Notices

New here

Old 04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

I am a recovering alcoholic with 18 months sobriety. Although I have not attended an AA meeting yet and have been doing this with the help of my wife and children, I feel the time has come for a more impartial support group. I wouldn't consider myself shy, but more of a person that takes some time to warm up to people I do not know.

I think this is part of the reason I have yet to attend a meeting. Then again maybe I'm just afraid to admit my addiction to strangers face to face. Whatever the reason, I guess maybe in some way I feel that an online group of people would in some way maybe help to prepare me for the face to face meetings.

My wife has been on another site for a few months now and is very happy that she is able to share with others who understand. I see sometimes how the people on the site can help her and I guess I now am ready to start seeking help and support that is outside my family.

Looking forward to meeting new people and sharing anything I can that may help someone else as well as myself.

That's all for now, thanks for listening.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jozran,
Congratulations on the 18 months !
For a variety of reasons I find this forum much better than I would meeting strangers face to face...I've been here a week and it really has been the best week of my life...I think you'll find a lot of good people here, a lot of non-judgmental support, and a lot to take away and think about !

see you round
D
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Jozran, congratulations on 18 months. I think you are wise to not rest on your laurels and are seeking support to help you maintain your sobriety.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
10.gif (19.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR jozran,
I haven't gone to any meetings either. I'm not saying I won't in the future if I need to. I have found this site to be enough for me right now. Tons of help and encouragement and whatever you're needing at any time. I may not post a lot, but I sure do read, and I've learned more about myself than Dr. Phil could tell me about me. Congrats on the 18 months!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jozran!
congratulations! I am new too! In fact this is my first post. In the few days browsing this site, I find it helpfull! I am sober 76 days, and am going to AA meetings. Anything to stay sober for me! All the best!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who replied. I feel welcome already. Looking forward to many shares in the future.

Have a great day!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jozran,

Welcome!

SR is my lifeline and has been for a long time. The people here understand and it is a very comfortable feeling. You will find lots of support here, so keep posting and reading.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

How about one more welcome jozran, I had reached a point of drinking in my garage by myself in the last few years of my drinking, AA in my mind was a bunch of losers sitting in little rooms crying "Woe is me, I can not drink anymore"!

Man was I wrong, we AA folks are out of our gourds but sober!!! In the short 6+ months I have been in AA I have gained more REAL friends then I ever had in my first 52 years of life. I have found the rooms to be full of sober alcoholics that love nothing more then helping other alcoholics get and stay sober.

In AA sobriety is but a beginning, by working the steps of AA I have become a far happier and better person then I have been in my entire life, getting sober is just a beginning, staying sober is easy once you feel better about your self, it is contagious, suddenly your whole family likes you better and friends are asking what is different about you.

Go to some meetings and just sit in the very back and say nothing, just listen.

Keep in mind to not listen for the differences you have with the folks, listen for the things you have similar to them. I find it very interesting to watch a lawyer, an ex-con, a retired minister, and a construction worker together talking and laughing.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi jozran..glad you are here. Big congrats on 18 months. That is great!
Keep it up and keep postin.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Girl Interupted

Welcome jozran,
Congrats on your 18 months! That is awesome. You've come to the right
place for support.
Just remember, you are not alone in this.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

18 months is fantastic! Keep posting and stay sober, jozran! blessings, k
Old 04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jozran - and congratulations on your sober time.

This site is a very big part of my recovery - and I go to AA meetings which really help me. I'm pretty shy too, so it was uncomfortable in the beginning going to meetings - but people are very welcoming, and didn't push me to share anything.

I'm glad you're here.

Rowan
Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by jozran View Post
I am a recovering alcoholic with 18 months sobriety. Although I have not attended an AA meeting yet and have been doing this with the help of my wife and children, I feel the time has come for a more impartial support group. I wouldn't consider myself shy, but more of a person that takes some time to warm up to people I do not know.

