Notices

Hi all!, new here. Just trying to make it through each day

Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all!, new here. Just trying to make it through each day

Hello!

My name is Lisa. searched the net for a good chat site and this one looked pretty sweeeet!

a bit about my addictions ...

I have always been addicted to something all my life. wether it be smoking, drinking, pills and meds. Im now drug free. But the drinking is the one that is the hardest. I have done around 9 detox's over the last 3 years. Went into a rehab programm for a while too.

But drinking is the one that has really nailed me!
I developed bad anxiety that turned into agoraphobia. had cognetive behavioural therapy for a year and I have finally mastered it! although there are still times I have to BREATH to just make it through the horrible feelings sometimes.

My drinking was as bad as 2 40oz of straight vodka per day to as little as drinking only once a week. If I drink for 3 days straight I get the withdrawal symptoms that are so bad that I drink again to get rid of them.

When I get too drunk I can hallucinate, hear voices and I basically feel like I am going insane!!!!

I have had child services around for a while. I actually almost lost my children too. But thank God I managed to get clean and sober and they returned after 5 weeks.

I have lost many friends over the years as they just didnt understand why i kept on drinking. I tried counselling .... but that made the drinking worse (reliving past bad experiances)

Oh blah blah I can ramble. anyway I just hope there are others out there that can relate to me or at least understand how I feel.

I look forward to getting to know members

Take care all!

Lisa
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Lisa..Glad you are here.
This is a great board for support and information. And plenty here that can relate. Hope you stick around. People will be along soon.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
100.gif (22.2 KB, 58 views)
Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to Sober Recovery. I'm Rowan, and I'm an alcoholic/pill addict - I'm glad you're here, and that you got your children back.
Wonderful people here at SR - I hope you stick around!

Rowan

Last edited by Rowan; 02-05-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up wow!

hi thanks for the replies. I have been browsing through this place and WOW! do you know how much of a comfort it is to find others that feel like I feel???

The not wanting to get out of bed. fretting so much about detox you drink more, oh the list goes on.]

I just want to say thanks to the people that created this place. Maybe in here I will find the inspiration to get sober and clean.

Lisa
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to SR,

I can relate to being addicted to everything...Anything I like I have done in excess.

This forum is very comforting to come to. Here you will meet true friends, people who really care about your wellbeing...

Keep posting and we are glad you are here.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome misslisa.......i'm glad you found sr...you will definately find inspiration and hope on this board......i do every day......thank you for posting....you will inspire others with your honesty....
Old 04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI Lisa. Welcome. I really relate to your feelings of anxiety. I too have a sever problem with that. I have been drinking for 30 years and was addicted to zanax for over 10. When ever I tried to stop I didnt want to leave the house either. Because of my problems with anxiety it was really hard for me to even imagine quitting. It has been a long rough road, but I am slowly getting better and I am glad to hear you a re feeling better as well. Forgive my ignorance, but I doint know anything about cognitive behavioral therapy. Do you think you could tell us a little about it. I go to therapy weekly, but dont really feel like it helps. Maybe I need to try a different approach.
Thanks
Beth
Old 04-11-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by misslisa View Post
Hello!

My name is Lisa. searched the net for a good chat site and this one looked pretty sweeeet!

a bit about my addictions ...

I have always been addicted to something all my life. wether it be smoking, drinking, pills and meds. Im now drug free. But the drinking is the one that is the hardest. I have done around 9 detox's over the last 3 years. Went into a rehab programm for a while too.

But drinking is the one that has really nailed me!
I developed bad anxiety that turned into agoraphobia. had cognetive behavioural therapy for a year and I have finally mastered it! although there are still times I have to BREATH to just make it through the horrible feelings sometimes.

My drinking was as bad as 2 40oz of straight vodka per day to as little as drinking only once a week. If I drink for 3 days straight I get the withdrawal symptoms that are so bad that I drink again to get rid of them.

When I get too drunk I can hallucinate, hear voices and I basically feel like I am going insane!!!!

I have had child services around for a while. I actually almost lost my children too. But thank God I managed to get clean and sober and they returned after 5 weeks.

I have lost many friends over the years as they just didnt understand why i kept on drinking. I tried counselling .... but that made the drinking worse (reliving past bad experiances)

Oh blah blah I can ramble. anyway I just hope there are others out there that can relate to me or at least understand how I feel.

I look forward to getting to know members

Take care all!

Lisa
Well Lisa,

I bet you didn't know you have a compatriot from NZ on this site. Her user name is Pilgrim. You are sooooo in the right place. We will love you, comfort you, cry with you, and occasionally kick your a** when you're whining too much. Ha!!

