not only am I thankful, I have a story too:)

Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not only am I thankful, I have a story too:)

I am thankful that I am not the center of the universe, that I am not so important that I can be sick for a day or two without my life, classroom, and friends exploding in an oblivion in my absense. It makes me remember that it is absolutely okay for me to focus on me, and my recovery, because without me there to run things, the world does not end.

My students were a shining example of this for me today. I hate missing a day of work, because I'm always afraid of what I'll come back to (yeah, I'm a bit of a control freak in my classroom), and to be out for two days, well, that's just plain torture for me. I really expected to come back today to a classroom with broken desks, gum all over the ceiling, torn posters, and nothing being accomplished for the past two days. After all, I teach all freshmen all day, and my first block is full of kids who are of the maturity level of fifth graders, so what else should I expect?

Much to my surprise, not only was my room in one piece, and all work I assigned while I was out turned in, but the kids had actually even kept up with their warmup activities while I was out. I have a set of transparencies that we work from everyday on the overhead projector, and I didn't even mention these in my notes for the sub... and believe it or not, the kids took it upon themselves to keep up with these as well!

Okay, so I know this doesn't align itself exactly to my ability to detach with love from my sister's recovery from addiction, but it shares some striking similarities. And that doesn't mean that every time I have to have a sub that the kids will do as well for me as they did this week. But, just for today, I have seen evidence of the world turning without me, and this actually brings me much comfort.

What a load off!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lady, I work as an interpreter for hearing impaired so I use sign language. When I am absent, they never can get a sub that signs, so basically the day is a blow off for the students who need sign. Because of that I go to work even when I am really sick and should stay home. In February I broke my kneecap when a student who was walking behind me accidentally pushed me down. I had to miss 8 weeks of work. Even though it was totally not my fault I felt so guilty about missing that much time. I wanted to go back to work and if I could have driven, I probably would have. So I understand what you mean about missing work and wondering what you would come back to. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-24-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Smile

There is so much wisdom in your insight. Thanks for sharing. The world does keep turning and no one is the center of the universe.

Hope213 says it well as her signature states:
one thing i know about life is....IT GOES ON.

I'm in this universe ( on earth) for a relatively short time. Enjoying and Making the most of this
ride, taking care of myself, letting others live as they choose, are my answers for living well cause life, mine and each one's goes on.