side effects of them not drinking??

Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

side effects of them not drinking??

According to the hospital my husband is not an alcoholic, but rather an abuser of alcohol. Because of the recent court things that have gone on they have put him on a random testing schedule where he has to phone in every day and then report if his number/color is chosen.

He has not had anything to drink that I know of in 4 days. He has had flu-like symptoms for the past couple of days. Does he have the flu? or is it his body cleaning itself of the alcohol?

He is also very very tired. His lips keep getting frothy (gross I know).

Any other symptoms would be helpful. I should know if he is having a problem so I can step in if I need to.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like physical w/d to me,but more will be around.

Perhaps ask on the Alcoholism forum,too?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Here's a good place to start-

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html
Old 07-26-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

According to the hospital my husband is not an alcoholic, but rather an abuser of alcohol.
Followed by

Because of the recent court things that have gone on they have put him on a random testing schedule where he has to phone in every day and then report if his number/color is chosen.
Is ironic. I can't asy he's an alcoholic, but I do see red flags. Especially considering

He has not had anything to drink that I know of in 4 days. He has had flu-like symptoms for the past couple of days
Sounds like WD to me.....
Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like WD to me as well, but I have been told by professionals that he is not what they consider an alcoholic, but an abuser...so Im totally confused. I think it is great if he can get better now.

I did bump into this device call Scram, which is an alcohol monitoring anklet. I do hope they give him that added incentive to help him stay sober. I fear he will figure out the system and when he can or cannot drink.

Right now they have him set for 18 months of sobriety...but we will see if that happens. Im not holding my breath, just hopeful.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

P.S.

I made up some peanut-butter chocolate bars that are just loaded with fat and junk. I heard that it was important in early sobriety to keep lots of surgary, high-carb foods in the house and readily available.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

You mentioned a hospital but may be he should see his primary medical doctor. Withdrawal can be dangerous. It's possible that whomever you saw at the hospital was wrong.

I think he should be seen by a doctor!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Originally Posted by loverof1 View Post
According to the hospital my husband is not an alcoholic, but rather an abuser of alcohol. Because of the recent court things that have gone on they have put him on a random testing schedule where he has to phone in every day and then report if his number/color is chosen.

He has not had anything to drink that I know of in 4 days. He has had flu-like symptoms for the past couple of days. Does he have the flu? or is it his body cleaning itself of the alcohol?

He is also very very tired. His lips keep getting frothy (gross I know).

Any other symptoms would be helpful. I should know if he is having a problem so I can step in if I need to.

Thanks

Ditto sounds like WD to me as well-my brother went through this pretty badly!

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withdraw/a/aa030307a.htm
Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

he wont go. He doesnt appear to have the sweats or shakes. I truly dont know anymore. Maybe it is just the flu...

When I discussed my husbands alcoholism with the AODA counselor, he said that AH may not have known he was going through withdrawals before and that if the WD symptoms were bad enough he would ask to go to the hospital.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Psychiatrists and other medical professionals use a book called the DSM IV. It is a guide for diagnosing mental disorders. There is no such thing as alcoholism in the DSM IV, only Alcohol Abuse and Alcohol Dependence. That might be why they didn't use the word "alcoholic." So, the terminology is probably irrelevant.

BTW, Lindsey Lohan was using one of those ankle monitors and apparently it didn't do much good.

I think keeping in touch with the primary care doctor is a great idea. The good news is he has 4 days behind him. Good luck to you both....
Old 07-26-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If he starts acting irrational or hearing or seeing things that aren't there,let his doctor know. ( My sister had this happen one time.)

Some of the "experts" don't seem to call it alcoholism until it is so obvious that a small child could make the correct call. If I am not mistaken, I person can also be an alcoholic without being physically dependent on alcohol (ie binge drinkers).

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I am not mistaken, I person can also be an alcoholic without being physically dependent on alcohol (ie binge drinkers).
Yup, the only traits common during all stages are tolerance (High in first and mid stage ,and low, or reverse, at the end) and an inability to control drinking once the drinking starts.