I think this is part of the reason I have yet to attend a meeting. Then again maybe I'm just afraid to admit my addiction to strangers face to face. Whatever the reason, I guess maybe in some way I feel that an online group of people would in some way maybe help to prepare me for the face to face meetings.

My wife has been on another site for a few months now and is very happy that she is able to share with others who understand. I see sometimes how the people on the site can help her and I guess I now am ready to start seeking help and support that is outside my family.

Looking forward to meeting new people and sharing anything I can that may help someone else as well as myself.

That's all for now, thanks for listening.
Joz,

It's amazing you've been sober for 18 months without any formal support of any kind. Your family must love you very much. You are so lucky.

Yes, the support here will help you through the transition to face-to-face support. I myself have not known anything but face-to-face support since I got sober some time ago. I found this site about two months ago. I'm very grateful too, because I continue to use all the support available to me.

Stick around, you will here very diverse stories of our struggles and successes. You will also hear many, and I mean many, opinion regarding ways to continue your sobriety. I urge you to see guidance from within to determine the best course of action. There are many ways to lead a happy, serene, and peaceful life through continued sobriety. What works for one may not work for another. I will say this...your network of support must be very strong. It must be available 24x7. And you must believe in it from the bottom of your heart.

Your friend in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome Jozran.....Congratulations on you 18 months, that is spectacular!!!!

I am not saying you are wrong in not attending AA meetings, recovery is different for everyone. I would only suggest that you might go to one meeting...to let the newcomers know that sobriety is possible. It is so important for people struggling to get one day/hour/minute to see recovery in action. That, of course, is your choice, and it doesn't make you a bad person if you choose not to attend, after all, you are here and we need you too!!!!

Great Job...Cathy
Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome . . .

I can understand your reluctance to go to a meeting in what salesmen would refer to as a "cold call."

I had the same feelings a long time ago, and I sort of "said to the Universe" that I "wanted to see a certain person right away" (he and I had worked together five years before).

I was sitting in an Alano Club (which is run by sober alcoholics and rents space to AA meetings but is not affiliated beyond that relationship), but I hadn't been to a meeting yet even though I hadn't had a drink in around ten days . . .

Less than ten minutes later, that person walked through the door . . .

Yeah, I know it's hokey and unbelievable, but after giving me a good ribbing (he didn't have that much sobriety himself), he took me to a First Step meeting.

In a few months, that'll be 27 years ago . . .

Anyway, I have a good friend--sober longer that I am--who's in your neck of the woods, and I'd be happy to put you in contact with him. Feel free to PM me, and I'll leave it up to you . . .

CC1
Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Lurker

Welcome Jozran, Glad to hear about another famally man being sober. I am so glad I got off the juice before I really did something stupider. My children deserved a lot better then what I was giving. Noe thanks to my higher power I can give it to them.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you once again to all who have responded to me! My wife has been attending alanon meetings right near our house and after some checking I found that they have an AA meeting for beginners there on Tuesday nights. I do believe that this will be my first meeting. My wife said she would attend with me to ease the nervousness as well as her own desire to continue to seek help and understanding.

Still so much to learn about myself and what had been going on for far too long.

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome and thanks again. It is truly amazing to me the amount of support and well wishes I have recieved here in just a few days.

Thank you!

Jozran
Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jozran and WELCOME!!!!

Congrats on your sober time....that is awesome!! Let us know how the meeting goes!

~HUGS!~ Liss
Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well folks, I did it! Went to my first AA meeting last nite, it was great! After only about 10 minutes in I realized that I was sitting in a room with a group of people just like me. Wow!

The nervousness and any concerns I felt about feeling like an outsider were gone and it felt like I had known some of these people for a while. Normally it takes me a while to feel comfortable talking to new people, this time was so much different. It felt good. Looking forward to the next meeting.

Off to work, just wanted to share and thank you all again for your support in the short time I have been here. Have a great day all!

jozran
Old 04-18-2007, 06:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i feel the same way at my alanon meetings, jozran. i'm glad you had such a great experience. blessings, k