Notices

Is Help a Four Letter Word?

Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Help a Four Letter Word?

I am old and soooo tired of being responsible for my own sickness. I am alone, and have been alone for 19 years. Beer became my friend, and I honestly don't know how to make the jump to sobriety myself. It feels like I will need to try to jump the Grand Canyon, which I know I cannot do. I don't know where to begin. I also feel a bit confused by how best to use this site...my only connection with community right now. Anything anyone can offer will be appreciated...I am running out of hope.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Anything anyone can offer will be appreciated...I am running out of hope.
Where there's life, there's hope, khiggs! You mustn't despair...everyone at this site has been where you are...some more than a few times. But, many have managed to become sober, and stay that way.

Besides continuing to post here, and gathering strength from everyone, you might give some consideration to attending AA meetings...a sure way of combating the loneliness...at the same time as learning to use the tools to recovery.

You don't say exactly where you are located...simply look in the phone book under Alcoholics Anonymous for the meetings near you. Or, they can be found on the internet. Good Luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome khiggs.

I thought beer was my friend too, but the great irony of my "so called friend" was that it was pushing me further and further into greater isolation and lonliness.

If you think of sobriety as a gulf you must cross you may never make it. In recovery I learned not to focus on the "great forever" of never drinking again as my alcoholic mind could not grasp the awesome eternity of never seeing my 'friend" again. I had to learn to take it "one day at a time".

Focus on baby steps and not on the giant leaps.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi khiggs, you're not alone anymore, so many of us have the same stories and similarities.

For me AA was the way to stay sober and begin a life-long journey of recovery. Most importantly, I rarely feel lonely anymore, I've met more people in sobriety than I ever thought was possible.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I soooooo wanted to do it alone. Self sufficient, self reliant, rugged individualist that I was in my mind.

When I finally surrendered, admitted I needed help, and asked for it, help came. Came in a big way.

The only way to win the fight is to surrender. I can't beat alcohol alone.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

khiggs...

Yeah...I can relate..beer gave me liver disease...I argued with my doc..

"But it's only beer!"

When I first got sober I truly felt I lost my best friend..bad as it was for me.

I agree with everything Glass Prisoner told you.

And..Welcome to SR!

My best to you!

Love,

IO
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Oh..khiggs..

It's never to late!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Khiggs,

Welcome - glad you're here. What IO said - it's never too late!

You're no different than me - I'm an alkie too - couldn't stop. But I did, a day at a time, and you can too.

xo Row
p.s. hope you keep posting here
Old 08-03-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, khiggs. thanks for reaching out and being honest. keep posting, and don't lose hope - recovery is possible. blessings, k
Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tears come...

Tears come to my eyes and my throat tightens. I want to cry, but something holds me back. (Maybe I won't be able to see the keys to type?) Your voices are sweet to me and I feel deep gratitude. I would LOVE to attend AA meetings, but I live literally in the middle of nowhere & the AA meetings in my area are at night when I can't drive (because I can't see at night anymore...remember, I'm old). I have two old dogs. When they pass on I will retire and move into a more populated area where face to face recovery resources will be more available. In the meantime, I am taking and learning what I can from this site and wonderful people like you. Maybe there is hope, even for an old idiot baby, taking baby steps...good advice. I am very thankful. ~khiggs
Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Try not to be too hard on yourself, Khiggs.

Just a suggestion - you could call the local AA office, and explain your dilemma. You might be surprised to find there are members who would be happy to give you a lift.
You won't know until you try.

In the meantime, stick around. We NEED you here.

Row
Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling better today. Don't stay away. let us know how you're doing.