aloha! New here. My 24yr friend is killing herself

Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

aloha! New here. My 24yr friend is killing herself

Aloha all,

I have a friend who will be 25 in a few weeks. She has had a very rough couple of years and has gone through addiction to xanax and alcohol, and has had multiple intense treatments and programs to clean her up which have failed. She has had full support from family for the whole process to help her, but at this point they are now the ones providing her with her death (vodka) each night. She drinks alot every night to the point where I can talk to her the next day and she doesn't remember talking to me because she was in blackout mode.

I live a ways away from her and do not quite understand what she is going through; I believe anyone can overcome anything and see no reason why she can't 'fix' herself so to speak, not saying that it will be easy, and I realize I am nieve in this area as an optimist. I promised her I would read up and educate myself on her situation and I am glad I found this place. This seems to be a very popping place with alot of information for me to uncover and understand what she's going through and what I can do as a friend.

She just kills me, she is literally killing herself and doctors give her bad news on every test they run on her and tell her she will not live much longer on this path. Shes young, very attractive, and just a few years ago was starting college and on a path to a very bright and hopeful future.

I look forward to reading through the information here, and just wanted to pop in and say aloha

Brian from Hawaii
Old 06-11-2007, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR Brian.

There are two really great books that will give you a better understanding of exactly what your friend is going through:

"Under The Influcence", and

"Beyond The INflucence"

Both are availabe at Amazon.com

I do believe this would be a good place for you to start.

J M H O

Again, Welcome to SR.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, brian. i have a 23 year old daughter who is an alcoholic/addict. alanon meetings really help me. blessings, your friend is lucky to have you - k
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

Hi Brian - welcome to SR. I agree with Laurie's reading suggestion....very eye opening for me. Keep reading, posting, and learning...
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Brian. You're in a good place to learn the ABC's of alcoholism as well as the codependency most of us suffer from as a result of living with, being related to, or being good friends, with an addict.

If she could stop, she wouldn't be killing herself. For people who aren't alcoholics, it's difficult to comprehend why someone would be willing to literally die for a drink. For those who suffer from the disease, it's a living hell. Even people who are not addicted to alcohol often get addicted to just about anything and everything - overeating, binging/purging, working 80 hours a week, working out at a gym 7 days a week, complaining, raging, and like so many of us here - becoming addicted to the addict.

She can overcome her addiction, but in order to do so she has to take the steps to get into a detox/rehab program. Until she is ready to do that on her own steam, I'm afraid she'll just keep drinking.