Dance of the Dragonflies

Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Dance of the Dragonflies

Just over 2 years ago, when I first moved here, I noticed a lot of dragonflies also shared my place. Of course this made perfect sense as there is a stream at the edge of the yard and all the amenities that Dragon Flies love.

One evening I was mowing the lawn and I noticed a LOT of dragonflies in the air. There were, I would guess, about 200 of them. All flying around in the one area of the back lawn. Amazing to watch they would climb up high and dive, turn on a dime, hover and do all the flight patterns dragonflies are famous for. It felt magical and the evening air was cool and fine.

I wondered what made them behave like this.. and why they were congregated in my yard. I felt as if I had been given a gift.

For the next two years I have waited for the same thing to happen again.. and so it did yesterday evening. Again.. about 200 dragonflies all in the one section of the lawn. I was out there with my dog so I sat on the lawn and watched them (sure the neighbors think I am nutz, but it is their loss! )

The evening sun was sprinkled on the lawn as it filtered through the trees and I sat there and watched the dragonfly dance. They shimmered and rattled as they flew with their 4 inch wingspans and large thorax with the graceful tails. Some were solid dark blue and others green. Most had tails that were blue and black bands with symmetrical white spots along the sides. Wonderful flying machines!

As I watched, the reason for their dance became obvious. They were catching a hatch of tiny mayflies that were coming from the lawn. The little Mayflies were so small that they looked like bits of fuzz as the evening sun caught them. They had pale green bodies and translucent wings. Some of them were mating on the wing... their first bit of freedom after having lived most of their lives underground. Here they were hatched and ready to mate, lay eggs and die.

Most of them never got the chance as the Dragonflies zoomed and pivoted to grab them from the air. The dragonflies were so voracious they even had some mid air collisions.. their wings rattling in conflict as they cametogether and separated.

While the dragon flies fed, the Mayfiles continued to hatch. Most were consumed but a few got thru. A few rose up higher than the dragonflies and disappeared into the blue of the evening sky.

I guess it all got me to thinking of how recovery works.. often our addicts live for years and years in the underground as addicts, never seeing the light and a few try to escape but end up in the clutches of the dragonfly of relapse. Some of our addicts never escape.. many in fact never do.. but a few do. A few get away from the dragon flies and rise up toward the light of recovery.

Just a thought and a bit of hope.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

What a wonderful sight and great analogy, Elana.

You have a way with words, for a moment I was sitting there with you watching the Dragonfly Dance.

Thanks for sharing such a great visual.

Hugs
Old 08-12-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Boy, that was like reading a good book! I could see the dragonflies!
thanks
susan
Old 08-12-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for this wonderful post. I too could see the dragonflies from your writing. I pray more Mayflies get past those dragonflies and escape into the freedom of life.
Terri
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Elana, you touched me with your post about Dragonflys. I have been
picking raspberries in my little garden..and a lone dragonfly came and
sat on a leaf just as I would like to think watching me. I petted his
wings..talked to him..and heshe flew off. As I continued to pick the
little dragonfly came back..I again talked and held out my hand, he/she
came on to my hand and I had a great peek into what the little one really
looked like. We stayed like that as I picked with one hand..he didn't leave
I finally had to "let him go" to the wonders of the yard.. It also was a great
experience for me..I am very close to nature..and have come very close to
many here on SR..
I am a Mom of a soon to be 22 year old addict as well.. I do belong to another
group .. and have had many wonderful experiences since I have come to know
myself..and my co-dependence issues.
I just wanted to say..thank you for your story..I do read every day..and do
get inspiration from many on your group that helps me with my group..
Truely..it isn't an easy path to be alone..but nature has its way to take
us on another journey of appreciation.
Thanks for your post.. from one that is alone many days..but not alone in
the gifts of life if we reach out and see them and pay attention.

lauren
Old 08-12-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Elana, I could imagine what a beautiful sight the dragonflies must have been, and the story made perfect sense.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nature has always been my HP. I take great solace in enjoying what nature is giving me at any given time. I wish I could have seen the dragonflys dance. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
cmc

Elana,
Thank you so much...what you wrote is so deep and full of hope-yet very real and down to earth. Nature brings us such awesome revelation. I will save this post.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a great post.... I could see those dragonflies as if they were in my backyard.... If I closed my eyes - I could also imagined that my cat would have been going crazy trying to catch the dragon flies as she does with the fireflies in my backyard.....

