Getting EXTREMELY religious after rehab, and CRAZY

Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Getting EXTREMELY religious after rehab, and CRAZY

Someone in my life had been abusing perscription drugs for years. Predominantly oxies. Finally went to rehab. Now has become crazily religious and is experiencing servere mental unstability. Here are some quick examples off the top of my head: Believes he sees visions, Hears and sees things others don't, has become paranoid that someone is after him at times, seems to get confused, is often saying that others just don't understand, believes his bible is the "only bible", believes a "friend" in his support group is the devil, is not eating well or sleeping, reads the bible constantly, asking if he has done something wrong, believes he has done something wrong and has to fix it immediately, etc... Is any of this some what normal? I know I sound crazy for asking that question. But do people go through some mental problems after finally getiing sober?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe he still sees the couselor that he now calls spiritual advisor, his wife is planning to talk to her tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I have had people say the same about me but they were in a state of totally exaggerating things greatly. Religious vigor when those around us are not religious has had people say things just as you have posted about many people.

Now if you are not exaggerating and he is doing all you say... Well I am not a Dr but his behaviors look just like a guy I know who is bipolar when he is off his meds. If such is the case... he should have a talk with a Dr and be checked out.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I myself am religious. I do know many people turn to religion after addiction. I was wondering if there is a period where people go to extremes before getting a grasp on the reality that they have been missing for years. I personally believe he has a serious mental disorder, (don't believe he is bipolar) I am no psychiatrist, but know crazy when I see it. I was wondering if it is somewhat common to become, what I believe to be delusional. I think he believes he is profit and has special powers. Looking at him at times he looks scary, "he gets the crazy look", that puts a pit in my stomach, and afraid to make eye contact. He is not violent, but it still is scary. Can being sober make a person who hasn't been sober in years go crazy? (Hate to keep saying crazy, but use it for lack of a better word.)
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Has anyone one had any similar situations. This is so much on my mind. To see someone you care about struggle through addiction and now this.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My AD is bipolar, and uses heroin to self-medicate. Perhaps other mental illnesses are masked in the same way. I don't think getting sober alone will make you crazy.
jeep
Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If they have definately stopped using mind altering substances, I would say thgis is not "normal" Howeever, sounds pretty normal for a drug addict in active addiction.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
grateful rca

welcome to sr, glad you found us, but hate the circumstance.

ok, i agree with best on both points.

my family said the same thing about me, when i first got clean, i believe that i had a spiritual awakening, and reading my bible and praying took on a whole new meaning for me and i wanted everyone to know what i felt inside. they thought that i was crazy too, all of a sudden, all i wanted to talk about was my new found spirituality, to the extreme, maybe, but as time went on, my family excepted what i had become, and eventually found that it was not crazy at all, it was part of what worked for me to help me to stay sober.

don't know about the paranoia part, but i have been know to see visions and hear that still small voice from within. don't know if its uncommon for others but it was part of what saved my life and still is. its a good thing that the wife is seeing the doctor. i will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Angry

I thought I would give an update. First, to make it quite clear, I don't care if someone is extremely religious, that isn't crazy. When someone thinks God is talking to him and interprets the bible in very strange ways (like interpreting footnotes, thinking they have special meanings), just for one small example. Now he is getting messages from the TV and ineternet, hearing voices and just generally making no sense. Needless to say he is now in the mental ward of the hospital and seems to be getting worse. We are hoping this is something temperary, but hard to tell at this point. And OF COURSE no one at the hopital seems to communicate with you or tell you anything. You don't talk to the Dr. you talk to a social worker, who if your lucky will call you back. If anyone has heard of anyone going crazy after drug addiction please let me know, any help is appriciated.l
Old 03-14-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry to hear this, i do think that he is in the right place, and i know how hard the not knowing can be. i know of a couple of people who maybe got a hold to some kind of bad drugs or that someone may have put something in there drink or something, and it damaged the brain, i guess that what it did, but i honestly don't know what happened.

they talk to themselves a lot and sometimes seem to carry on conversation with invisible people, god and the devil. seems to think that everyone is out to get them or extremely paranoid most of the time. never seem to make much sense. sorry. i agree with the others, time to take care of you, and allow the professionals to care for him. he's in good hands. praying for you and all of your family
Old 03-14-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

He is in the right place.
I am pretty unimpressed with the mental health profession tho others are not.

However, if he is hearing voices the TV is talking to him etc. that is usually associated with being severely psychotic.

Sorry you are going through this.