Medical stuff.....

Old 05-13-2003, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical stuff.....

I was just thinking yesterday about Squinty, and what things I can expect to happen to his health over the next year or so. He's getting drunk every night again--I mean as drunk as he can get--I don't know why he doesn't get alcohol poisoning.

He takes vitamins nearly everyday--as if that's going to make up for drinking his nourishment. He eats a good breakfast every morning--thanks to me. He fast foods lunch most of the time, and eats junk for supper, because he's "trying to lose weight", and hey chips & pepsi with whiskey is so much better for him!

Anyways--his face is beat red all the time--neck too. He has chronic diarrhea, and has had for about 3-5 years. When his brother died of a heart attack at 45 2 years ago, he had his heart checked, and it's good. Just wondered if anyone knows what other "things" I ought to be looking for.

Lyn
Old 05-13-2003, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((Lyn))))) Chips and Pepsi with whiskey - what a diet! LOL! Ugh, the thought of what they are doing to themselves is sickening, isn't it?

Well, Lyn, I'm sure you know that the long-term prognosis for chronic alcohol abuse is not good - no news to you, I'm sure. Alcohol abuse affects not only the heart and circulatory system, but also the liver and kidneys among other things. I believe the liver damage is the biggie, such as cirrhosis. They can also develop hypertension of the portal veins of the liver and what's called "varices" - varicose veins of the liver.

You shouldn't be the only one worrying about his health, but that's what addicts do - they push all this stuff away from their thoughts. They may entertain them momentarily, but don't want to dwell on them. (I feel safe saying this as I am a smoker, a nicotine addict.)

Chronic diarrhea can be due to liver dysfunction (note I did not say liver disease). Has your hubby had a physical recently, like in the past year? Men are notorious for avoiding the doctor. If he's unwilling to go, you could always have a word with his doctor in private - they won't tell you any of his personal information (or rather they're not supposed to) but you can tell the doctor your concerns. Maybe if your hubby is reluctant to go for a check-up, the doctor's office could call him in saying it's time for his yearly physical - they should protect the fact that you talked to his doctor if you ask. A simple blood test called liver function tests (LFTs) will show elevated values if his liver is being affected. With a family history of early heart disease, it's all the more important for him to go. His doctor will know best how to help him, IF he is willing.

Ultimately, you can't make him go, nor can you force feed him or take the bottle away.

I really hope I haven't scared you, Lyn, but it's good to be informed. You can get more information from a web search too - try "health effects+alcohol" or something like that.

BTW - I love it that you have adopted Smoke's term, "Squinty"

Last edited by margo; 05-13-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

****{Lyn}}}

I honestly don't know if there is other things you should be looking for. My hubby has so many health problems that half the time when things happened I just thought they were related to that. He goes to the doctor quite often so I guess everything is okay for him, mental issues are a whole other story for my hubby.

I am sure there could be resources out there that might tell you what to look for but I would think that the bottom line is, you can't prevent things from happening.

You take care of yourself.

Many hugs,
Debbie

PS The squinty term make me smile too
Old 05-13-2003, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Lyn,

I swear we are married to the same man!!! Mine is on a 30 day non-alcohol kick to see if he can get rid of his stomach problems aka chronic diarrhea! I have been praying that his stomach will be substantially better and he will decide that he should just quit drinking. Wishful thinking, but he is over a week into it! Mine is also trying to loose weight, but can't figure out why he doesn't.....wings and beer don't constitute diet food. Neither does 1/2 dozen doughnut after a 12 pack!

and Barbiedeb, mine has TONS of mental issue that I thing are seperate from the addiction!

Sorry I really didn't have any REAL advice, just letting ya know your not alone!!!

Constant
Old 05-13-2003, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I hadn't even thought about his indigestion, too--constant. He won't go to a doctor, even for a broken foot. He only went to have his heart checked after his brother died, because another brother called him everyday until he did.

I like the name "Squinty" too--it makes me chuckle. But seriously, it helps me keep him in proper perspective--kind of like the fact that I use to put him on a pedestal (Wizard of Oz), and then he fell off, and now I picture him as the helpless man behind the curtain. Hard to realize he didn't hang the moon, but at least when he cuts me down, I can better take it with a grain of salt. Oh, mine has mental issues too! As my daughter once said--alcohol destroys brain cells, and you don't get to pick which ones it destroys!

When Squinty lays off of alcohol for 2 days, his face isn't as red--what causes the red face?

Thanks again,
Lyn
Old 05-14-2003, 04:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really don't know, but if I had to guess I would say his blood pressure. Alcohol can make your blook pressure increase. I have seen people that some alcohol made them flush but other didn't, kind of like an alergic reaction.

Have a great day!!
Constant
Old 05-14-2003, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi again Lyn - blood pressure doesn't usually have any symptoms - that's why it's called a "silent" disease. I think Constant has a good theory with the flushing being due to a physical allergic-type reaction, especially as it goes away when he lays off for a couple of days.

Again, best bet would be for him to see a doctor, but as you said, that ain't likely to happen - MEN!
Old 05-14-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Yeah well.... then there is Ward. Chronic diarrhea, indigestion, blood pressure. The last two he is on meds for.

I work in our doctor's office and I know his LFT's are elevated. And there is something else about the blood cells being enlarged (for lack of a better word). Our PA asked if he drank and "Socially" was Wards response. Trust me...labs don't lie.

Ward is a big guy and he snores so badly I go to the guest room more times than not. The drinking and the weight are big contributors to snoring. He works constuction and he thinks that is all the exercise he needs. I ask him to go for walks with me and he usually (scratch that...always) has an excuse.

He tries to get me to have his scripts filled all the time w/o going in for a check up and more times than not he is successful. I told him once...reguarding his blood pressure...that if he had a stroke it would be his own fault and I would put him in a home!

Drinking until you are drunk every night is bound to take a toll on your health.

Hugs,
JT
Old 05-15-2003, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husbend usually throws up after his 2,000th beer or drink of the day.....it's amazing that they still keep on going......