Notices

new here...

Old 03-22-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Emmi

new here...

well, hi my name is Emmi and I'm 16 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school and my passions all fall into the arts. I "Googled" a forum for addiction recovery and this site was the first on the list that came up. I guess I should really start off with my story so I think I'll do that. I don't really have a lot of knowledge of addiction and recovery because well one, I don't even know if I was addicted and two, I just told my mom about me doing drugs last night (3/21/07). I guess you're all probably saying...how could she not know if she's addicted or not? Well, first off my uncle is an addict and so I've seen him basically all my life high and/or drunk. And well I know for sure that I was never like him, him being my only example of "addiction." I started experimenting with cocaine and alcohol summer of 2006 with some friends of mine in Jersey. I right away liked the high I got from the cocaine and started to use it almost every few weekends or so. In the last 3 months or so I began to snort on a weekly basis, but that all quickly changed into an "every-chance-i-got" basis. last night i was talking with my best friend who basically said that if i don't ask for help she'll ask for me...meaning she would get our school involved (school always makes everything worse). so i agreed to tell my mom. i don't really think i was addicted to coke but i feel as if that if i had let it get out of control then i would really be addicted. i don't know how to feel or what to feel right now...im very confused and i would like to hear what you guys might have to say.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi emmi,
my addiction is alcohol but some one will be here soon with similar experiences to yourself. One thing I do know though no matter what form our addiction takes, is the fact that if we dont use in the first place then we can face life on lifes terms and in doing so be totaly in control of our destiny.
Youve found the courage to confide in your mom and your seeking help here, I feel sure that with those to assets behind you , then you can start walking with us on the road of recovery.

I wish you well.

chris
Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Emmi and Welcome,

Only you can decide if you are an addict or not. It does sound like things are escalating rapidly and you are wise to be looking for help. I hope you take a look around and you'll find support and information.

Also, if you're interested here are some sites for teens:

http://www.12stepforums.net/teens.html
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=42762
http://www.12stepforums.net/chatroom4.html
Old 03-22-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think your courage & honesty is AWESOME!!!

I reflect back to being 16 myself, and wish I had spoken up like you.

Instead, I went on drinking and using for almost another 25 yrs.

Just how ridiculous is that? But, I was not ready. Hope you are.

Do what you are doing now, TAKE ACTION!! Have an open mind.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

Emmi,

Welcome. Not a single person here can diagnose you as an addict. There are many stories about people who are just hard drinkers, hard users, hard anything. There are some who when given a sufficient reason to quit...say health, job, marriage, etc., can put aside the drug of choice never to touch it again.

Then there are those who can't. My suggestion would be to leave it alone for six months or a year. If you find that you can't then you may have a problem. I do admire your courage and honesty. Not many young people would have done what you've done. Even if it was "with a little help from your friend."

I pray that you will find the answers you're looking for. Please stick around and see if you identify with anything that others say.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Emmi, and a big welcome to you..

I admire your willingness to come forward and talk to us here.. Keep posting and we are glad you are here...
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Lots of Experience, Strength, and Hope here.

I started experimenting with cocaine and alcohol summer of 2006 with some friends of mine in Jersey. I right away liked the high I got from the cocaine and started to use it almost every few weekends or so. In the last 3 months or so I began to snort on a weekly basis, but that all quickly changed into an "every-chance-i-got" basis.
That is the PROGRESSION of Addiction and/or Alcoholism. More, more, more. As Ed said, only you can decide if you are an addict or not. Check out some of the forums on Sober Recovery especially those for Substance Abuse and the 12 step Narcotics forum. Read the STICKY'S at the tops of the forums. Some really great information there.

May I suggest you also go back and read your post, as if someone else, another person had written it, and see if you think that person has a problem.

This too can be a great help in deciding if we are an addict or not.

That was really great that you told your mom, nd even better that you are reaching out on this web site for additonal help!!!!!!!

Keep posting, ask questions, let us know how you are doing we do care!

Love and hugs,
Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Emmi...I'm sure all of us here started with alcohol...partying with friends when we were way too young to drink legally. It was fun...it was exciting...even with the barfing and hangovers. Other than pot, fortunately there were no "street drugs" available when I was your age...or I might very well be asking myself the same questions you are right now.

It took me 32 years...progressively drinking more and more...until I was forced to take a good hard look at myself and where the alcohol was leading me. The very fact that you are wondering whether or not you are/were addicted to coke should be a great big warning sign. Listen to your gut and your best friend (who obviously sees the changes in you).

Since your "passions all fall into the arts", you can be so much more productive without having your brain and creativity stunted by alcohol and/or drug use. Let your passions be your "natural high"!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Emmi!

Wow how brave you are to come forward. Trusting in your mom shows how strong you to admit you think you might have a problem. As everyone else said only you can decide whether it is an addicition.

