Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Anxiety Disorders
Reload this Page >

Off caffeine and alcohol; anxiety better, but can't stay awake.

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I took Lexapro for anxiety for a while but quit 4mo ago cause it was making me fat. Since then I've controlled the anxiety pretty well with meditation, tai chi and self help books. I found that alcohol and caffeine were major contributors to my problem, so I quit both of those 10 days ago. I haven't noticed much in the way of withdrawal and my anxiety levels have decreased noticeably. I'm also sleeping better at night, but I'm finding myself getting really tired in the afternoon and the 15 minute nap I used to take just isn't getting it done anymore. Last night, for example, I slept really well and felt great all day today until about 2:00. Then I was just dead tired. After work I took a 45 minute nap and have felt half asleep ever since. It's been like this for the last 3 days.

I assume this is mostly from cutting out the 3-4 cups of coffee I used to drink throughout the day, but I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how long this will last.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Don't know because I have never gone without the caffeine for more then a day but what I did find on the times I tried stopping the caffeine .... Apple Juice is a natural replacement for the caffeine and can wake you up better then a cup of coffee.
Also found that Hot Chocolate has some caffeine in it as well. Good to know if you are trying to stay away from the caffeine.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your low energy level could be an effect of the alcohol and caffeine withdrawal. After I quit drinking alcohol I felt tired for almost 2 weeks (but I was quite a heavy drinker). Just hang in there, exercise and give your body time to recover.

I quit coffee 4 years ago because it made my anxiety disorder worse. Now if I want an energy boost I eat something with a lot of sugar in it.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile The lethargy (low energy level) will pass in about 10 days.

Then you will have more constant energy throughout the day and into the evening, at least it did for me last time around. I just quit again. I am now on day 5 without caffeine. Keep going. You won’t know how good you’ll feel without caffeine until you are off for between 30 and 60 days, but you’re energy will return at about 10 days.

Here is some info you can read to keep you motivated.

http://www.caffeinedependence.org/ca...ependence.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?Caffeine-C...acks&id=122306
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in676309.shtml
http://www.welcometothedancecaffeineallergy.com/
http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine2.html
Old 07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys.

I appreciate the input. It's good to know this is temporary. I'm on day 10 now and this is the best I've felt since I got off the antideppressant. I'm definitely feeling more energetic than yesterday and I haven't felt anxious at all today.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hmmm...

This caffeine thing explains a lot.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it really is one trippy drug. Especially if one has anxiety or is on meds for it.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just checking in, in case anyone's interested. I'm on Day 15 now and feeling better all the time. The anxiety still comes and goes but when it comes it doesn't last as long or become as intense as it used to. Since I quit the alcohol and caffeine at the same time I can't say definitively how much quitting caffeine has helped but I can say that this time is going much better than other times I've tried to get off alcohol. I'd definitely recommend anyone with anxiety issues avoid both drugs.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I slipped up and had some today and I am paying for it. My ears are ringing like crazy compared to the days I have been off. And all I had today was tea.

Keep going. I will try to stay right behind you.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to drink coffee but most decaf coffees don't taste very good to me. With tea I can't taste the difference between regular and decaf, and Celestial Seasoning has some really good decafs. So I put a box of decaf green tea in my desk at work. It's not as good as a real cup of strong coffee but it's still pretty good and won't make my heart pound.

I did notice the anxiety kicking in this morning though. Haven't felt well most of the day. It's been a long time since I was sober this long, so hopefully today's just my body adjusting.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When getting sober I went through lots of ups and downs for sure. I think AA helps a lot, the fellowship, the steps, and the meetings. Some of my best friends, strike that, all of my best friends are in AA. I am never alone anymore unless I choose to be. Unfortunately, my alcoholic mind tells me being alone might be good from time to time. Then I get really twisted up.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also am treated for anxiety and caffeine is a big no-no as it totally countereacts against the anxiety treatment. It took me a good two weeks or mayble a little more, as I would have little relaspes, still do, occasionally. But can't get me to drink a regular cup of coffee....uh-uh. I slip up with iced tea in a restaurant or "treating" myself occassionally with a Dr. Pepper.
I drink decaf coffee and don't miss the regular at all, but sure would have a time giving up the habit/ritual of morning coffee.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Angry Hey LW, et al

I am anxious as heck today, and I am having tea. And I don’t know why I am having tea, unless it is pure addiction (which I suspect it is, but I still can't stop). Does anyone else who suspects (or knows) caffeine is really bad for them have real trouble staying away from it?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool

Well I am off again. I am on a day or two, and off a day of two. Is this progress? LOL.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, it is day three without caffeine. Tinnitus and anxiety are down, way down.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm on day 20 without caffeine or alcohol. Kicking the caffeine hasn't been too bad for me. Especially considering I started drinking coffee when I was a little kid. Most days I still feel like I need an afternoon nap but it's not nearly as bad as when I started this thread when I was sleepy all day long.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Afternoon naps are supposed to be very good for you, and some people really thrive on them. Maybe this is not the result of caffeine. Although, I have also read that it can take about 60 days for an ex-caffeine drinker to feel normal again.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Naps rule!!

We call them nooners at our company.

Fortunately we can (if we want to) take a nooner for an hour on an easy chair (much like a lazy boy chair that reclines). Aaaaahhhh! Nothing like a power nap to rejuvenate. It really helps to get thru the day.

I had one today..........feel great.

Intro
Old 07-31-2007, 05:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I've been off (once again) caffeine for over a month now and my anxiety level is way down. I have to watch the substitutions though, especially sweets. The addict in me always wants to feel different. Went to a meditation group last night and that helped.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cool

Well, I slipped again, had some coffee yesterday, and paid for it by suffering with extra loud tinnitus. I am recommitted to staying off and tapering the benzos again. It was so much better off! Even though I was exhausted.