6/12 Language of Letting Go

Old 06-12-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6/12 Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Spontaneity and Fun

Practice being spontaneous. Practice having fun.

The joy of recovery is that we finally get to experiment. We get to learn new behaviors, and we don't have to do them perfectly. We only need to find a way that works for us. We even have fun experimenting, learning what we like, and how to do what we like.

Many of us have gotten into a rut with rigidity, martyrdom, and deprivation. One of the "normal" experiences many of us have been deprived of is having fun. Another one is being spontaneous. We may not have the foggiest notion what we would like to do for fun. And we may hold ourselves in check so tightly that we wouldn't allow ourselves to try something fun anyway.

We can let ourselves go a little now and then. We can loosen up a bit. We don't have to be so stiff and rigid, so frightened about being who we are. Take some risks. Try some new activities. What would we like to do? What might we enjoy doing? Then, take another risk. Pick out a movie we'd like to see; call a friend, and invite him or her to go along. If that person says no, try someone else, or try again another time.

Decide to try something, and then go through with it. Go once. Go twice. Practice having fun until fun becomes fun.

Today, I will do something just for fun. I will practice having fun until I actually enjoy it.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
full of hope

Cynay, I love this idea! I never realized you could practice having fun!? What a great idea! I wonder if it works...I mean if you eventually learn to have fun by practicing?? Hmm....
Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cynay, I love this book myself ~ThankYou~ I am in the middle of exactly this, I have spontaneously began doing all sorts of things! Classes, trips, cooking, and now I am scheduling Skydiving on the 30th of this month!~ I feel let loose! Free to be me, to express me, so much of me was gone for so long. Life is becoming fun once again. I even changed my ph#. Getting new glasses on Wednesday. If it can be changed I am...I will be the butterfly! I was stuck eating leaves and wrapped up for way too long! And now I can fly :-)
Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well, I went to the ballet and lunch on Saturday with someone special, and on Sunday we saw Shrek 3 and went to dinner. Tonight we're going to a meeting together and out for dinner afterwards. I'm having fun!

My kids and I are traveling to Ohio this weekend for 9 days. The first night we have plans, but the next 8 days will be pure spontaneity, just doing whatever we want.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Geez,,I've been practicing so hard, my kids are afraid I'm gonna KILL myself,,,he,he,he

~ took my mustang for a ride on the coast with the top down, the wind through my hair and the speedometer WAY too high

~ had a spontaneous cookout on saturday in the middle of a move,,,,flipping burgers and ordering the placement of my things,,,LOL

~ "futzed" with setting up my new home, enjoyed the simple things like candles and the "first bath" in my new jacuzzi

~ met some friends who live in my new city and got to get "shown around". You would not BELEIVE how many paisley, nag champa and hemp stores there are in this city. I am IN LOVE!!!!

~ practice, practice, practice the fine art of FREEDOM. No better FUN!!

Thanks Cynay, your 6/whatever number series is spot on with whats going on in these boards at the time,,,your a SMART girl

Peace
Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i bought myself two toys last wkend - a huge bottle of bubbles and a "skip it" which you put around your ankle and skip/jump around - kind of like a hoolahoop. my husband will only let me play skip it on the grass, away from cement and other hard objects..he's convinced i am going to end up in the er.

practice! k
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My favorite part of the week is dancing with my niece during "So you think you can dance" on Wednesdays.