Notices

One Promise But Many Gifts

Old 03-30-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Post One Promise But Many Gifts

Narcotics Anonymous has only one promise

"Narcotics Anonymous offers only one promise and that is freedom from active addiction, the solution that eluded us for so long." Pg 102
My name is Vic and I am a addict! Probably dang lucky to be here clean tonight that is for sure. Through the fellowship of NA, through working the Steps, reading the literature, going to meetings, and a lot of acceptance, I haven't found it necessary to use since May 25, 2006 and for that this addict is very grateful.

Because of you people I have been able to stay clean for a little over 10 months now and probably with a little bit of Luck in there also.

This last 10 days or so haven't been easy on me at all. I have had a huge amount of stress, feelings, emotions, that have literally taken everything out of me. My sponsor as most know has had a huge amount of medical problems which started a week ago Wednesday I believe it was on the 21st of March and is still going on today.

On that night he called me in the evening saying that he had collapsed. He said that the ambulance was there. I told him that I would be right over and he said no Vic and I said that nothing would stop me from going over there. As I rushed to his house with the emergency blinkers going and honking the horn through the intersections and lights. I got there as they were trying to get him stable. With everything that they did they took him to the hospital. That night the injected a huge amount of morphine to help ease the pain in which they had him down for cardiac arrest. The doses of morphine that they were giving him were not working.....reason? Drugs quit working for him 28 years ago that is how long he has been clean and sober.

Going to the emergency room and not being family he told them that I was allowed in there. I sat with him for a few hours watching him suffer. I was helpless again. With not only his breathing messed up his heart pressure was 200/140 which I guess isn't good. They took him into to have a cat scan done and then I went home for the evening. Before the took him he gave me his keys and his wallet and told me to hold on to them and then reached out and said "Vic, you are a good man..." Of course I thought that he was going to die right there and then.

The next day he had a flight for life to a town that is 200 plus miles away or at least it take 3 1/2 hours to drive. The did more test on him and said that there was nothing that they could do for him. Then the following two days they sent him back on a ambulance ride that cost him cash of $800.00. He got back here and was admitted into the hospital here. He stayed there for the time that was allowed for him through his insurance which was a week but during that week he has no memory of anything....flash backs once in a while to things I have never heard but I did listen closely.

Then he was put into a aided living to rehabilitate himself so he could go home and agreed upon that. This was 2 days ago on Wednesday. He doesn't remember anything really...and today he had called saying that he was going home. I spent many hours with him but he has no memory of anything. Not even now after we took him to the doctor and then took him to the aided living to pick up his stuff as I was leaving he said that he wasn't allowed to leave after the doctor just told him he would like for him to stay however he will let him go home. I got there early today and I asked him....Did I come and see you yesterday? He said no....I said that I took him to the doctor and then I took him home....He was like speechless....

So as this terrific and trying week has came to an end...and he is home ALIVE....I say that through everything that is and did happen that I really did want to run from the emotions and feelings that I was having...however I remembered what it was like a little over 10 months ago and I knew that wasn't even part of the solution....I have called so many people, I have asked people to come over and sit with me, I have done praying and good thoughts out....and the one thing that I more thing that I didn't do ................I DIDN'T USE NO MATTER WHAT.......That Promise has been given to this addict....The gifts is that we are all alive that we have a solution today together and that we can do this deal together....but alone we have no hope.....

Thank my HP that today...not only have I have lost the obsession to use but I have the obsession to stay clean...and like my signature says.....

"JUST FOR TODAY WE NEVER HAVE TO USE AGAIN'

Thanks for keeping me clean....

With love and respect

Vic
Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((vic))) ... keep pass'n it on man...

all good wishes, and give only love...

xxoo, pattee
Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your recovery Vic.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

You are always full of wisdom and hope. I always enjoy your posts.
You are a good man from what I can tell here. My thoughts are with you.