Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Newbie, Hope this board has repliers because i need that help!

Notices

Newbie, Hope this board has repliers because i need that help!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Newbie, Hope this board has repliers because i need that help!

how ya doin everyone.

well start by saying my name is mike and im from staten island, NY (home of the most prescription drug and as well oxycontin users, so go figure) Anyways, back to my story. ive been using for about 3 years (pill form, no needles no nothing just pills....oxycontin,percocet,vicodin and codiene and anything else that had any opiate) but the last 6 months heavy. i wasnt doing it EVERY single day BUT the days i didnt do it...was JUST because i couldent find any on the street and/or didnt have the money. (i use illegaly, nothing was prescribed)...anyways im sick of hiding this from my freinds and family and im withdrawling as we speak..day 1 that is...now......tapering is out of the question i dont wanna be near pills. but im low on money, and i just need a confidential way of getting off these opiate's without any1 but myself and maybe 1 or 2 close freinds that are sober helping me. i used a search database for hospitals near me for out patient but im on here to know....well before i say this...i know everyones diffrent but all in all....what would be the best way to go about this. i dont think ive had a SEVERE addiction....but enough to make my life a living hell without my little freinds called pills. please help, anything is appreciated ill be checking here hourly to see because i need help soon as possible. by the way im 20 years of age, i was looking at suboxone treatment and that looked fantastic just dont know how much that would be, please please please! help! lol thankyou and thankyou for reading! im looking forward to your answers! and advice!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mike and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us and you will get lots of support and information here.

I'm a recovering alcoholic and don't have specific advice to give you, but hang on, and others will be along who can help out. Have you considered talking to your dr and asking for his help and advice?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, thats the thing i just switched healthcare's recently like to where i havent even met a dr yet, and i have no clue as to what to do?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Welcome to Sober Recovery. I think there is some information in the "Substance Abuse" forum here I have seen post about the kinds of drugs you are dealing with. I think being on suboxone is good for some and not good for others.

Have you been in touch with a doctor at all? I don't know about coming off what you are on either but, I bet you could call the NA hotline and get some good info. I am sure others will be around too so keep posting and checking back.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yea i havent talked to a doctor as of yet, but hopefully soon i will. i will wait for advice i mean dealing with wd is hell, especially hiding it from your family who your with when your home, and im home alot. i just dont know yet, i wanna see the advice people here want to give. thankyou for reading i appreciate it
Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

anyone have any WD recipes??
Old 07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR you are in the right place.

If you have health insurance you should try to get oyourself to detox even if you decide to skip the rehab part. Atleast you can go through withdrawals with Dr. supervision. When I went to detox the people on opiates were in and out in 4 days. I went to bergen regional in paramus new jersey. The toll free # is 800-730-2762. I am a jersey resident with no insurance and they took me anyway, I am not sure if they will take you for free since you are out of state, but it is worth looking into.
Goodluck to you. If you need more info I became friends with one of the nurses while I was there pM me and I will be glad to try and find out anything you need.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mike, you also might want to check out this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rst-timer.html
Old 07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wish I had some withdrawal advice for you, Mike, but I've no experience in this area, nor would I in good conscience give medical advice.
I'd go to a detox and get some professional help - I wouldn't mess around with coming off that stuff.
You've got a hard road ahead of you but you can do this - many others have - I'm in recovery from booze and benzos. There is help and hope!
Please let us know how you are doing.

