Notices

Am I ready???

Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I ready???

I have to admit... I am wondering... I have been for a few months. Well, Since Jan 07 drinking a bottle of wine a night... after I drink my bottle and am in bed for the night.. I think.. that's it.. I need to be done.. I cant do anymore.. but then the next night... surprise, surprise.. I am back..

I know.. when it comes to alcohol... its not IF but.. WHEN....

I am not sure where to go from here.. I KNOW.. I need to get a grip.. but then.. um, I wonder.. really.. DO I really need to.. I am not a victim....

Just depressed and need a distraction and relaxation... although, deep inside.. I KNOW.. I need to stop.. I think I am afraid to face it head on.. but, hey.. I found this site...

Shrug.. However, here...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi!! maybe check out an AA meeting tomorrow! it can be very scary in the beginning but just think how scary all the thoughts you are having are! you can google meetings in your area!! Good Luck to you!! there are many great people here that can also offer their experience to you! my experience only deals with aa so aa is always my answer to everything!
L
Old 08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm very new to this site too, and it's helped to know that there are people out there with the same problems and really understand.

i struggle with drugs and alcohol. i can relate to how you feel about the wine; except with me it is a couple of beers a day and i am really trying to figure out why that is so wrong.

tonight my daughter, who is 23 and doesn't want her mother to drink anything alcoholic, found a tall can of beer under the mattress of my bed. i swear i don't remember putting it there and it's probably been there for 6 months or more! Why did i feel the need to hide that? No wonder it's a struggle.....

if you feel it's something that you need to stop doing then i suppose it's a problem. As for me....it's a problem because it makes others uncomfortable and they think they know best for me.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why did i feel the need to hide that?
Well, you put it there.

I can't say who is an alcoholic or not, except for myself. Hiding it is a big sign, though. Heck, I was renting a room from a stranger, and still felt complelled to hide it. At the time, I probably would have blamed the ex. Cuz, don't you know, it's her fault I got so used to hiding it in the first place ! (double )

Loss of control is the best indicator. What happens when you take a couple of drinks and get a good buzz going ? If you're anything like me, you want more. And, I'll drink until I'm out of booze or passed out or both.....

What happens when you quit ? Do you think about it constantly ? Do you find yourself drinking again for no apparent reason ? That's how I am, and it's another good indicator.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again BR...

All my fun bottles were empty before I stopped.
Sounds as tho yours are too.

My long term depression is why I decided to quit.
Alcohol is a depressant
Once I got the alcohol out of my life
my depression vanished.

Why not see if this is true for you too?
You can always drink again if you choose.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, br - glad you found us. blessings, k
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once I got the alcohol out of my life
my depression vanished.
This has been very true for me. Two weeks sober now and I feel really good (both physically and mentally)!

I may still have a drink or two in the future but no more regular consumption for me.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pointmagnet View Post
I may still have a drink or two in the future but no more regular consumption for me.
Really? I could never moderate, ever. A drink or two? Not for this alcoholic.

My depression sure got better once I got into recovery, but I still need medication for it, and it still gets bad. I don't think mine will ever 'vanish' and that's okay. At least I don't have to make it worse today by adding alcohol.

Beyond Reconcile? Welcome to SR. I hope you stick around.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Beyond.. Long time no talk to. How have you been holding up?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It sounds like you belong here. Welcome.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i'm new at talking about this ,but i'm an expert at being clean for two weeks and convincing myself i could actually drink moderatly and then within a few weeks i'm right back at it sometimes even worse. please don't fool yourself i've done it over and over again. I'm sure after i'm clean for two weeks again i will try and convince myself i can control it. you can't be afraid of it !!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm sure after i'm clean for two weeks again i will try and convince myself i can control it. you can't be afraid of it !!!!!
I'm not "afraid of it"; but, after 32 years of drinking, and 28 years of sobriety, I have a very healthy respect for it!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Notice the date of the post?

And it wasnt started by Parentrecovers, its an old thread that the beginning is missing from.

Welcome Maggy tho! Sorry but we have had some troubles with the forum and some old threads are all chopped up, I agree with you tho!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for picking up the problem with this thread Stoney

Maggy -- welcome to SR! Feel free to start your own thread here on Newcomers to introduce yourself.