more on the Oprah show....what's missing

Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

more on the Oprah show....what's missing

I just read the comments that everyone had from the Oprah show. I thought that it was a "quickie" companion to the well-done HBO series.

I think that the series has left out an entire "supplementary" show though and it's all about how the "anon" side recovers and what recovery looks like for us and the various ways that we get it. It bothered me so much that I contacted the "TV JUNKIE" guy who made his own documentary and told him my idea and guess what!?! He wrote me back and we are going to talk about where this might go. He is looking for a new project and was extremely interested.

I'll keep you posted if anything comes of it. Also - there is hope - he used crack for 20 years and now has 7 years of recovery!

Donna
Old 04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

what? leave it to you to think of that. i didn't get to watch the show, i don't get hbo yet, but i'm sure that it was an interesting show and it would be really interesting to see a show about the loves ones who are left to suffer.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Oh wow!! That is SOOO Awesome!! Good for you!! So we might be seeing some of YOU on Oprah!! LOL, that would be the bomb!!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is great. I really hope that something comes of it. I had contacted the Oprah show a couple of months ago about doing a show about the families of addicts but I did not hear anything from her. I hope it happens. Marle
Old 04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sweeeet
Old 04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just wrote to Oprah, too. Maybe if a bunch of do, she'll read it? hahaha
Who is the tv junkie guy? Not familiar with him.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

LOL, I did too!!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SecretMom -

The "TV JUNKIE" guy is Rick Kirkham. He worked for Inside Edition for a number of years as a senior reporter. He used crack for about 20 years. He lost all of his jobs and his marriage over his drug use. He chronicled his years of addiction on film and then made a documentary. It's included in the HBO series. He has 7 years clean now.....

I think that someone needs to do something on what families need in conjunction with all of this. I went to a workshop on relapse prevention today. The Center for Chemical Dependency in Charlotte sponsored it and had their annual luncheon. It was awesome. The relapse counselor that RAH sees was the keynote speaker and conducted the workshop. She talked about the stages of recovery and how imperative family education/knowledge is in the "stabilization" phase and also "early" recovery. Wish that I could have taped the thing - I was spell bound for 3 hours! She talked alot about core issues, what is a relapse, what relapse dynamic is, etc. Fascinating! She agrees that something needs to be "documented" to help to support families.

Wouldn't it be exciting if there was more available to the public that would support this side of the street?

Here's hoping! Donna
Old 04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post
Wouldn't it be exciting if there was more available to the public that would support this side of the street?
Here's hoping! Donna
Hoping AND praying here! Thx so much Donna!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post
SecretMom -

The "TV JUNKIE" guy is Rick Kirkham. He worked for Inside Edition for a number of years as a senior reporter. He used crack for about 20 years. He lost all of his jobs and his marriage over his drug use. He chronicled his years of addiction on film and then made a documentary. It's included in the HBO series. He has 7 years clean now.....

I think that someone needs to do something on what families need in conjunction with all of this. I went to a workshop on relapse prevention today. The Center for Chemical Dependency in Charlotte sponsored it and had their annual luncheon. It was awesome. The relapse counselor that RAH sees was the keynote speaker and conducted the workshop. She talked about the stages of recovery and how imperative family education/knowledge is in the "stabilization" phase and also "early" recovery. Wish that I could have taped the thing - I was spell bound for 3 hours! She talked alot about core issues, what is a relapse, what relapse dynamic is, etc. Fascinating! She agrees that something needs to be "documented" to help to support families.

Here's hoping! Donna
When I was in treatment for my ed, we had Mandatory "Family Week", when I first went I was like Yea right, I'm so NOT doing that, my parents are divorced, different states, they hate each other, and the last thing they are going to do is come here for 7 days, (Or am I) and deal with my e.d...

Little did I know... I don't know how the counselors did it, but my family did come, it was a Major part of the treatment the families had 7 days of 10 hour therapy, they got there "Own" counselors, had there own classes, most was done seperate from us, and then at certain points we'd all meet up.. They had as much support as we did for the week they were there..

