Notices

New to this forum, but not SR

Old 03-10-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ICU

New to this forum, but not SR

Happy Saturday Afternoon everyone!

I have 2 questions about quitting smoking. I think maybe I'm looking for validation that I'm not weird, but who knows, perhaps I am!

Question 1: Has anyone eventually quit by weaning off smoking first (trying to smoke less and less over a period time before doing the patch or other treatment, then the final quit)?

Question 2: (Here's what I think is the weird part)....Does anyone want to smoke MORE, or, do you get STRONGER cravings when just READING about quitting smoking?

I swear, when I read different tips on how to quit...I want to smoke so right then and there. It feels like I'm better off 'not' reading about how to do it.

It may take me time to read through here due to what I stated above, so please bear with me if I don't respond right away, LOL!

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Welcome ICU...

Question 1: not me!
Question 2: I don't know if it was stronger urges; more of an anxiety for me. Though this last time, I don't think I've had the same anxiety as I've had at other times in my life.

Take care and blessings,
Jen
Old 03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Yes, the first time I quit (for 3+ years) I weaned down to a pack a day first.

To your second question, YES YES YES! I still do in fact.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Oh I can agree with 2. I would read like crazy about it then try to quit, but just reading would make me want to light up.
I did find quitsmokingonline to be the best help ever, but once I quit, I won't read about it any more!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ICU

Wow! Thanks...I don't feel so weird now. Maybe reading about it is something I should stay away from right now.

As far as the weaning goes, I'm down to an average of 7 per day from an average of 20+ per day. I've smoked for more than half my life, so I rationalize it that if bad habits take time to start, they should also take time to end (depending on the habit of course).

I'm paying attention to triggers (besides reading LOL) that make me want to smoke, and trying my best to deal with them as they come up. I'm also trying to be gentle with myself (which is something that's new to me as well).

I don't know if I'm kidding myself by doing it this way, but other methods have failed. Besides, I consider myself successful since cutting back more than 60% over the past year. I'm not 'there' (smoke-free) yet, but I'm more than well on my way. We'll see. One day at a time.

Thanks for your answers and support!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

ICU,
For me, success was mostly in my attitude. When I really wanted to quit; I was willing to do whatever it took to quit. I was tired of letting cigarettes control my life, my time. I was sick of seeing my daughter's pain when I smoked.... The "relief" I got from it wasn't worth it anymore. This was key for me. I made provisions for what to do when triggers came and when thoughts/desires to smoke hit. I totally changed everything I did and become consciously aware before I stopped smoking... That really helped because then I wasn't changing my behavior and stopping all at the same time.

Great choice on choosing to change your lifestyle. However it works for you, great!!! We all found what we needed to quit and stay quit. We still face challenges, but we hang together and support each other. That's what I really love about this site.

We're rooting for you ICU!!! We're here to help and support you. Whatever we can do, let us know!!!

Blessings and keep up the great work!!! 7 is way better than 8 and definitely better than 20!!!
Jen
Old 03-11-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Great start, ICU!!!
Keep it up and you WILL be a quitter too! LOL!

I could not step down. That never worked for me at all. Only made me want to smoke more as I was only focused on when the next cigarette would relieve my cravings!

But, I DO understand how reading can make you want more. In fact, it did so for me, too. I'm pretty sure it increased my anxiety. Kind of like a seperation anxiety, ya know. Just knowing I would miss the nicotine made me want it more. Sad but true, I'm afraid.

I look forward to getting to know you as you reach your goal of a smoke free life!

Today, I am One year, three months, one week, three days, 3 hours, 53 minutes and 8 seconds nicotine free. That's 18686 cigarettes not smoked, saving $5,138.78. Life saved: 9 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, 10 minutes.
Now, would someone tell me where all the money is?
LOL!

Shalom!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ICU

Thanks Jen and Historyteach!

I think the problem is that I really 'don't' want to quit, so in that respect, I'm lacking some motivation. I have read all the health benefits, cost savings, etc. Heck, I even saw a lung cancer operation film when I was a kid. The only thing that did was make me pass out anytime people talk about their surgeries LOL!

I am finding that I began this process of cutting back naturally. When I was 'happy' doing things I liked to do (painting furniture, repotting plants, anything creative) I can go hours and hours without even thinking of having a smoke. Maybe that's my key!

Well, I've painted every piece of furniture I own, my home is a jungle and I'm running out of room. Anyone need furniture painted or a plant repotted? LOL!

I'm sure I'll get there though....it's a challenge I intend to do well with!