What do you say to an addict in treatment?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you say to an addict in treatment?

I will visit my AS in a treatment facility on Sunday. It will be my first visit to the see him in the facility since he was admitted last Friday. What do I say? What is supportive? What is counter-productive? How can I be myself and not ask the wrong questions?

How do I "Let go, and let God?"

Thanks to all who have responded to my posts. I know I have plenty of questions and appreciate your time and concern.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

letting go & letting God ,to me is not giving up on your son but letting him & his God handle his problem of addiction.it is hard when it is our children.for me not to get involved with his recovery i do not ask questions.i listen to my a.s. talk.i usually know what i am wanting to know by what he says. take baby steps & know we are here for you.hope your visit goes good.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i agree with hope, you'll be ok, and he'll probably want to do most of the talking anyway. glad to hear that he's doing ok,too. still praying for you and your family.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Give him all the love and support you would want if it were you.
Try not to be negative.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I think the most important thing is to remember nothing you can say or do will stop his recovery path if he is truly working his program.

Try to remember to breathe, relax and if you feel like you said something that wasn't the best thing to say, maybe you could ask "I want to be supportive, if that statement wasn't supportive, then please disregard" or "I have some questions, but please feel free to stop me if you don't feel right answering them at this time"

When I visited my daughter in rehab, she did most of the talking. She was just glad to have a family member visit her. Also wanted to introduce me to her new friends that didn't have a family member present that day.

Hope everything goes well.

Rita
Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i've found that the most supportive thing i can do for my daughter in recovery is just be a real attentive and non-judging listener. blessings, k
Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my as was in treatment last year. i agree with anvil, treat him for what he is, sick. our first visit went well. however, i will caution you that there were several children who didnt have good first visits, resentments. the counselors told me it wasnt all that unuusal on the first visit but generally improved 100% by the second. just thought you might want to prepare yourself for either reaction
take care

lake time
Old 03-15-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On a tear

I love you. I am glad you are getting help.

Hey... did you hear about.... the most recent family event... the most recent celebrity scandal.... the most recent weather phenomenom..... the most recent tv episode......?

Just like normal.

What *I* had to let go of .... was the response I received. It doesn't matter what they say, even in rehab. It matters what they do.

Enjoy!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been to many rehab visits. Some have been good, some have been downright awful - sometimes it was all my fault, sometimes she loved me and wanted a hug. Keep in mind that you know the truth of the situation, didn't cause it, can't cure it, can't control it. Don't take anything that is said personally! Recovery is a process, for us as well as them.
I hope you have a good reunion.
jeepgirl