What are the meeting groups called for non-addicts?

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are the meeting groups called for non-addicts?

I know there is AA and NA for the alcholic and drug addicted, but it's slipping my mind what the one is called for the family/friends.

How do I find the meetings?

And...are these meetings filled with both non-users and users alike?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PunishedByGod View Post
I know there is AA and NA for the alcholic and drug addicted, but it's slipping my mind what the one is called for the family/friends.

How do I find the meetings?

And...are these meetings filled with both non-users and users alike?

Thanks
correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Allanon, Allateen, etc. is what you're looking for.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Al Anon and Nar Anon are the meetings for family members and friends.
Al Anon (www.alanon.org)

For over 50 years, Al-Anon (which includes Alateen for younger members) has been offering hope and help to families and friends of alcoholics. It is estimated that each alcoholic affects the lives of at least four other people... alcoholism is truly a family disease. No matter what relationship you have with an alcoholic, whether they are still drinking or not, all who have been affected by someone else’s drinking can find solutions that lead to serenity in the Al-Anon/Alateen fellowship. (taken from the Al Anon website)

Meetings:
You can often locate a meeting in your area by looking in the white pages of your phone book, or sometimes in the blue government pages. (You can also do a search from the Al Anon website: www.alanon.org)

You can also learn a lot by reading the stickies at the top of each forum. You've come to the right place!

Hugs
Cats
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the information.

the naranon meetings that i was able to look up, some say "closed meeting". does that mean they aren't taking any other members?

thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

closed meetings are designed just for family and friends of alcoholics/addicts. open meetings are for anyone in the community. you can go to any meeting. try 5 or 6 different groups if you have a chance to. you'll most likely find a group that you relate best with.

nice to meet you, k
Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks so much for the prompt response.

i have a neighbor who offered to "take my hand" so to speak, as she attends meetings. i don't know in what capacity or why, nor is it my biz to ask her. i think i will take her up on the ones she goes to, hit a few others and yes, find what best suits my needs.

thanks again.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you are checking in to meetings. They do help. Hugs to your neighbor who offered a hand. Keeping you in my prayers.
Terri
Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by PunishedByGod View Post
thanks so much for the prompt response.

i have a neighbor who offered to "take my hand" so to speak, as she attends meetings. i don't know in what capacity or why, nor is it my biz to ask her. i think i will take her up on the ones she goes to, hit a few others and yes, find what best suits my needs.

thanks again.
No coincidences...Sounds like your neighbor is helping you to get right where you need to be. Meeting makers make it
Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in the light

I appaud you for being ready and willing to seek recovery. The key to meetings is to
start by attending about six in order to grasp how recovery works. Try different ones
until you find one that feels right for you. You are making a courageous choice for a more peaceful heart and healing,
Hugs
Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome,
Your neighbor knows what you are going through, so please go with them. Having someone to go with makes it easier to attend the first meeting. You will find support there and a lifeline for help when you really need it. Take a phone list and call someone on it when you need to speak to someone or just need to hear encouragement.
Attend as many as you need to, to find the right one for you. They help as does this site.
Sorry you had to join us but glad you found us.
Hugs coming to you