Leaping into the air with this determined look in her eyes as if to say - you will not get away from me that easily.... Stalking them in the tall grass. Low to the ground, chatting sliently that she knew what they were mocking her....she has managed to to catch one cricket to date - no fireflies.....

I just watch and laugh and try to tell her that she is running in circles but she never listens..... Reminds me of me years ago and my addict....... But better her chasing the fireflies than me the addict!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How peaceful! I love dragonflies. I love them so much, I have one tattooed on the small of my back!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was out in the pool w/ my granddaughter and there were dragonflies! Never paid much attention until this post this morning. She and I had fun watching them!
Old 08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks for the post.it was very inspiring. untill recovery i did not notice the little things around me.life is good if we just take a look & notice.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

The dragonFlies were back tonight. Oliver has not been out to see them (for those who do nto know, Atka is the 7 month old German Shepherd dog and Oliver is the 6 month old kitten and there are also 4 adult cats.. all indoor cats unless on a leash).

It was after the sun had set behind the ridge so no sulight to catch the hatching mayflies like dust in a beam of light thru a window.

They were as active. The rattle of their wings caught Atka's attention and she sat down to watch them. They came down low to her and I expected her to jump to grabe them but she did not. She just sat and watched.. he head and eyes swiveling to follow their motion as they danced both slow and fast with turns and twists.

As I stood still they flew around me so low I could look down on them as they passed. They were so close I could feel the air move as they passed through it.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Beautifully and thoughtfully written.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Elana, When my husband and I go fishing there are always many dragonflies buzzing around us. Some get too close to the water and their frantic attempts to rise again makes them easy targets for the fish waiting underneath. Sometimes they will come and sit on the boat and then leave. I always found them a nuisance as they would buzz around my head. The next time I just might take a closer look because of your story. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Dragon Flies are beneficial insects and tru predators. Even the smaller Darning needles are predatory. The things they eat include some of the things that like to dine on US!

I fly fish. You can make a lure that mimics the Dragon Fly and fish with it. A big bass on a fly rod is an amazing experience.

I let all the fish I catch go. I figure I return them to the water a little smarter and they have a tough enough time getting food, avoiding predators etc.

Of course, on small ponds it is important to reduce the fish population or you end up with all small runty fish due to overcrowding, too many fish for the food supply etc.

Nature is what it is. I do not try to control it and I do understand it is not always soft, cuddly or beautiful.. I do respect nature and I enjoy it and all the creatures it has to offer (except, maybe, Mosquitoes, Ticks, Fleas and Horse Flies!).
Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is such a beautiful analogy. I love the way you write Elana, you make the picture come alive with your description.

Big hugs
Cats
Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hurt again

I think you should take up writing! That was beautifully told. I kept reading and couldn't wait to read the ending like a good book. Please continue to tell great stories as it was like a different me reading this board...a small spark that ignited my imagination..Beautiful!!
Old 08-13-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Thanks.

I have thought of writing and I know I can write. The problem is not in writing a few descriptive lines, but of putting those lines in the context of a story line with a subject and characters that seem real and hold people's interest (as well as the interest of an agent or a publisher!).

I may try some this winter as life slows down a bit. We shall see. I notice the successful new writers rarely write without the help of more experienced mentors. The field is very competitive and I am unsure of where to start and the path to take to make it a success. It is a LOT of work!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is the first summer living with out my AH. I too noticed alot of Dragon Fly's around my area. I mean ALOT! It's inspiring to see them, flying and prancing around me almost as if I were to be free right along with them..