Notices

Help on attending first AA meeting (UK)

Old 09-13-2007, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Help on attending first AA meeting (UK)

There are six AA meetings in my town, and I was wondering what the difference is.

Two are 'Discussion' meetings.
One is 'Big Book Discussion'
One is 'Speaker'
One is 'Step'
and one is 'Living Sober'

Which would be the best one to try for my first meeting? Where can I get a number from to comfirm the time and place of the meeting?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi, odaat -

welcome!

open discussion - means open to alcoholics and addicts alike ... usually discussion is limited to problems with alcohol... but there's a topic ... then people discuss it.

BB Discussion Is just that. Usually, how it goes more or less is ... there'll be a section of the Big Book - it's read aloud, then an open discussion as related to what's been read.

Speakeris someone speaking. you just listen. maybe questions , I've heard of that, but mostly it's someone sharing their experience strength and hope.

Step meeting is focused on one of the steps. Around here, since it's the ninth month - the step meeting will be oriented around the ninth step. Sometimes, the book 12 steps, 12 traditions is read from ... but in these parts - those are mostly known as 12X12 meetings.

Living Sober beats me. I know there's a book titled that - maybe it's a discussion around the challenges and how that book applies? We don't have those around here.

hope that helps and congratulations on looking into it!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Isn't there a # to call ? I mean, with the meeting time and listings? LIke a local Alano club, too?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I've found a number for my area, was really hoping there would be an email address. Its just a number for the whole county.

How often do meeting details change? I've got a pretty bad anxiety on the phone. If I just turn up its likely someone will be there isn't it?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh, it'll be easy, hon. just call and ask about the meeting time, whatever. But for the most part - eventho I don't know your area - yeah - if you just turn up - there'll probably be someone there.
the whole county thing - if it's like it is here - it's because it's a district phone #. They'll have all the info at that phone #.

You'll be fine.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I've been building up to this for a long time. Unfortunately my husband doesn't want to come with me, so I'll have to go alone. First time out the house alone in a long time! Annoying anxiety! I'll try and persuade him to phone for me.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Odaat, I think you are best ringing that local number as they will know the current meeting list.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I've managed to find where the meeting is tonight, and I'm going to pop along and hope its right.

Its a Big Book Discussion meeting.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice? Anything I need to know? If I just go in and stand in the corner do you think someone will talk to me?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

****{ODAAT}}}

yes, someone will talk to you! They'll probably have another copy of the book you can read from ... maybe even go in a little early and introduce yourself to the first person you see.

i remember what I was like at the very first meeting
=- I may as well have just told you to dig out your own appendiox with a spoon ...

LOL

it's going to be fine. you'll see.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Usually at a big book discussion a chapter is read from the 'big book' (Alcoholics Anonymous is the actual title).

Whoever is chairing the meeting will read some opening stuff and then will read a paragraph or two of the reading. Then the next person will read a paragraph or two, and so-on around the room. Some groups simply read where the last person left off and in some groups each person will introduce themselves and then read. Introductions are usually in the form'"Hi I'm ______ and I'm an alcoholic". You don't have to say this, you can simply give your name, and if you don't wish to give your name you can simply say "I'll pass".

There are really no hard and fast rules in AA, so just go with the flow.

After the reading the passage that was read is then discussed. Most will stick to the subject but it is not absolutly required. Often someone will talk about something that is bothering them, or that they may be having a tough time with.

Some groups raise hands, and some go around the room, taking turns speaking. Again, you don't have to say anything if you don't want to.

I would encourage you to introduce yourself. A simple, "Hi, my name is _____ and I am new" will absoutly insure that someone will talk to you after the meeting one on one and you will probably get several phone numbers to call if you want to talk to someone.

Anyhow, I wish you the best,

Ted
Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

ODAAT
how did you get on?? Just saw your post now hope you got on ok pm me any time I know the UK meetingss well!
Cathy31
x
Old 09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

HI everyone.

Just back from my first meeting and it went well. Its a very small and informal meeting, and I think thats what I'm looking for. Am going to try out a few others to see which 'fits'. I've got a copy of the Big Book now, got to get my reading hat on.

I was really nervous and stared at the floor for most of it, but a few people spoke to me afterwards which helped.

Thanks for the posts earlier, it helped to know what to expect.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Wonderful! Glad to hear that all went well.