Just some questions about recovery.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just some questions about recovery.

First off, I just wanted to say thanks for the helpful information I've received so far and while I wish none of us had to be here, I have to say it is helpful to know I'm not alone.

Just a recap. My SO is 6 months without oxy now. He has managed to go weeks without anything. The periods where he has no medication, he is the same man I fell in love with. In those times, he is remorseful and motivated to improve our situation. After some events with benzos and showing signs of being addicted to them, he decided they were not for him. He was prescribed benzos recently and refused to pick them up from the pharmacy. (thank god!)

And yes, I am certain he did not pick them up. This is a big thing because before, he would have picked them on and gone on a benzo bender for the weekend.

I'm wondering about this whole "hitting bottom" thing. I mean, it seems like he did..because he did kick his looong addiction to oxy. But it seems like hes on the fence as far as total recovery goes. Does "hitting bottom" induce addicts to get help and never touch drugs again? Or does it just kick off the whole recovery process?

I guess I'm just scared to death that he could hit a further bottom then he already has. And I'm wondering if I'm safe in thinking that hes hit bottom and all the rest is just the looooong road to recovery? Do relapses happen after they've hit bottom?

Another question... Has anyone here contacted their addicts doctor about them abusing meds? Was the doctor receptive and did it actually help in that they curbed what they were prescribing?

Thanks for any insight!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I
guess I'm just scared to death that he could hit a further bottom then he already has. And I'm wondering if I'm safe in thinking that hes hit bottom and all the rest is just the looooong road to recovery? Do relapses happen after they've hit bottom?
Hi there...I don't think we've met yet so I wanted to add my welcome. This is a great place with lots of support.

In response to your question...Unfortunately there is no magic formula for recovery or a real definition of hitting bottom. Some addicts may just decide they have had enough and that is that...others struggle to stay clean and may have multiple relapses before finding their way. And unfortunatley still others do not make it. I think that is one of the reasons they say addiction is such a cunning and baffling disease.

Drug use too is sometimes said to be just a symptom of the disease...In other words many times an addict has to find a way to address the underlying issues and has to want to change them too, not just stay clean.

But for us, it all comes down to step 1...We are powerless over addiction and we have to look at what we can control...Our actions and reaction. I know that I was so caught up in how to fix my addict, that I became very sick myself...Obsessive, controlling, isolating, manipulating my addict to try to "cure" the addiction. It wasn't until I started focusing on me that things changed and my life got better. I had to work my own recovery while my addict worked her's.

Coming here and reading and posting and going to lots of Naranon meetings helped...tremendously. Hugs