Notices

Darvocet addiction

Old 05-06-2003, 08:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Darvocet addiction

I am in desperate need of some help and guidance. I have been addicted to Darvocet for 5 yrs and I really need to quit but I'm afraid too. I dont know what to expect to happen and when it does how will I deal with it. Can anyone give me an estimate of how many days I will be feeling like I'm dying before it will start to get better. Is there anyway to help control the withdrawal. I would love to hear from someone who has been there or is there with me now. Its ruining my life and I need to stop
Old 05-06-2003, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi KJS,

Welcome to the recovery forums. I am a drug addict but have not had experience with pain meds. I do know that the detox is pretty harsh and it is advised to come off of the drug under a doctors care. Detoxing from opiates have also been known to cause some very serious side effects. I don't know if you have considered a treatment faciliy or a detox center for a few days but it may be a good alternative. I did it after trying myself and i have to say, I wish I did it to begin with.

Until someone comes along with some direct experience with this particular drug, I would recommend looking in this forum, the narcotics Anonymous forums, and doing a search for pain meds or opiates so you can read what others have gone through.

Please take care and let us know how you are.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello KJS,

I'm not sure how long the physical withdrawls will last, they may even depend on the individual. I have abused Darvocet among the other pain meds I became addicted to. My physical withdrawls (shakes, sweats, anxiety, insomnia, high blood pressure, naseau) lasted roughly 4 or 5 days. The depression and craving for the drug went along for about a few weeks. But again, it might be different for everyone and how long they have used, the dose, and so forth. Your physician would know better than anyone on what to do and might be able to prescribe you some meds for the withdrawls. I wish you the best of luck
Old 05-07-2003, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Well its another day and I'm sitting here trying to convince myself why its ok to pick up that bottle of Darvocet again today. Its so easy to say I'll start tomorrow. I'm sure I'm kidding myself thinking I should do it this weekend when my husband is home with me but will it really be better or am I trying to buy some time. My husband has no idea I have this problem because I do have alot of pain from 3 previous shoulder surgeries so he doesnt think anything of me taking pain meds all the time. Its so easy to get sucked into the addiction you dont even realize you're doing it. I just recently moved to FL from IL so I dont even have a physician right now otherwise I would consider seeing one. With moving and all the stress of it all it makes it even easier to pick up the bottle. I am determined to stop and I hoping now that I have found this sight this will give me some strength to do it. At least I dont feel so alone. It sure isnt anything I can admit to my family.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally posted by kjs1998
I just recently moved to FL from IL so I dont even have a physician right now otherwise I would consider seeing one. With moving and all the stress of it all it makes it even easier to pick up the bottle. I am determined to stop and I hoping now that I have found this sight this will give me some strength to do it. At least I dont feel so alone. It sure isnt anything I can admit to my family.
I don't have direct experience either,except in the sense that I am fairly familiar with heavy duty pain meds from having cared for my son's father.He died recently from lung cancer.

I do strongly feel that your first move should be to find a good physician to help you with this.It isn't something you should have to do alone.You may feel reluctant to face a doctor with this problem.But believe me,most docs would rather treat a patient who is honest and wants help, than to have to deal with one who is scheming for narcotics.

Keep posting here and let us know how you are doing.You may also want to check out the Narcotics Anonymous forum.There is a lot of good support to be found on this site.

phoenix
Old 05-07-2003, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello KJS,

I can totally relate. Convincing myself with all false reasons why it would be okay to pick up that bottle of pain meds and just quit the next day, which never happened. In my opinion you are just buying time waiting for the weekend when your husband is home. I would do many things similar to your situation. I would go a few days without using for the reason that I could use more on the days that I did use OR save up pills by doing less and double or triple dosing sometime later. I personally enjoyed using pain meds after a hard days work, at night by myself. It let me forget all the ******** of the day and just relax my mind. So many times I would save up my pills until the night so I could get wasted. Are you exceeding the dose when you wait for the weekend? If not, maybe my "drug addict mind" thinking was a bit different. It will always be easier to "pick up the bottle", in any situation. That is what makes us addicts. I agree with Phoenix, it would be a good idea to go seek a physician before the addiction grows. Good luck
Old 05-07-2003, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

You dont realize your excuses are not unique till you hear other people say the same thing you were thinking. I do exceed the recommended dose daily. It doesnt help matter that I'm not working right now so there is more idle time to be obsessed with it. I cant believe those pills are constantly on my mind. When I go somewhere its like I have a panic attack if I think I left them behind. I just know if I try today or tomorrow I will relapse right away. My husband is off fri-sun so I plan on stopping on Friday. I really need someone around me so I can focus on something other that those pills. I did try to call a dr today for a complete physical but being a new patient in a new town its hard to get in right away. They require a well checkup before they will see you on an urgent basis. I will try this alone and if it gets to be too much then I will go to the ER for help till I can get to the dr. Its pathetic to think we get this way. I feel antisocial when I dont take the pills. Does that have something to do with the dependency on them. I just dont feel like a nice person without the help of the drugs. Please someone tell me when I get over them I will feel "normal" I want to be able to socialize again without the drugs.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally posted by kjs1998
Please someone tell me when I get over them I will feel "normal" I want to be able to socialize again without the drugs.
Life in recovery can be better that you can imagine.Put one foot in front of the other and don't give up before the miracle happens.

Keep posting...we are here for you and you don't have to do this alone.

phoenix
Old 05-12-2003, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi,
I know a little about pain pill addiction, 1) I take them, and 2) I was in a relationship w/ someone that had a 4 year/ 15+ per day addiction to Vicodin. She tried so many times to quit but could not and ultimately went into a methadone clinic. For some extreme cases that is the best answer, however, it is BY NO MEANS an end to addiction because most people that go on it end up having to stay on it for life (as a maintenance drug) because it is sooooo hard to get off it. So I would not recoment that route. The clinics make you go thru so much BS, basically they have you over a barrel, you can't miss doses of that stuff. The only positive is you only take it once per day. The negative is form most it is a lifelong commitment, quite a hefty ball and chain.
Anyway, I have been to alot of forums about pain pill addiction. Pain pill addiction is a bit more than other addictions because they cause a chemical change in the brain and it in most cases it is not just a matter of saying "OK I'm qutiing this stuff" and then going cold turkey. It is a battle on all fronts - mental and physical and I don't know which is worse. Outside professional, medical help is a good idea. At one forum someone posted a recipe of a few combination of (non-addictive) drugs that help with the physical withdrawal. As for the mental, your best defense is to first truely hate the stuff (it will be that much harder to quit if you like it). Also, throw yourself into other things that can keep your mind busy. Talking to people going thru it also helps. Here is another forum I like: http://www.medhelp.org/
click on forums and then substance abuse. Lots of people going tru pain pill addiction and lots of great support.
Best,
-T