Notices

Trying Antabuse and feeling hopeful

Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Trying Antabuse and feeling hopeful

Hello everyone!

I just found this site tonight when I was looking for information on the web about how long I can be off antabuse before drinking. I haven't taken a pill in about 6 days and was tempted to try it. I am glad I found this website instead. Maybe I can come here when feeling tempted instead.

I have been in five different treatment programs. Residential, and outpatient. I do okay while I am court ordered to go and have to do U.A.s, but out on my own not so well. I am a functional alcoholic, whatever that means. I drink only at night and no one knows but me. But I can't go one night without it (until now, since I have been on antabuse) and 12 step programs haven't helped me. I just don't feel better or get what everyone else is getting there. At least not enough to help me quit drinking.

I thought I was the only alcoholic in the world who had the idea of asking a doctor for antabuse instead of waiting for the "miracle" at AA. You see, I am desperate, and my recovery is more important than the opinion of other AAers who are making it on the program alone (supposedly).

Come to find out, there are other people out there like me who take antabuse voluntarily. I started it on June 20th and haven't had any problems and feel so free---except tonight when I realized I have forgotten to take the pill lately, and the old tempation set in. I will not drink tonight. I know that now. Every day is one more success lately. I am grateful to God, to my doctor, to medicine, and to all of you for being here.

Are there any other antabuse users out there?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi KLC11 - I haven't posted in a while but reading posts tonight. Thanks for sharing - see by your profile that you are a single mom & student. SR has got me through a lot. Just knowing someone is ready to help and cheer for my success as a mother of an addict. Don't know anything about antabuse but keep us posted on how you are doing. Good Luck - you can do it! ((((HUGS))))
Old 07-08-2007, 03:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I did use Antabuse in early recovery.
It did help me until I decided to have
a split of Champagne while taking only
125 mg and it had been 16 hours
since I took it.
I became so violently ill
I gave up the Antabuse for alcohol.

Why you are no longer taking it?
Did your doctor take you off due to
liver problems?

Yes...I do use AA for my recovery
but there are other programs
to be explored.

Check tis out...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

I do hope you keep posting with us
Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Im a 40 year old mum with three kids and I did take antibuse but it didnt work for me!! Well saying it didnt work isnt complety true I would take the tablet then drink then vomit then have horrible papatating heart beats and oh yes looking like a red tomato finally gave it away that I was willing to risk my life for a dam drink!! until I finally relised that I had to stop drinking because I WANTED TO STOP DRINKING. I think until you really feel in your heart that you want to stop only then can you have some sort of inner peace with this disease. Please come back here as much as you can go to AA ( I must confess I didnt go to AA Im a wimp too shy but this place I come here at least twice a day its being a godsend to me and I truely mean that.
Take care Ang
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, klc - keep posting! k
Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GURUJAKE

Welcome KLC- it sounds like you want to drink more than you want to stay sober. The fact that you realize you have been forgetting to take Antabuse and instead of getting back on the pill, you are sitting around contemplating whether or not you'll get sick if you drink. I used Antabuse to give myself a little cushion of sobriety (45 days, was supposed to be 90) while I immersed myself into AA. I tried for 6 months before that with no success stopping on my own. Now, I'm coming up on 2 years and I never had to take a drink again. It's amazing how quickly the obsession passes as time goes by. For me, life has gotten to be so fun. I am doing things now that I could have only dreamed about before. BTW...I was no amateur alcoholic...I had a good 20 years old drinking before I made the decision to take back control of my life. It can be done!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For those who take it and it works for them, my hats are off to you.

My gut reaction, however, is it doesn't make sense to ingest something to prevent you from ingesting something else.

My Mom went to the Shick Shadel centers in the late 70s. Their treatment was pavlovian in nature. The gave you antibuse, and made you drink. They did this over and over until they almost killed you. She still drinks.....

The problem is not the drink, it's the way I think. Until I change that, I'm going to be miserable with or without booze.