Addiction and intimacy...

Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction and intimacy...

If there are any men posting on here, I'd like there comments on this as well.

Why is it an addicts sex drive is decreased? Why don't you feel desired intimately anymore? This may sound like a stupid question, but it's been on the back of my mind for a while now.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would love to see this answered. My fiance has had drug problems his entire life. He is now taking 1-80mg oxy a day. Alot less than he used to. But we still have the intimacy issue. Sorry I couldn't be of help. But I had to reply and let you know someone else is in this same situation.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wanted to know about that one too...i've done so much research the past couple weeks about addiction and the side effects. I never found the why though. My research was mainly heroin and the most i could find was "...loss of appetite creating lowered immune response and nutritional deficiences and causes loss of desire". Every site i came across said the same thing. Guess its just the way a drug effects the brain and body and all that. Sorry I couldn't come up with anything more scientific! It's been buggin me too!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about all drugs but from doing research and speaking with my rabf, opiates (heroin, painkillers, etc) radically decrease your libido and make it difficult to perform even if you wanted to. They are depressants and that makes it difficult for your body to really process sensations normally so even if you're doing something that would normally physically arouse you, it just doesn't work. Kind of like how some guys have trouble after drinking a lot. Also, sex can kill your high. Strangely this was one of the side effects that always bothered me the most with my abf b/c it made me feel even more disconnected. However, also serves as a good indicator of when they're using...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, it didn't really matter to me that he had no sex drive......i didn't want HIM to touch ME anyway while he was using.......i couldn't stand to look into those half lidded eyes and know that he probably wouldn't even remember it since he was so doped up on xanax anyway.....yuck...no siree, not for me.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

My exabf is a crack addict. Due to the drug he also lost his desire and when he actually would be in the mood he couldn't.........perform if you know what I mean. I think most of the addict's day consists of finding the drug, doing the drug and then the crash after the drug.......get back up and start all over. It consumes their lives on almost every level.

I remember accusing him of cheating on me acutallyl because of the loss intimacy. He wasn't cheating.....just couldn't do it.

You may want to post your question on the substance abuse forum. They're a really nice bunch of folks over there who are always willing to answer any questions we may have about drugs, addiction and even some of our "why" questions.