The Trouble Tree

Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

The Trouble Tree

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, a rabbi took the people in his village to a big tree. He told them that this was the Trouble Tree and that they could hang their troubles on it. All the people unrolled their troubles from their bags. Some people's troubles were stuck to long strips of red and white cloth; those with little troubles sewed theirs to tiny squares of blue silk.

It took a long time for the villagers to hang up their troubles, and for a while, it looked as though there were too many troubles and not enough branches, but finally all the bags were empty and the tree looked like a liquid rainbow, it had so many colors on it, all swaying in the breeze.

The people of the village spent the day playing together, singing songs, eating, and talking. At the end of the day, the rabbi said, "We must go home now. Each of you must take a trouble from the tree. You can take the one you brought with you or you can take another person's trouble Whose trouble will you choose?"

"And what do you think the people did," the rabbi asked. "Everyone wanted the same trouble they brought with them. Nobody wanted to switch."

Earnest Hemmingway says that the world breaks everyone and some of us are strong in the broken places. The purpose of healing is to be strong in the broken places.

--From "When Food is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy" by Geneen Roth

We can't focus on healing ourselves and becoming strong in our broken places if we choose to focus on someone else's troubles.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Too right. But so often I avoided looking at my troubled places by focussing on other people's issues. It's so much easier to work out what is going on with someone else, than it is with me.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

AMEN, Minnie...
Old 06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Pain will make us stronger and grow only if we truly feel it and have the wisdom to learn the lessons. My AS brought me to my knees. I have grown and can handle it.
I am blessed in So many ways. I gladly accept my problems, face them and learn to deal.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only way to overcome our original pain--the pain that we've been ignoring our entire lives--is to accept it, stop fearing it, feel it, learn from it, grow stronger from it, then finally let it go.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Funny, I immediately thought I would take someone else's trouble when I read that. Is that true codie-ism or what?! (Or am I just a really nice person?) Or both?!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
The only way to overcome our original pain--the pain that we've been ignoring our entire lives--is to accept it, stop fearing it, feel it, learn from it, grow stronger from it, then finally let it go.
What can be difficult is, if I have spent years being who I "am" based on one or more pains, if I let it go, then who am I?

I could not have done this process on my own.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57 View Post
I could not have done this process on my own.
Neither could I, Denny.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Thank you for this post FD

We can't focus on healing ourselves and becoming strong in our broken places if we choose to focus on someone else's troubles.

Yes Denny what a process! I'm working on this now for the probably 2 or 3rd time but this time along with help it will be the last!