getting what we need

Old 06-21-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting what we need

I received an IM from a girl on this site a few weeks ago saying she was going to be in my town this week. She called this morning and we met this evening for coffee. What a wonderful meeting. I have been having some resentment issues with my daughter and today I had to pick up the baby from day care because he had a temp. I was so overwhelmed, I called my daughter and told her she had to take him to the doctor, I had already left work, and couldn't miss tomorrow. She said she would take him tomorrow AFTER WORK...I explained he could not go to daycare sick and that I was not taking off so she had to...Well, that woke her up, she took him to the ER and he has bronchitis, he's fine and staying at my moms for the weekend. I was so resentful, I am exhausted, she is skating and actually had the gall to tell a mutual acquaintance that 'she was enjoying the vacation"...I havent been on vacation for the last 6 weeks. I have been angry and resentful. I havent been to a meeting for 3 weeks because I had the baby. Trying to handle everything myself and failing. The girl tonite started talking about meetings...Yes, I didn't have the baby tonite and I could make a meeting...and I did...A message from out of town I needed to hear. I am going to involve my daughter in the everyday things that Xander needs, and that I need. She can sit here while I hit a meeting...Why do I make things so difficult when they can be so simple? Thanks everyone for being here and to my new friend...Marian
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Why do I make things so difficult when they can be so simple?
Because we codies tend to just blunder along instead of planning ahead...something I still do far too often.

Life is hard until we decide it doesn't have to be. Then it's not hard anymore.

Hugs
Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you made it back to a meeting and are starting to firm up those boundaries again. I know if I let myself slip on working program I can easily slip back to old ways. Makes sense...that is what I know...old habits die hard and new ways of living take work to become habit. But the benefits are oh so terrific! Hugs
Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like, I guess I forget what's going on here, but Xander is your....grandchild??.....step-child....? your daughter is the biological parent?? If so, i guess you are the custodial parent since she is the addict unable to take care of the child she gave birth to? Or what?
Clue me in and I'll dole out some advice.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

That's cool that you had a visit from a fellow SR ! I just noticed that you live in Punta Gorda. I have fond memories of your town. The yr. I graduated high school, along time ago, I spent the summer there. I have 3 very good friends I've met in alanon. When we meet others in recovery we often have an instant friendship because we get honest w/ ea. other quickly. Sounds like you are working through your resentments. My AS is not in my life with is sad. However, from listening to parents who have the addict in their life, that also has its challenges. Either way it is not easy.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree with Ann.
We DO tend to blunder along... feeling paralyzed by teh situation we are already in and not taking hte necessary steps to remove ourselves.

I think the biggest realization and accompanying discomfort I've experienced and continue to experience is that when I feel I'm trapped in something- the awareness that I am the only one who has a choice to remove myself from it- is often frustrating and deeply uncomfortable. Extracting myself from that which is hurting me requires- awareness, acceptance and than action.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of my biggest faults is not asking for help and then resenting doing everything myself. Sending some hugs and hopes that you can make a few meetings. Hugs, Marle
Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

Marion-
We sure do get what we need. I hear messages for so many people when I am open.
Thanks for your post-I am so glad you are "here"
Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Life can be simple. What a concept!

I need to do that in my life. Figure our where I can cut out drama and just do it, no questions asked, without looking back.

Thanks for your post; you are right, things can be simpler under the right light.