Rowan
Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

bfree4 u....question..(and thank u for your time and advice)..is that an inpatient place? and without insurance how much would it be?...and 51anna....im PHYSICALLY screwed..mentally im fine
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

Hey Kick,

I am an opiate addict and was using the exact same opiates (and a few more) that you listed, not only in pill form though, but I have experience with what you are going through. I can't give you medical advice legally or ethically but I can tell you my experience. I was using every day and I detoxed cold turkey. I knew I couldn't do it tapering, I would cheat for sure. I started getting sick around 4 to 6 hours after my last hit and stayed sick for about 5 days. I was nauseous, diarrhea, cramp like pain, my legs ached so bad (opiate withdrawals caused the phrase "kicked the habit" by the way, from the pain in the legs), I had a runny nose and yawned a lot. I was tired but couldn't sleep. I had bad circles under my eyes. I had the shakes really bad and the sweats. The really heavy, horrible feeling lasted about five days. I did it all without medical care because I don't have insurance and didn't want suboxone or methadone. I am not sure how you would like to do it so I am only giving my experience. After about five days, the pain lessened a bit and I felt raw and shaky, like a baby or something. That lasted about two weeks after, but that was certainly more manageable than the first week. I wish you luck. It's tough but not impossible. PM me anytime if you need some help and I apologize to the board if I have gone into too much detail about my experience (I wish someone had explained it to me beforehand instead of me learning about detox from movies lol).

Jenny
Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I don't understand why you are unwilling to share your addiction with your parents and get their help and support. Part of the disease is the lies and hidden secret self.
often it helps in recovery to be honest. getting off the pills and getting clean is only the beginning. Then the work of recovery begins to figure out and reprogram your addictive thinking. The longer the program the better chance of long term recovery.
Family support could prove to be benificial. I speak as the mom of an addict son in his early 20s.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Isn't suboxone still an opiate?

That's kind like me drinking a fifth of bourbon daily, and "detoxing" by drinking wine or beer, then proudly telling everyone I am "sober" or "in recovery".

Just quit. Get all the help from a Dr. you can but please do not substitute your current DOC for something else like Suboxone.

Last edited by Taking5; 07-11-2007 at 02:33 AM. Reason: accidently posted before I was done
Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, kick. blessings, k
Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi kickthebadhabit. Sorry to hear about what you're struggling with.

I'm trying to track down more specific information, but I want to tell you about Drugs Anonymous (DA) meetings that are held at Roosevelt Hospital in Manhattan. A couple of years ago, some people in recovery started this Drugs Anonymous type of meeting because there are so many of us with addictions to prescription pain meds and other drugs. The meetings follow the AA format, but instead of "alcohol", the literature refers to "mind altering substances".

In any case, there are tons of prescription med addicts, as well as alcoholics and cross-addicted people, at these DA meetings. And they are great meetings where you can meet other men and women who have exactly the same problem you have.

I just called someone I know up in the NYC area and am trying to reach the woman who started these meetings a couple of years ago. I know they are still doing them up in Greenwich, CT. But I also know they were doing them at Roosevelt Hospital. It would be great if you could go to one of these meetings and meet some others so you don't have to do this all alone.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

checking in, i love the advice and im so glad theres people out there this nice....im gonna get back to this tonight...im busy at work right now...ttyl every1!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Here is a good "detox bath recipe"

You will need:

1 cup Epsom salts

! cup baking soda

1 cup raw oat meal

1 old white cotton sock(without holes) you can use a new one if you don't have an old one.

1 large unbreakable sports bottle filled with pure water

Take the cotton sock and put the oatmeal in the sock this you will use like a wash cloth. tie off the open end.

Start bath water using as hot a water as you can reasonably stand pour in baking soda and Epsom salts let dissolve throw in the sock filled with oatmeal and let it get soggy. Have sports bottle with water ready and get in tub. Soak in tub until water is cool.
You must drink water while in tub!!! The Epsom Salts pulls fluids out of the body as well as toxins and this helps soothe muscle aches and pains the baking soda neutralizes toxins use the oatmeal sock like a wash cloth to soothe the skin and relieve any itching.

Have someone be in the house or apartment with you while doing this bath. If you feel dizzy get out of the tub.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know that coming off opiates is hard. It is painful mentally and physically. I don't have much more advice to give because everyone here has already given some great advice. I just want to wish you the best of luck through this.