# 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Days of Healing-May 7

I pitied him in blindness;
But can I boast, I see?
Perhaps there walks a spirit
Close by, who pities me.
----Harry Kemp

We have been told often enough that love is the glue that holds the world together. In one way or another we all are pursuing love as quickly and with as much creativity as we can. But love is an extremley elusive reality.
Adult children often reach for the wrong "love pot". We tend to be strongly drawn to the idea that being needed is the only way we will be accepeted. If to be needed is the bottom line, we reason, then we surely must surround ourselves with those who need us. Thus we tend to become very involved with those we pity; there needs are so great.
Love and pity are NOT the same thing. Our love pots will not be filled by desperate people who will grasp at any help they can get.

----
I'm leaving to tell the difference between love and pity. I am not my loved one's savior...
Old 05-07-2003, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Maybe those dependent on pity from others can't truely love, they can't grasp the concept of not being able to rely on a partner for everything. Can they understand love if they don't know how to give back and to be relied upon by someone else? Are we really helping those we pity by giving in? Are we helping those unfortunate by pitying them? By leaving them dependent once again? Can we understand love if we are dependent upon pitying someone else? Love is a mutual connection. Not one is better than the other. So how can we rid of pity? Maybe just helping the less fortunate...together...? Are they really less fortunate than me? Was I not there before? How did I recover....working together with those who held no form of pity, those who had been through the same as me, by working together and passing on my experience...

Sound familiar?