Sociopath, psychopath, whatever!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sociopath, psychopath, whatever!

Sociopathic personality disorder. They keep changing the term, but it doesn't matter what you call it. I've been doing alot of reading lately, I believe my A to be one. Twice the insanity 100 times the fun. Does anyone else here believe theirs to be?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Well...

mmmmmm, crazy? yep
100% Certifiable nut job with a tendency to be a wacko.
But I'm sure the have a new feel good term for some of those.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I decided mine had borderline personality disorder. Had? Still does!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WHACK-A-DOO,,,,,

I'm thinking OCD, Manic Depressive, ADHD, a bit of looney tunes and a large dose of INSANE!!!

Oh wait that's me,,,,,,he,he,he,,,

I beleive the term used is CODIE!!!!

Caused by someone with SPD,,,

Peace
Old 06-11-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All of the above and them some. That's a practicing alcoholic. We're often mis-diagnosed with all of the above too.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As for me, I've been reading about Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Scary how much of it fits - maybe not all of it to the degree I've read about, but the tendencies are certainly there and probably always have been. Diagnosis? Incurable. Interestingly enough, my own therapist once referred to my husband as an anti-social narcissist. I didn't listen at the time. He was right. I was wrong. And I've been devalued and discarded in the most cold and cruel way - very typical of these folks, I gather. I hope it keeps getting better with time.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My exAH fit the DSM-IV description of a narcissist to a tee. It freaked me out when I read it, but doggone if it wasn't right on target in the diagnosis description.

Current AH has schizoid personality disorder. There is something similar called schizoidal type personality disorder, but that ain't quite him. He was officially diagnosed with "co-morbidity" by a shrink. That means he is an A with a personality disorder. Gee, go figure .... and all along I just thought he was a drunk!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup. I can't diagnose him, although quite how anyone gets a diagnosis when some of the core traits include pathological lying and the creation of a "false self", I have no idea.

I got a lot of comfort from reading forums relating to NPB and ASPD. Google will throw some up if you search on narcissism + forum.

Personality Disorders and addiction are often found together. In fact, I believe that the behaviours displayed by excessive drinkers are often on the sociopathic end of the scale. I don't need to differentiate between a drink disorder and a personality disorder if I make sure my boundaries relate to behaviour, though.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh yesssssssssssss!

I've been reading a lot on NPD lately and if mines not fullblown he's definately got lot of traits that with the benefit of hindsight were there even through his spell of 10 years sobriety.

The feelings of entitlement,grandiosity,lack of empathy and inappropriate sexual behaviour are just some of them.

In short, he's been gone nearly four months-getting his NPD fix from his needy barfly-and I do miss having him around as I've been with him two thirds of my life-this is sooooo toxic that combined with the drinking is just impossible to live with if you want ny degree of happiness for yourself.

Every chance this will grow into a massive thread as when people read up on things a lot,like myself will get their eyes opened IMHO.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

alcoholism is just the symtom of other problems that the alcoholic is trying to self medicate. my ah suffers from prolonged post tramatic stress syndrome.

that's what is officially diagnosed right now... i am sure there is more...
Old 06-12-2007, 04:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well..it's was more like this me..
She was sociopath and then i became the psychopath for hanging out
There's a fine line...lol
She didn't cared but I was just crazy !!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yes, yes, yes. my xh was diagonsed with narsissitic (sp) personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, and others.

very, very scary people......add the alcohol and he was a true nightmare that walked, talked, and drew breath.

whatever the diagnosis, i'm so thankful that i ended my nightmare with him.

it just freaks me out to read on the other forums about the different diagnosis......but i keep reading, because it validates my experiences.

i've learned so much. and learning about it made it easier to let go of him and move on with my own life. and thank god i had a life left to live after the harrowing years with him and his illnessess.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mine fits every trait for psychopath.......excuse me antisocial personality disorder is what they are calling it. Very scary. Thankfully we are not togather and he finally moved out. Should be divorced in August. But he's still around and it's a little frightening. One page I found on the subject warned that if you had come into contact with someone who fit the signs, to remove yourself from the situation and alert someone if possible. Now when I do have to deal with him that's all I can think of. He has never hurt me physically but I'm much more aware and careful now and I never say anymore that he never would. Unpredictable, especially when things aren't going his way.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

Mine was never diagnosed by a physician as he won't see anyone and can be quite a charmer when he is faced with someone who can diagnose him.

However, over the years I have diagnosed him myself. Every time there is a new diagnosis for some personality disorder, bipolarity, he fits it. Drug companies and doctors do this to keep pushing drugs and lining thier pockets. Same with mental disorders in children. It gives justification to "naughtiness" in adults and children. I just attended a seminar on this, I'm not just spewing BS. Very, Very, sad.

Bottomline, my thought is, my A is a jerk. I love him dearly but regardless of his "diagnosis" or whatever crutch a doctor may give him in the future to make him feel validated and sorry for himself in the way he behaves, he is still a jerk even sober. I'm tired of trying to figure him out when he doesn't care anyway.

Can you tell I'm irritated and unsympathetic towards him today?

Sorry for my rant. I kept it shorter than what was in my head. Carry on......