We were also taught how our disorders affected them... Most intense week of my life. My parents loved it. They didn't want to do it, they thought they were going to get blamed for a week, but it was not like that at all.
They learned all about me, themselves, recovery, relapse, etc. It was really great... I was really happy they got to experience that. They actually stayed in the same places as we eventually ended up staying in the end of our treatment, lol, that was pretty funny..
Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good for you - i liked that *tv junkies* documentary the most of all the ones i saw - a group of us from our kids support group are getting together this sunday to watch the oprah show together...

i will tell them of your idea and have them email oprah - if what they say is true and 1 out of 4 families is affected by addiction the family support would be so beneficial for so many - good job...

love,
s
Old 04-11-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Awesome idea! I hope it happens!

Originally Posted by itiswhatitis... View Post
if what they say is true and 1 out of 4 families is affected by addiction the family support would be so beneficial for so many - good job..
When I 'went public' about EXAH and our lives, I found out that my Pastor has a meth addicted sister; my physician has an addicted brother; several folks in my sunday school class have addicted or alcoholic family members, and three are recovering addicts themselves.

I couldn't believe it! All those years I thought I was alone.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by itiswhatitis... View Post
good for you - i liked that *tv junkies* documentary the most of all the ones i saw - a group of us from our kids support group are getting together this sunday to watch the oprah show together...

i will tell them of your idea and have them email oprah - if what they say is true and 1 out of 4 families is affected by addiction the family support would be so beneficial for so many - good job...

love,
s
lol, can't wait to hear what you all think of the show!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by duet_4-8 View Post

I couldn't believe it! All those years I thought I was alone.

Ughh, I know right.. I thought the same thing. I thought, omg,
I must be the biggest idiot in the world to have done this
to myself, "I know better"...... That was the worst part..
I've never hated myself more then when I dialed my dealer
again and again, I was supposed to be able to handle
Anything.... lol...

I hate scars, and I used to say to myself well if you do this
you have to cut, bad enough to scar yourself. What's your
choice....
I felt like the biggest freak :saroll: in the world... There's no one
as crazy as I am... It's such a horrible life to live that way..
I do not miss that..
Old 04-12-2007, 10:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think Oprah has enough buck to get us all there!

Rose
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I have so much to say about this.... but am not going to.

btw of course there is hope, you don't need to talk to the tv junkie, simply look around here! Ooops I did say something. Glad I don't watch tv anymore

Kevin
Old 04-13-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

nogard -

you are right - there is always hope. As Friends/Family of abusers it seems - a lot of time - like that success is an elusive thread. We strive to hear of anyone that has long term sobriety. There are so many success stories out there but many of us are living in situations where the miracle has not happened yet. It's not a problem to look around here and find support. It's a matter of taking the message out to the still suffering family member. That's all I was saying in the first place. We need help in getting our message out there as well. There is a lot of focus right now on the addict but the family is a huge piece of this.

It is many faces - one journey. Each of the "faces" needs to have their story told. That's all that I was saying.

Donna
Old 04-13-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree Lightseeker. I come from a small community but there are many AA and NA meetings in my area, but not one anon meeting anywhere closer than 80 miles away on a Sunday night at 8 o'clock. That is why I come here for hope and to read of others successes. I have also done individual therapy. And I watch everything I can about addiction because I want to understand. Marle
Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That is great! keep us posted if anything exciting happens
Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
On a tear

Excellent!

My path through recovery has been very much about learning how my obsession and compulsive behavior around my meth addicted daughter very much mirrors the behaviors of an active addict.

Many of my postings to newbies on this forum is my effort to try and draw attention to our similarities... in part to alleviate that debilitating hatred some of us come in here carrying.

I am on a committee for a retreat that has been going on for over ten years, and whose sole purpose is draw together women of all recovery programs, primarily AA and Alanon.

Finding a venue to spotlight not only the pain of the famililes associated with an addict, but also our recovery and the similarities between the two conditions (addiction and codependency) is excellent good!

I look forward to any information/enlightenment this can bring forth.

Thank you, Lightseeker. ((hugs))