Notices

SOOO Scared

Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SOOO Scared

Hi all,

I started to post last night, and then got too scared to actually hit the "submit" button. Like, if it was in print it was real, and I have been trying to lie to myself for quite awhile now. Last night, I couldn't lie anymore. I finally hit rock bottom.

About me, I'm 31, married to a great guy, and have always been a pretty hard partier, but generally I kept it to the "normal" nights. Then I took a new job which allowed me considerable freedom, and I started drinking when I got home (3-ish). Then I just started working less. Then I just stopped working, and was either drunk or sleeping - with the aid of Ambien, Lunesta, and any other sleep pill I could get my hands on.

Last night I got, quite franky, trashed. Then I took a few Lunesta, woke up, and started drinking the drink I had made before the Lunesta knocked me out. I became so overwhelmingly sad, so I called my dad, who begged me to look into rehab. I called them last night, and they got me in for an eval today. Tomorrow I check in for a 3-5 day detox, and then go from there.

I am petrified. Scared isn't even an adequate description. What happens in detox? How will I handle it? I can't remember not going to bed without some liquor or meds. HOW WILL I HANDLE IT? I am scared of never being able to have a drink again, never be able to fall back on that crutch.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place; it looks like a wonderful place for support. And if anyone knows anything about detox, please let me know! I think I'm most scared about that...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are so brave to admit that you have a problem........i don't know what you can expect in rehab, but i do know that there will be someone along soon who will be able to tell you exactly what to expect.....

i want to welcome you to sr, and sobriety....and remember, no matter how afraid you are right now....you are taking steps to have a much better life......and you are stopping behavior that can be very dangerous, not to mention what it's doing to your body...

i'm 30, a mother of three and i also live in ohio...i didn't drink, pills were my problem........but thanks to this site i have more than 100 days clean and i feel really good.....most of the time....lol.....if i can do this, you can......my mother quit drinking after 40 years of drinking.......you can do this.....

don't be afraid.....it's only 3-5 days right now.....just take it one minute at a time......

good luck, sweetie...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by kermit75 View Post
Hi all,

I started to post last night, and then got too scared to actually hit the "submit" button. Like, if it was in print it was real, and I have been trying to lie to myself for quite awhile now. Last night, I couldn't lie anymore. I finally hit rock bottom.

About me, I'm 31, married to a great guy, and have always been a pretty hard partier, but generally I kept it to the "normal" nights. Then I took a new job which allowed me considerable freedom, and I started drinking when I got home (3-ish). Then I just started working less. Then I just stopped working, and was either drunk or sleeping - with the aid of Ambien, Lunesta, and any other sleep pill I could get my hands on.

Last night I got, quite franky, trashed. Then I took a few Lunesta, woke up, and started drinking the drink I had made before the Lunesta knocked me out. I became so overwhelmingly sad, so I called my dad, who begged me to look into rehab. I called them last night, and they got me in for an eval today. Tomorrow I check in for a 3-5 day detox, and then go from there.

I am petrified. Scared isn't even an adequate description. What happens in detox? How will I handle it? I can't remember not going to bed without some liquor or meds. HOW WILL I HANDLE IT? I am scared of never being able to have a drink again, never be able to fall back on that crutch.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place; it looks like a wonderful place for support. And if anyone knows anything about detox, please let me know! I think I'm most scared about that...

Kermit,

Welcome to SR! Everyone here will be happy to help you. Detox is really just giving your body time to filter out the alcohol. It's best done under the care of a doctor because sometimes, depending on the individual, there might physical discomfort that needs attention. We know you're scared. There are many here who have been through what you're going through. They will all testify that they survived.

Once you're out, come back here. We will give you suggestions as to how to work toward freedom from alcohol. But that's not all, we'll suggest ways that you can turn your life around and be happy, peaceful, joyous, and free. That may sound impossible right now, but don't worry, this is a process, not a quick fix.

We will move forward with you hand in hand. The only thing you should be thinking about right now is getting through detox and coming back with a desire to stop drinking. Not forever, just for today. Your fear will slip away and pretty soon you'll be helping others just like you. You are in our prayers.

Your in sobriety,
ED
Old 03-11-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you both so much for answering so quickly. I know I need to try to take this one day at a time, but it's so overwhelming. I appreciate the kind words more than you guys know.

And ayla, I have dabbled in pills as well. It never got to the point where it consumed me, but I think I have such an addictive personality that it easily could have. Well, I do have issues with sleeping pills, but I think that's more of an alcohol thing. I guess I'll find out.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome kermit, I am so glad you decided to get help. Golfmans post was right on the money. I am not going to lie and say the next few day will be easy, you will probably be pretty miserable.....alway remember that feeling, because you will never have to feel that way again!!!! I will be looking for your post in 5 days telling of your expereince in detox, and your new outlook about being clean and sober!!!

