the house plus I went to a Catholic school as a non-believer and never really felt like it was for me. That and my circumstances are that it's not something born with but an escape from events in childhood.

I read Allen Carr's Easy way to Stop Drinking and that seemed to help the few times given up for a week or two, as another of his books did when quitting smoking but can't get past the agrophobia so the quality of life isn't a lot better and it's only a matter of time before boredom and depression leads to starting again.

Anyhoo, have prattled on long enough. Hope everyone's having as best a day as possible. Sorry about all the I and Mys, have deleted a few so as not to sound like a total self-absorbed fool, though don't think I've managed to disguise it that well.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Agoraphobia can be treated by a mental health professional. You have many options which discipline of psych you would prefer to use, but I highly recommend CBT to help you with agoraphobia. A CBT therapist would probably use guided imagery, in vivo exposure, and other highly successful techniques used for agoraphobia.

As far as your 'mild liver disease', what would it take before you HAD to quit? A 'severe liver disease'? I'm glad that you were smart enough to research your leg condition. Alcoholism is by far the worse on the body. Don't let it progress to a point of no return.

People make bad choices all the time. They're not mistakes if you learn from them. Now's your chance to grow from your experience. You've drunk enough for several lifetimes. Try and give it up and embark on your life.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Welcome...You can do this..There are ways to get out of the dark..I've known people here who managed to turn their lives into a bright, beautiful life...It is possible and they are proof of that..

I am so glad you joined us..keep posting..there's a lot of support and info here..
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,

I would get to a doctor, never mind these home tests, and get a proper diagnosis. I understand you have agoraphobia, but this is your life. How do you get your books, your booze, your vitamins? Are they delivered, or do you go out for them?

Please do not dismiss a recovery program such as AA based on what you know, or don't know, about the program. Many non-believers attend, and even though I was brought up RC, I was one of them. There are also many online meetings available to you, if you insist on not attending f2f ones.

A lot of my own psychological problems have been minimized or have disappeared because of getting sober, and working with other alcoholics in recovery.

Taking all those vitamins is a great idea, but drinking likely cancels out any benefits you would get from them. It's like me taking loads of vitamin C when I was smoking, figuring all the poison wouldn't harm me as much that way.

I'm really glad that you decided to post and hope that you will think seriously about abstaining from alcohol. Your life may depend on it.

Rowan
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

There are other ways to stop drinking than AA. And, as Afraid2succeed said, you can get treatment for agorophobia and it may help you. I'm glad you are reaching out and seeking help and this is a great, supportive community. My experience with vitamin supplements is that alcohol pretty much ruins their ability to work very well, especially the B vitamins. I was desperately deficient in B vitamins when I stopped drinking, even though I'd been taking them daily. Oh, and there is no Easy Way to Stop Drinking.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hello, nice to meet you. i hope you'll see a doctor and keep posting. recovery is possible. and you deserve it. blessings, k
Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you. I agree - home testing and self diagnosis is pretty ineffectual. At least see a Doctor....and look at the range of programmes out there. AA's not the only one....

Keep posting
D
Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hmmmmmn...I think the title of this thread "Can't stop Won't stop" is denial at its utmost.

Going back over your post, I've counted at least a half-dozen reasons why you should quit...and, the very fact that you'er posting in a Sober Recovery site tells me you want to quit.

I knew someone who had many years of sobriety in AA, and she was agoraphobic before she was able to quit with the help of a therapist. She went on to be very active in AA, earned a college degree, and moved to Florida. It wasn't all accomplished within the four walls of her room. You need professional help...both medical and psychological...please get it!