Notices

New life

Old 09-16-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New life

Hello everyone,
very pleased to have found this site.Not very good with forums so will probably make a few errors.I need to stop drinking(about 24 hours so far),eat healthier and turn everything around.I work fairly long hours and am struggling financially which i think i use as an excuse,also sometimes i think i deserve it and other times it's because i'm down or just in the mood.I used to drink spirits but because i drink too fast,have been very ill on a few occasions and so now at least i only drink beer.Probably like many,i would like to only have a couple but that is impossible.I have to get up early for work and usually do that after only two or three hours sleep and then struggle all day.By the time the kids are sorted out with dinner and homework i start off again.The kids never see me drunk,which i am pleased about and don't think my wife knows how much i drink either.I only really drink at home as the pub is too expensive,but i find that i'm exhausted most of the time,overweight and unhealthy.
I'm hoping that if i can speak to others in similar situations then that might help me and vice versa.Really i think that i shouldn't drink at all to help make the changes necessary happen and would welcome any thoughts,thanks.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Sober Recovery. My name is Rowan, and I'm a recovering alcoholic and pill addict. I couldn't get sober on my own, and have been given a new life through AA. I'm a single parent who works long hours and who struggles financially so sometimes I take my daughter to meetings with me or I'll have someone watch her.
I have two daughters but I don't see one of them anymore - she lives with her Dad - when my girls were younger, and I was still drinking, I was pleased with myself too, because they never saw me drink. I saved that for when they were in bed. But they were subject to my cranky moods when I was hungover, my depression and shame after a binge, and my neglect when all I could do was obsess about the next drink.
This is a wonderful site full of people who are recovering, and who will be able to understand your struggles.
I hope that you keep posting, and be open-minded enough to see alcoholism for what it is - a disease that tells you that you don't have one. My best to you.

Rowan
Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dave,

You sound like you're ready to make some big changes in your life. I found when I stopped drinking, it came naturally to begin to eat well and to get back to walking and hiking and other exercise. I think it's about feeling good about yourself and how you live your life.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

My biggest regret was that my three kids grew up in an environment with two active alcoholic parents. My youngest was 16 when I finally quit with the help of AA. You can spare your children that kind of childhood.

I'm most grateful for the fact that none of my grandkids have ever seen me under the influence! I used to take the three oldest with me to AA meetings...and, they are now 27, 26, and 24. You, too, can look forward to being a sober grandparent.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi dave47......w Welcome to SR!

That new life is possible
and you too can find health and joy!

Blessings
Old 09-16-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi dave...glad you are here...

Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Dave?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, dave. glad you found us. keep posting! k
Old 09-17-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their support and kind words.Been good for a couple of days and feel positive,so fingers crossed.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's good to see you, Dave. I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dave - at the risk of sounding like a corn ball....I aqm proud of you. That post was very open and honest and humble and as far as I am concerned...you are off to a stellar start. Welcome to SR and welcome to recovery, my friend.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Keep going and let us know, DAve...also try and read as much as you can, i found that really helpful to start with.
Good luck!You arein the right place!
cathy31
x
Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Read quite a few of the posts,and i see that some people have been and are going through some terrible times.I feel lucky in that respect and have tried to be more positive these last few days.I think i used to always be a positive person and have lost that somewhere along the way.Although only a few days into this new regime,i do feel more energetic and determined,and i think reading the messages definitely plays it's part.Thanks for all the messages of support.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

dave keep at it mate, I am Martin, an alcoholic, I could not stay stopped drinking on my own, for me it took detox to get me sober and AA to keep me sober. I have found that in order to stay sober I had to change myself as a person, I learned how to do that in AA. I tried for many years to quit on my own and failed time and time again. I failed because I did not change, when I changed I succeeded!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

New commer listening from the wings!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

I am heading toward my 6-week sober mark, and have found such support and inspiration in reading the posts on this board. I can see myself in so many people from all over the world, and it is comforting to know that as diverse as we are, we all share a desire to be better people and lead better lives.

In only six short weeks, I can feel such a difference in myself. I am beginning to think of myself as a responsible person who cares about her body, mind and spirit. I have never felt that way before. I no longer want to pour poison down my throat in quantities that would kill a normal person. I no longer want to wake up looking like death and stumble my way through the work day in some sort of stupor. I no longer want to spend weekends walking around like something out of a B-zombie movie. I want to feel what it is like to live life the best way I know how and to feel good about being the person I am.

When I am sober, I can have that life. I am determined to do whatever it takes because I now want a good life more than I want wine.

Have a wonderful day.

Peace to you,
Cekiya