Notices

My name is Tyler, and I guess I AM and Addict afterall

Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

My name is Tyler, and I guess I AM and Addict afterall

Awhile back I posted a thread about how I didn't like the label "addict". I had a "problem", but it didn't define me.

Well, I think the evidence is pretty conclusive, I am an addict. I still dont' like labels, but I guess I qualify whether I want to or not.

I have one day, today, and I have a plan. I have more than enough resourses available to me, I just have to use them to help me. I will probably attend some 12-step meetings for fellowship purposes, and we'll see where it goes from there. I still have many "issues" with the program, but I'm sure there are things it can offer me if I just "take what I need and leave the rest behind".

I mostly post in the Secular Connections and Substance Abuse forums, but I just wanted to say "hi" here too. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
Awhile back I posted a thread about how I didn't like the label "addict". I had a "problem", but it didn't define me.
I'm in no position to give advice, but that reminded me of a Jay Leno show, just last week. Guests were Paul Touttle and Paul Jr - of "American Chopper" fame. At one point Jay kind of delicately referred to Paul once having a "Drinking Problem"...
Paul, with a wink, shot back: "No, Jay - I never had a drinking problem, that part was EASY. The problem I had was NOT drinking!"

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep coming back, tyler - recovery is possible. one day is great. i'm glad you have a plan. a plan helps. blessings, k
Old 05-01-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

hi tyler...

i hope your meetings go well! the fellowship of AA helped get me sober, doing the work is helping me stay sober. do you think you're going to go to NA, or AA? i went to a few NA meetings, but i realized that my main problem is the alco-ma-hol. yep.

anyway, good luck, and nice quotes!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
PDX

Hi Tyler,
I also have a plan to stop drinking today. It was my plan yesterday as well, but I couldn't make it work. However, yesterday was also the first time that I new about this resource. I have high now that there are folks to share with. I hope your plan goes well today, and tomorrow, and ... Take care.
--
PDX
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PDX - if you like, and if veteran members think it's a good idea, you and I could stay in touch for a bit, perhaps? I, too, am just starting my life over again (going through the first days, yet again). Perhaps even the fact that I once spent a few years growing up in Portland, back in the early 60's, could give us a bit of commonality. (It was in the SE area, around 60th and Woodstock - apparently a bit of a rough part of the city nowadays, but a nice place for a kid way back then.

OF COURSE, if others think Newbies "hanging out" is a mistake, I will defer to their advice.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

((((Tyler))))

This is Vic! AKA Luckyv2! It is so so good to see ya my friend. One thing is Tyler that we don't have to like it, but we have to be willing enough to just do it! There are many things that I don't like but I try not to focus on those things and focus on what is good.

You know Tyler that many of us struggle here and out there. I am an addict and today I am grateful for that for it lets me know that I now have a answer to my Problems. I do go to both AA and NA, however I have much desire to see NA continue to grow. I love both fellowships. But the fellowship alone isn't enough for this Addict

Vic finally had to get honest about what was going on and still today I find that really hard to do at times. The last few days I have been in a real funk! The reason being is that I have been lonely. I promised myself that I would stay away from relationships with the opposite sex for at least a year. I want so bad sometimes to have someone to hold. However I also know what usually happens when it doesn't work out. In about 3 more weeks Vic will have his One Year of being TOTALLY CLEAN> I haven't done that since I joined SR, nor have I been able to accomplish it since April 16, 2004.

Today I am so grateful for the NA Program, for the steps, the sponsorship, and for being allowed to choose my own HP and when people try to force other stuff on me, I tell them that it is my choice to have what I want and what works for me. Grateful that you are here Tyler keep posting and keep having that open-mind.

With Love and Respect

Vic
Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tyler, if it helps at all, no one likes the label, so try not to think of it as a label. Rather it is a handy descriptor for a compilation of character traits and issues that cause you problems in your life! Ok, its a label.

Welcome to the path to recovery.

Levi
Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tangled up in blue

Yeah, nobody likes a label. It makes people feel reduced to mere words. I'm glad that you are discovering more about yourself.

Good luck with your recovery.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone!!

Good to see you Vic, glad you're doing well!! Comming up on a year?! That's awsome, I remember alot of your dark times, it's great to see you pulling through them.

I met with my theripist today. The biggest thing I need to do it "keep it simple". Just don't use, and there won't be a problem. Easy, right?!! Perhaps, not so much!! I guess it is and it isn't. I always overcomplicate things. The 12-steps may or may not be my path to recovery, but if nothing else I need to "take what I need and leave the rest behind."

I have great support here, as well as my family. The only person who has issues believing in me, is me. Maybe with some success, I can start to believe more in myself. Thanks for listening all.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here, Tyler.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

How about "Recovering Addict" that sounds much better!!!

Cathy
Old 05-01-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That was the biggest hurdle for me, too, Tyler. Once I finally "got it," though, I could start to really do something about it. There is a lot to be said for acceptance. For me, when I hit surrender and acceptace, things got way, way, WAY better.

I am proud of you, my friend.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Do they label people that are diabetics or people with
Parkansons(SP) or Thyroids, or MS? These are just a
drop of diseases that people have in the world today.

We, alcoholic and addicts also have a disease...
Addictions, alcoholism...its a disease....and just like
all the other diseases that take away life daily....so
does ours.

Isnt it awesome for us with our diseases all we have to
do is go to meetings which dont costs us an arm and
a leg...we get free coffee and snacks.....we dont have to
be hooked up to machines....all we do is follow
a 12 step recovery program....and all we do is reach out and
help another recovering members by sharing our own
experiences, strengths and hopes with them...

How awesome is that.....

Just dont drink, dont use and go to meetings....

SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE
Old 05-01-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

(((((tyler)))))) glad you made it back and its good to see you.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tyler,
I used to get SO offended if anyone even suggested that I might be an alcoholic. I hated that word. Finally, I figured out that if I stop running away from the word and just accepted it, I made a LOT of progress in dealing with my "drinking a little too much every once in a while." When I stopped focusing on the word "alcoholic" so much, I was able to see that it is just a word. Even if there was no word for our condition, it was plain to me that I was living a life of insanity. As they say "actions speak louder than words."
I think you've made a big step by getting beyond the word and coming to terms with your problem.