SRH
Old 03-11-2007, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is going to sound so cheesy, but I already feel better having posted and found this place! And ayla, I can't PM yet, but thank you so much. You guys will (hopefully) be seeing a lot more of me.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kermit, lots of support here. I would be scared if I were you as well but you know what is scarier, scarier is not getting help. Keep reading and posting here, we're all here to listen and help out where we can. I'm still pretty new but it's been this site that has kept me sane and sober for the last coupla weeks.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by kermit75 View Post
This is going to sound so cheesy, but I already feel better having posted and found this place! And ayla, I can't PM yet, but thank you so much. You guys will (hopefully) be seeing a lot more of me.

Not cheezy at all. We all feel the same way when we know we're not alone. Being with people who understand where you are is one of the nicest feelings you'll get. Come back in 5 days, you ain't seen nothin' yet!!

Hang in there lady, the best is yet to come!

Your friend,
Ed
Old 03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lol.....definately not cheesy........it's so great here........i'm really glad you are finding that it helps.......did you get my link?.....

gonna take the kiddos outside....but i'll be back...

hugs
ayla
Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and Congratulations!

You are about to begin a new healthy life!
Hugs
Old 03-11-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Kermit and a big welcome to you!

When I was in Rehab my fears were lifted. This is because my peers were JUST like me, searching for a life free from the bonds of addiction. I found that my peers had experienced many of the same things I had. I didn't feel alone.

I find that here is very comforting. You are never judged, and the people here take a real interest in you. They truly care about your wellbeing.

So, keep in touch with us. We are here for you.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ayla zaire View Post
lol.....definately not cheesy........it's so great here........i'm really glad you are finding that it helps.......did you get my link?.....

gonna take the kiddos outside....but i'll be back...

hugs
ayla

Sure did; I'm reading it now! Thank you all so much. You know, I'm terrified of what's going to happen the next few days, but all of the posts about how good they feel sober actually excites me enough to quiet the fear a little bit. I can't remember the last time I felt energetic or excited about...well...anything other than vodka.

Enjoy the nice Ohio weather while you can; not sure where you're located, but here in Cleveland it can be 50 one day and -20 the next!
Old 03-11-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just called the rehab place, and I can smoke in there! Woo hoo! I know it's an addiction as well, but the idea of going 5 days without a cigarette sounded awful.

Reading the "What to Expect" thread is amazing. Some of the side effects are pretty scary, but I just want to he healthier. I wish it were tomorrow morning already!
Old 03-11-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

trust me.....i know all about ohio weather.....hehe...i've lived here almost my whole life....i live near columbus.....it is beautiful out today...but i'm taking advantage of the family being out of the house to clean....well, i'm supposed to be cleaning...lol.....
Old 03-11-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Kermit,

A big hello to you and welcome.

I know the fear. It helps me if I write down my fears and the worst thing that could happen. Sometimes the worst thing isn't that bad. If it is bad and you can't handle it, at least you know and you can maybe take some actions to avoid it happening.

I have to go and do some work now but I will be keeping an eye out for how you get on. That Dad of yours sounds like someone who cares about you a lot. We do too.

Love,

Steph
Old 03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are all so freakin' awesome! I have spent the past four hours on this board, and my guess is that I'll be spending way more time once I get back.

The clinician told me to NOT cut out alcohol tonight, because the dangers associated with it are too high. So I'm sitting here, with all of my thoughts about getting sober, wondering if I should make a drink or try to make it. I know she knows better than me, but it sounds like a step back. Any thoughts?

And Steph, I am a "closet writer"; I don't ever show anyone what I write generally but LOVE it. It's so therapeutic; I am planning on bringing a journal to the facility so I can keep track of this journey. It's going to be hard, but I want to remember the bad times so I never have to do it again.

I don't know if I can say enough "thanks".

Jess
Old 03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jess, these boards are really addictive, I may need a support group to get me off here. I've only been here 2 weeks and I have already racked up more than 100 posts. But I have learned a ton and checking here daily really does keep me honest with myself.

Keep reading and posting. I'm looking forward to seeing back when you're done with detox.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi kermit . I never went to detox, so I can't answer any questions about that. I do consider this message board a great place to be for answers and support though... stick around.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hope3

Welcome kermit, look forward to getting to know you when you

get out of rehab...It will be fine..hope3
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Lurker

Wlecome kermit. I too never went to rehab. Guess at that point did not have the guts to admit to everyone that I had the problem. I just white knuckled it, and read this board alot. Good luck!! Sobroety is a wonderful thing.