Language of Letting Go - May 5

Old 05-05-2007, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 5

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Control

Many of us have been trying to keep the whole world in orbit with sheer and forceful application of mental energy.

What happens if we let go, if we stop trying to keep the world orbiting and just let it whirl? It'll keep right on whirling. It'll stay right on track with no help from us. And we'll be free and relaxed enough to enjoy our place on it.

Control is an illusion, especially the kind of control we've been trying to exert. In fact, controlling gives other people, events, and diseases, such as alcoholism, control over us. Whatever we try to control does have control over our life and us.

I have given this control to many things and people in my life. I have never gotten the results I wanted from controlling or trying to control people. What I received for my efforts is an unmanageable life, whether that unmanageability was inside me or in external events.

In recovery, we make a trade off. We trade a life that we have tried to control, and we receive in return something better - a life that is manageable.

Today, I will exchange a controlled life for one that is manageable.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Control is an illusion, especially the kind of control we've been trying to exert. In fact, controlling gives other people, events, and diseases, such as alcoholism, control over us. Whatever we try to control does have control over our life and us.
I remember when I first discovered this, early in my recovery. My sponsor explained it to me saying that when I try to control my son, I am giving him all the power. If he does what I want, I am happy and if he doesn't, I am angry. His behaviour determined my emotions. In trying to control him, I gave him the power over how I felt.

Control really is an illusion, we cannot control anything except our own behaviour, the rest is not ours to control.

I need this reminder today and often. I am powerless over others...I am powerless over others...

Hugs
Old 05-05-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

thanks ann, what a reminder, though i think i may have remembered a little late this morning, then again, maybe not.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

In recovery, we make a trade off. We trade a life that we have tried to control, and we receive in return something better - a life that is manageable.

This has been a wonderful trade off! I find the serenity is so powerful that when it is the slightest bit shaken, I take a personal inventory and move to get back on track. I just love the peace and contentment I have found in letting go and letting God and I am in awe of how much it has surrounded me with happiness and positive people and events.