Notices

Benzo use, withdrawl and terror

Old 09-16-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Benzo use, withdrawl and terror

Hi, I have been off of benzos for 8 months. (well, 8 months tomorrow woooo hoooo!!!) I went though a 6 week detox that nearly killed me. I had many seizures and ended up in ICU on life support.......twice.

Since detox, I have had this feeling of terror. I startle very easily. The feeling of terror comes quickly and comes when I am asleep. I wake up startled and feel so scared.

It is MUCH better than it use to be. But last night was just awful. I woke up like that about 5 or 6 times.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I have read where the drug that you are on can end up causing the problems that you took it for.

I hope this makes sense. I have not had much sleep.
Thank you all for being here.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I was put on benzos for a sleep disorder and took them for several years. I had no idea what I was taking. Eventually, they led me back to booze.

When I eventually had to detox off them, oh man, it was rough. I thought I might never sleep again. I was on edge too.

I will let you know that I am fine now, it did take some time but all the nasty symptoms did go away.

I now have a very healthy fear of benzos.

It will get better,

Ted
Old 09-16-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
outtahere

I think you are still detoxing. I read it takes at least a year or longer for extended use.

The good news is you are detoxing! IMO
Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Lee and Ted. Just knowing I am not alone or crazy helps.

Ted.........how long have you been off the benzos?? How long did it take to get through the detox?

I am grateful that it is detox. I never wanna go back and have to quit again.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tanya,

I've been off benzo for four years in October. I took them while I was drinking, and again while in recovery. Benzos led to an alcohol relapse at one time.
I don't remember how long it took me to detox off them, but I do remember not being able to sleep for many, many nights. Every time I lay down and closed my eyes, I had an image of a wooden mallet with fire on the end of it that would fly towards me and startle me 'awake' - it was terrifying. I began to grind my teeth and my gums would bleed. I was in a fog for weeks, and couldn't walk straight - my balance was way off. The thought of taking benzos again terrifies me. They nearly cost me my life.
Well done on your clean time - I know how hard it is to get off them.

Rowan
Old 09-16-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

It probably took several months to get back to 'normal', I really don't remember and it will be different for everyone. It's been about 2 years now.

I wish you well.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont mean to sound lame, but what are benzo's? Alcohol is my poison, so I dont know.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

benzodiazepines - anti-anxiety pills, clonazepam, atavan, lorazepam, xanax etc
Old 09-16-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

tanya
I am very proud of you for taking the bull by the horns. Bull is a nice word for benzos. i could come up with so many more words that would make your toes curl. That's how much I love to hate them. They destroyed my life. I lost the respect of others and my son overdosed on oxys and xanaz last may. he was 19. i can't help but think that i am responsible. He would have never tried them if he hadn't of heard about them by me.
I still can't sleep amd i have been off of them for about 4 months. Like someone here said, it takes a year to get back to sleeping normally. Sometimes it may take more than a year. People are different. I have panic attacks so bad that I won't step a foot out of the safety of my house. No groveries or anything. I'll do without. Life has stopped and hell has begun. I do however know that God won't give me anything that i can't handle so this too shall pass. Sometimes the na meetings are held here in my house because i can't bring myself to go out.
do you go to meetings or working a program? Yep that is what has helped me more than anything. If you are stay with it...it can only get better from here...Viki
Old 09-16-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too, took benzos for about six months, and a very low dose. I went through hell and can relate with startling easily, and panic attacks. It has been about five months of sobriety from booze and benzos. The anxiety is slowly getting better.

Lisa
Old 09-16-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your comments. It helps so much not to feel like I am the Lone Ranger. (You can put terminally unique in there too )

Rowan.....I can SO relate to the mallet and being startled awake. As I was reading about you grinding my teeth I realized I was grinding mine! I know that I have grinded them for a long time. And I can totally relate about balance being off. Mine is much better now, but in the beginning I could fall over while standing flat footed. Glad that is over. Thank you for your experience, strength and hope. Oh, I have heard of quite a few people taking benzo's and then relapsing on alcohol. I read where it goes to the same pleasure center in the brain.

Viki...thank you so much for your reply. And thank you for telling me that you are proud of me. That means so much. I am so very sorry about your son. I hope you can learn to forgive yourself. I am sure he would not want you blaming yourself. That is so cool that they hold some NA meetings in your home. Yes, I go to AA every day and work a program. I love the 12 steps and use them in all aspects of my life. I even have a sponsee now (which is scarey) TY again and please keep in touch.

Lisa....Congrats on your sobriety. I have not run in to many people who successfully stay off of pills. I am glad your anxiety is getting better. Mine is too. Just had a tough night. TY again for your reply.

Thanks so much to all of you. Have a good one.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Two that Rowan didn't mention are valium and librium. valium is way over-prescribed as far as I am concerned and librium is what they use to wean you off booze.

The really dangerous thing with benzos is that for an alcoholic, it's really booze in pill form as far as your brain is concerened. That's why so many relapse back to booze after being on benzos.

The withdrawel tho, is hell, as so many have attested. And the combination of these drugs taken with booze kills.

Yeah, I really detest those things.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi tanya, as you already know I got off of benzo's and alcohol thru detox, and about 3-4 weeks after I got out of detox I started having some of the same symptoms you described and I told my doctor and he put me on seroquel which took care of those problems and I am not experiencing them anymore, so you might ask your doctor about it, the only thing I am experiencing now is lack of energy and memory problems.