When I was in high school I started experimenting with Pot, which in college lead to LSD, mushrooms and anything that would get me hallucinating. Luckily I had an eye opener that stopped me from blowing college and going down the raod to other drugs and more problems. I stopped using drugs.

But I turned to alcohol as an adult, and faced up to the fact that I have an addictive personality and can not drink either. It is so easy to run away from life and medicate thoughts, feelings, problems. But it doesn't solve the underlaying issue.

I hope you can look at why you wanted to by high and maybe the answers to those questions will help you discover whether you were just doing it to feel the high, or if there are things you are avoiding?

Either way, everyone here is very supportive and I wish you so much luck. I wouldn't have been able to get through the last 12 days without a drink if it wasn't for this group and there kind thoughs and encouragement.

Keep on keeping on!!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hiya Emmi! I love your name!

Well girl, it's sounds as if you've been on the road to sheer misery. Put your car in reverse now and head back to where you started and take a different road.
I'm so happy that your friend has intervened. The road you've been on leads straight to hell and you do not get to collect $200!

You are so young and have a great future ahead of you, IF you choose to take advatage of it. I wish you the best. Hang in there and take all of the advice that you can get fron this forum.
Hugs!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Very nice to meet you, Emmi. I'm a mom of a 22 year old daughter, recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. She started using alcohol at about your age, and added coke to the mix about a year or so ago. Cocaine took her down fast.

I hope you'll find some answers and support here and through your family.

Recovery is possible. Blessings, K
Old 03-23-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emmi_em View Post
well, hi my name is Emmi and I'm 16 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school and my passions all fall into the arts. I "Googled" a forum for addiction recovery and this site was the first on the list that came up. I guess I should really start off with my story so I think I'll do that. I don't really have a lot of knowledge of addiction and recovery because well one, I don't even know if I was addicted and two, I just told my mom about me doing drugs last night (3/21/07). I guess you're all probably saying...how could she not know if she's addicted or not? Well, first off my uncle is an addict and so I've seen him basically all my life high and/or drunk. And well I know for sure that I was never like him, him being my only example of "addiction." I started experimenting with cocaine and alcohol summer of 2006 with some friends of mine in Jersey. I right away liked the high I got from the cocaine and started to use it almost every few weekends or so. In the last 3 months or so I began to snort on a weekly basis, but that all quickly changed into an "every-chance-i-got" basis. last night i was talking with my best friend who basically said that if i don't ask for help she'll ask for me...meaning she would get our school involved (school always makes everything worse). so i agreed to tell my mom. i don't really think i was addicted to coke but i feel as if that if i had let it get out of control then i would really be addicted. i don't know how to feel or what to feel right now...im very confused and i would like to hear what you guys might have to say.

Well, I would say for you to re-read your first post back to yourself and notice the progression of your cocaine usage. It reads like a steamroller. Did it once. Then immediately wanted more. Did it every other weekend. Then every week. And now,...whenever you get the chance to. Does that sound like its not out of control yet? Id say it definitely is out of control. The things that havent happened yet are the consequences. Alot of addicts think that since they havent had any consequences yet, then they dont have a problem. Wouldnt it be nice if the alcoholics out there who have killed people drinking and driving would have noticed their problem BEFORE they killed those people? You dont have to "need" these consequences. You have the rare opportunity to fix this now,...before you have had any big, negative back-lashes to your use. I say do not let it pass you by. Think of it this way,...even if you arent an addict,......cocaine is majorly illegal. If you should even get caught carrying it or using it,....how ashamed in the eyes of your parents,...your grandparents,...yourself,....would you be? Not to mention how destroying it will be to your future. All for what? A high? Not worth it. Not in the least.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i think it's great that you are 16 and reaching out for help already.......
Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Emmi, many wiser heads than mine here but I just wanted to say hi and welcome. Don't know if you're an addict or not, only you can decide. I know, that aint a great help and you were probably looking for something a little more concrete but the other s are right you got to figure this one out for yourself. what I do know is that I was 17 when I walked into and out of AA for the first time, I heard a lot of similar things about having to work it out for myself. The people in the groups were amazing, but it threw me because these guys n girls had stories like nothing I'd ever heard, at 17 I'd raised quite a bit of hell but nothing to compare, not even close. At the time I felt too young and and totally underqualified to be an addict - 12 years later and guess what? yup that's right I've got a stories just like theirs now, more than enough to qualify.

Emmi I think the others have given you some great advice. Whichever way this thing works for you, you are so brave. Just do me a favour, if you do decide you belong here stick around longer than I did ok. Great to hear from you.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Emmi,

Bless that friend of yours and bless your heart for seeking help. If you want to stop and find you are unable to stop, this is the place to come for advice. There is a way to get out of this. Addiction can take over so quickly - no matter what age we are. Welcome and stay close.