Seriously, if you are honest, openminded, and willing you have a chance to recover. Welcome to SR!!!! I suppose it's around 7:50 AM there right now. I think you are 15 hours ahead of Central time in the US. So...it's the beginning of a new day for you. What are you going to do in order to change your life today? Well, just make a decision to stick around here, cough up the garbage of your life, and put it in a sack for the rubbish men to pick up.

We're with you Lisa, and we'd love to be your friends,

Your friend in sobriety,
steady eddie
Old 04-11-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

cognetive behavioural therapy is where they change your thinking. For example I had a bad experiance at a shopping mall where I felt my heart start pumping hard and fast, then I got a bit dizzy and all i thought was that I was having a heart attack and was going to die! I proceeded to run out of the store and no one could have stopped me! I sat in my car and felt like I was going mad! My therapist at the time decided to explore all of that and asked me to prove i was having a heart attack! all i said was it felt like it! she then brought out scientific proof that during anxiety attacks your blood pressure increases ... hence not going to faint. the heart pumping is the fight or flight response and you become quite indestructable. oh this is hard to explain. But anyway i soon learned to talk to myself and when I got in that horrid place of panic. i would say
"these are just symptoms of anxiety, it will pass"
" I am not going crazy I just have a wee bit too much adrenaline in my system that will soon go away"
i also learnt that i had to slow my breathing and I would breath in for the count of 3 then out for the count of 5. .. i actually did that for relaxation as well as retraining my breathing ... apparently those that suffer from anxiety breath too much and almost hypoventalate all the time!

anxiety treatment is very similar to anger management. We learn to calm ourselves and stay in a state of relaxation so that if an event happens that triggers us we are already in a state of relaxation so we dont escalate to far out of control...

hope that helped.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Lisa, wow do I ever know what you are saying.. I've stayed drunk forever because I was an alcoholic...No one ever dealt with fears and torment I had ...Nope never had withdrawal..but been drinking for 35 years..I felt guilty in AA cause I couldnt live up to there standards--which reminded me of what I grew up in--rigid.........DONT TREAT ME LIKE **** AND HOLLER I LOVE YOU.......and then turn your back on me..........Anyway didnt mean to be negative-------but when we do it right it will be for us...........lol
Old 04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome to SR lisa---this is a good place to spill your guts and then get a hug---we are all here to support eachother---and vent ---i am a vicodin addict, that drank whein i had pills--but i have no desire to drink and get drunk if i am not taking a vicodin with about 5 shots of tequila---but my desire for pills is always there...we post alot on the moms thread---there are other wonderful threads but if you are a parent--we help eachother out with advice on our children and we also check on one another. so you are more than welcome to join us there we would love to have you---don't be afraid to post your feelings sad- happy -scared whatever---we are here to help--looking forward to seeing more of you---this place has been a huge help in my recovery--i hope it is for you as well!!!
hugs to ya

jackie
Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
believer

welcome. This is indeed an amazing place to see people who hurt and manage to find peace when it seemed unobtainable.
I know the anxiety your talking about. You feel a turbulence inside you like your going to explode, it's like your heart is pumping too much blood .And everybody seems to know what you're thinking. Addiction affects the balance of a soul as we all know. Everything is out of control. Anxiety can be a manifestation of the destruction or guilt or lack of self-love we have in us. Being sober is the search for that balance.
Myself, i seem to have "had" a self-destructive personality for most of my life, a different type of addiction of most people here, cuz i did things that caused pain in different moments in time.7 days ago i came to this board. Believe it or not it changed my life. i am not the same man, i think it will change your life too if you want it.
We're all in the same boat, and I guess somebody who gets sober after a problem understands life better than somebody who was sober all the time....Its a beautiful journey

welcome
Old 04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Misslisa,

A big Kiwi welcome to SR!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa, thank you for sharing! And welcome to SR, you found a great place to hang out on the net. Take it one day at a time girl, you can do this!! Keep coming back
Old 04-11-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi Lisa...welcome..this is a great place for support, friendship and comfort from people who really do know how you feel. I am glad you found us!!1

Cathy
Old 04-11-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa!
I am so like you.
So many of us are.
Echo on the mom's thread.
Don't go away -- we want to get to know you better.
Much love,
CS
Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome and very glad you are seeking help for your addiction.

~B
Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa!

This is the best place on the internet. Stick around!

Jane
Old 04-12-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, misslisa! blessings, k
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Golfman View Post
Well Lisa,

I bet you didn't know you have a compatriot from NZ on this site. Her user name is Pilgrim.
I know being an Aussie, I'm only a pretend Kiwi but I'm here a couple of times a day, so I'll see you round...feel free to mail/mssg me or whatever too

peace
D