new

Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new

hi everyone. I'm new here, i've been reading posts for a while and thought i'd introduce myself.

I'm Monica - i come from a long line of addiction, my mom, step dad, sister and husband.

Right now i'm dealing with the AH.. he was fired from his job in Dec, went on a drinking binge, blacked out and lost a few days.. didn't know at all what happened.

He was in detox/rehab in Feb .. the ins only paid for a week of each. he came home and started outpatient and lasted two weeks before he relapsed.

He is now back in rehab and the ins wants to kick him out tomorrow after only 10 days of rehab.

i'm anxious to have him home again. i am afraid he'll relapse again. I will find out tomorrow if the ins will pay for more days.

anyone had to deal with insurance issues? How can we get them to pay for the help he so desperately needs??

I'm also starting to think my sister is using again as well.

I am looking into going to some alanon meetings but have not gone yet. I know that I need to work on myself too.

I'm looking forward to posting here.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi monica, i've had no experience with insurance companies, so i have no advice or answers, but i wanted to welcome you. i look forward to hearing more from you
Old 04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for the welcome!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My AH's rehab pushes Sober Living Environments (SLE's) after rehab is over as a transition before returning to completely "normal life" at home. I'm sure there are success and failure stories of both, and I don't think ins. pays for it, but it's probably less costly than relapse, another stay at rehab or continued addiction and loss of job, life, etc.

At this point I am open to him doing that if he thinks he needs it after rehab. I imagine him here now and I just don't see him as equipped for dealing with a bunch of banshee kids, house/yard pressures, work, etc. without falling back into his old non-coping patterns. He may surprise me and be able to do it and work his program 100% (self-discipline has never been his strong suit). However, if he wants to go to an SLE I'd be in support of that extra reinforcement of structure and discipline for a while so he can internalize it for longer.

Just something I heard of - 2 cents worth.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, It is a pleasure to meet you.

I dont know anything about rehabs/insurance but wanted to welcome you to SR. Check out the stickies at the top ... some good reading there, and Al-anon would really help you out with this.

I look forward to getting to know you, hang in there and remember your not alone in this.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, it's very nice to meet you! glad you found us, keep posting - k
Old 04-03-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH was suppose to stay in rehab for 28 days but the insurance company would only pay for 21 days. I think the insurance company thought he was "cured." Go figure. He got out on the 23rd of March. Have yet to hear from him. Go figure.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oops, hit the wrong key. Wanted to say welcome to the board.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
cmc

Monica,
I'm just posting here to say "hello" and how glad I am you decided to reach out and share your story with us. I strongly recommend Alanon meetings and hope you will continue to come here and post as much as you need to.
I'm sorry for what has brought you here and as you can tell from the replies you have received already- there are lots of us here who care and understand.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ICU

Welcome to SR! I love when people have been reading here for awhile, and then decide to join in! We're glad to have you here with us.

I too don't have any experience to share with insurance companies, but I'm sure that others that do will come along shortly.

Alanon has been very helpful to many. I'm glad to see that you are looking into it.

I don't know if you've found the stickies at the top of the forum yet or not, but if you haven't, I highly recommend reading through them. Great info and insights!

Again, welcome to SR!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really don't know if I have any advice but I wanted to say welcome! I need to go to alanon too but we dont have one in our town.
When my husband was in rehab we had two insurance companies, so we were kind of blessed that way.
I was thinking maybe your family doctor could help out somehow, if you call him and tell him? I think if it is what the dr says is necessary and the substance abuse counselors maybe that will help get him more days inpatient ? Is your insurance through your employer? Maybe you have an EAP you could call to help?
Sorry, I dont know if that is advice or help at all but I am racking my brains
Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

About 15 years ago when I was in rehab the insurance tried to do the same thing to me. My doctors and therapists became my advocates and basically fought for my treatment. They dealt with the insurance company and got them to approve more time, treatment, etc. I remember having to do this many times, having to justify that I was worth their time and money. It's infuriating, but that is how the system works. Maybe your doctor or the doctors and therapists at the facility can help you in this.

Good luck.

-K
Old 04-03-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome---I would respond but you don't even want to get me started about insurance companies!!!UGH!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for such a warm welcome!

Well, the ins gave him until Saturday now and according to his counselor thats probably it for the inpatient. They will let him to about 2 months of 3x a week for outpatient.

the ins is through my employer and i work for them so they treat their employees no better than any one else who has to deal with ins issues!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

well, that's great that he will be able to continue with outpatient! blessings, k
Old 04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Monica! Most good treatment programs have payment plans, so if insurance is not willing to pay for longer stay, he may be able to work out some sort of an arrangement, where he covers a small portion of the bill each month. Check into that.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went threw every dime I had paying for rehabs for my AS and the one that finally clicked was the outpatient clinic that was free---go figure??