Hitting Bottom

Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hitting Bottom

I think a light may have come on in my recovering AH's head yesterday.

He went to the party store to buy cigs and encountered a homeless man on a bike who asked for a cigarette. When he was actively drinking he would have been in too much of a rush to get home to his beer but he now stopped an offered the man 2 cigs. The man thanked my husband for the cigs and said "you know, I can take or leave smoking but this beer (he had a 40 oz beer in a paper bag) I just can't get rid of this, it ruined my life".

I almost cried when my AH said that for the first time he saw what his future would be if he continued drinking and that he believes his HP is talking to him through this man and another incident this week where he went to a mission/sober living facility to repair an air conditioner and spoke with some of the residents.

A few weeks ago my AH would have disregarded all this, calling these people "drunks and losers". Now he sees the risk he runs of becoming one of them, a huge breakthrough for him.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i hope you are right had! i am a great believer that people and events are placed in front of us to guide us right where we need to be when we need to be there if our eyes are open enought to see them.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

ditto what hopeangel said ! good for you and your rah ! Hopefully its what he needed to keep him motivated and on the right track !
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hadenoughnow View Post
A few weeks ago my AH would have disregarded all this, calling these people "drunks and losers". Now he sees the risk he runs of becoming one of them, a huge breakthrough for him.
great story, thank you!
I connected with the above quote. I'm always fascinated when
people just dismiss others with cliched labels. I think there is something
to learn from everyone. Because, who chooses to be a 'drunk and loser'?
These people didn't just decide in their early teens,
"you know, i think of all the choices i can make, i'll become a homeless addicted person.
It's much better than being a doctor, or astronaut, or fireman.
The life for me is a homeless addict! ".
To me, these people show how fragile we are,
and how our conscious mental choices can't always overcome our physical compulsions.

Before the 18th century, many people believed that physical sickness
like influenza, bronchitis etc were signs of either (a) weakness or (b) punishment
from God. Then, Pasteur discovered germs, and helped us all understand.

So too our homeless brothers and sisters want for a better life.
But something, somehow, won't let them stick to their mental resolutions.
I do believe that too could be me.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep posting, and prayers to you and your family - k
Old 07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, that might have been his moment of clarity. It sounds as if his HP is talking to him, and he's at least listening.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hopefully he has had an awakening. And he is right it is his HP talking to him.

Earthworm

Originally Posted by hadenoughnow View Post
I think a light may have come on in my recovering AH's head yesterday.

He went to the party store to buy cigs and encountered a homeless man on a bike who asked for a cigarette. When he was actively drinking he would have been in too much of a rush to get home to his beer but he now stopped an offered the man 2 cigs. The man thanked my husband for the cigs and said "you know, I can take or leave smoking but this beer (he had a 40 oz beer in a paper bag) I just can't get rid of this, it ruined my life".

I almost cried when my AH said that for the first time he saw what his future would be if he continued drinking and that he believes his HP is talking to him through this man and another incident this week where he went to a mission/sober living facility to repair an air conditioner and spoke with some of the residents.